USA salary / Taiwan based tax question (and confirmation)

Btw, I would get a 60 day Multiple Entry working Visa with the TW Economic/Foriegn Office in the US. Usually they award this for 2 yrs, you might be able to ask for 5. In my case I got 5 yrs. Theres one in Los Angeles K-Town and one in San Francisco. This Visa was created for your situation… Otherwise you can use the 90 day Visitor at your own risk but best not to tell immigration you’re here for work if they ask

Licensed tax expert specialize in individuals or companies. U.S. Expats working overseas. She’s in Taiwan.
She can help with Federal and State income taxes if you receive US Salary and your company sends you overseas for extended periods. Also on amended returns of past taxes you’ve done (IRS allows up to 3 yrs prior I believe)

Feel free to email her
edodson@siriuspackets.com

This is a little confusing. The TECO is willing to provide a visa for a purpose the NIA doesn’t approve of?

What’s it called in Chinese?

Im not sure about the visa stuff, I just know its 60 days and multiple entry. I think the person is just a consultant or something, like maybe going to check out a factory not actually work in the factory or office…

Anyways I’m no expert on it, my info might be wrong

Normally, permission to work is granted through a work permit or through an ESA Art. 51 (marriage etc.). There are visas that function as work permits, but the only type I’m familiar with is the working holiday visa. With that one, you can take any kind of job, as long as work isn’t your “main purpose” for going to Taiwan (there’s no clear definition of that, but someone at BOCA implied it just excludes full-time work), so if you use the visa correctly you shouldn’t need to worry about questions at the airport.

I’d like to know more about the other types of “work visas”, if anyone has information about them.

You seem more knowledgeable about it than me. This is the best I could dig up I think its this Visa here which is for US Citizens.

http://www.boca.gov.tw/content.asp?mp=2&CuItem=1903

Hrmm so this work visa issue thing is still up in the air for me. I entered here checking off three boxes - conducting business, sight seeing, and visiting relatives, all of which are 100% true. I did not check ‘employment’ haha. I am something of a consultant though so I feel conducting business is not incorrect for me? Well it is honestly a bit murkier than that. The only difference between me and the other people at my company who make these rounds with the Taiwan partner company though is simply the amount of time I’d stay here. Anyway I probably will just get my TARC and get a permit through the TARC as I feel that’s the easiest path. Would getting the TARC screw me over though for this magical low tax miracle that I might be looking at?

Actually I don’t know that much about the Visa stuff, I think you did the same as me. I just left every 60-90 days. In all those years I only got asked a couple times what I was doing, I just said I was visiting family if I used the 90 day Visa. If I used the 60 day they never asked. Mostly because the immigration officers know like a third of the English teachers in TW do this and they all turn a blind eye. Whats a TARC? Is it like an ARC? You should ask her it could screw you over tax wise…

It’s basically an ARC but for people with the ROC passport w/o household registration. Well it’s “better” than an ARC in that it comes with a lot of additional benefits. It’s along the path to household registration for people like me (generally ABTs). Will need to check with your friend, but I feel like it could torpedo the tax thing.

I know the Household registration (Hukou) thing will sink the Tax return stuff.
Possibly the ARC too, you can ask my friend.

Ah yes, that’s a visitor visa for business purposes. It sounds like the kind of thing that’s meant for inspecting factories and attending meetings, but I’m not aware of what the law actually says about it.

If you have an “Academic and Business Travel Card”, you have permission to work.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0090027

Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers

Article 5

The entry visa or the entry permit held by a foreign worker who engages in the occupations referred to below shall be deemed to be a work permit and the period of stay allowed by the visa or the permit shall be within thirty days:

1. To engage in work mentioned in Paragraph 3, Article 51 of the Act.
  2. To help assist in the solution of emergency cases and related problems for the purpose of public welfare and to engage in work prescribed in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act.
  3. To engage in speeches or commercial technical advisory work, as prescribed in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act, as well-known experts recognized by the central authorities in charge of the relevant industries or invited by post-secondary institutions, government agencies at all levels, and their affiliated academic research institutions.
  4. To engage in non-profit artistic and cultural performances or sporting events at the invitation of government agencies at all levels or foreign missions or institutions in Taiwan.

A foreigner who holds an Academic and Business Travel Card issued by the immigration authority and is engaged in speeches or commercial technical advisory work provided in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act shall be deemed as being given a work permit in the event that the period of stay granted in the entry visa or the entry permit is within ninety days.

Afaik the only such card is the APEC one. The reference to Art. 46 of the ESA means “specialized and technical work”.

2 Likes

Man you really know your stuff about Visas

No, not really, just more than the average FOB.

Perhaps someone like @Feiren or @hsinhai78 knows more about this.