USA Phone compatibility w/ Taiwan networks

I have a scratched up American Moto V3 Razr that back home is on the Cingular/AT&T network. I want to use it in Taiwan, but Cingular likes to create barriers to mobility for their customers, and secondly, I’m not sure if the hardware is even capable of interfacing with the (frequency?) network that the rest of the world uses (Is this tri-band? Quad-band?) I do not know which “frequency” my phone uses, but I mean, it’s not ancient, and I’m hoping it’s compatible.

When I insert a foreign SIM card, I get a prompt to enter a password which I do not know, and don’t think I’m meant to know. Is this the password required to “unlock” the phone and make it compatible with the rest of the world? Is there some back alley store that can get past this? Is there hope of using MY phone, and not starting a new relationship with the most cheapie phone I can find?

Any info, or 1337 haxzor referrals would be welcome!

RAZRs are compatible with Taiwanese networks. However, getting a mobile phone is so much more convenient in Taiwan than in the States that If I were you I wouldn’t bother with trying to figure out how to unlock an American RAZR.