USA targeting journalists (again)?

For those who aren’t keeping score, the death toll for journalists in Iraq has reached at least 73:

thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten … 0599119419

now i’m not suggesting that antonia zerbesias is a saddam apologist who hopes to see insurgents drive the us out of iraq and take control. but who knows? :loco:

yeah, that line of logic works SO well.

sgrena also says that there were HUNDREDS of rounds fired at the car. pictures show 1 bullet hole in the windshield. sgrena also admits they were driving recklessly on the road.

it’s a tragedy that someone was killed, but suggesting that the troops targeted the car on purpose because they knew it carried a reporter is pretty far fetched.

just a quick question on that 73 number. how many were killed by us bullets? and how many were killed by insurgent bombs/bullets/beheadings?

DB, how about some counterbalance to your “Thread?”

abcnews.go.com/WNT/International … 069&page=1

This is very intersting, and I’m trying to find HER quote where she says nearly the same thing: That the car was travelling at high speeds and they were all laughing.

from powerlineblog.com
powerlineblog.com/

[quote]Finally we have a photo of the car that Giuliana Sgrena was riding in when it was shot at by American soldiers at a checkpoint between Baghdad and the Baghdad airport. Ms. Sgrena has said that:

A Humvee appeared, and suddenly the car carrying her came under fire. “It rained bullets. We didn’t have any way of knowing where they were coming from. They fired for a few minutes. It was the worst thing I have lived through.”

In the left-wing Independent, Sgrena says that the American soldiers fired 300 to 400 rounds into her car. Only…with the possible exception of one bullet, they missed her windshield; click to enlarge:

For a vehicle that was riddled with hundreds of bullets fired by normally sharpshooting American soldiers, the car shows astonishingly little damage. If there is any broken glass, it isn’t evident in the photograph. We have a long way to go before getting to the bottom of this story.[/quote]

OK, so 300-400 bullets all went through the open windows, killing one guy and the rest of them left the other side of the car, through the open windows??? Or did the dead guy absorb ALL the rounds himself?

OK I got it: her words are in black

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ … h&only=yes

We

Harald Doornbos’ (a Dutch communist reporter) view of Giuliana Sgrena:

[quote]‘Be careful not to get kidnapped,’ I told the female Italian journalist sitting next to me in the small plane that was headed for Baghdad. ‘Oh no,’ she said. ‘That won’t happen. We are siding with the oppressed Iraqi people. No Iraqi would kidnap us.’

It doesn’t sound very nice to be critical of a fellow reporter. But Sgrena’s attitude is a disgrace for journalism. Or didn’t she tell me back in the plane that ‘common journalists such as yourself’ simply do not support the Iraqi people? ‘The Americans are the biggest enemies of mankind,’ the three women behind me had told me, for Sgrena travelled to Iraq with two Italian colleagues who hated the Americans as well.

“You don’t understand the situation. We are anti-imperialists, anti-capitalists, communists,’ they said. The Iraqis only kidnap American sympathizers, the enemies of the Americans have nothing to fear.”

But they knew better. When we arrived at Baghdad Airport, I was waiting for a jeep from the American army to come pick me up. I saw one of the Italian women walking around crying. An Iraqi had stolen her computer and television equipment. They were standing outside shivering, waiting for a cab to take them to Baghdad.

With her bias Sgrena did not only jeopardize herself, but due to her behavior a security officer is now dead, and the Italian government (prime minister Berlusconi included) has had to spend millions of euros to save her life. It is to be hoped that Sgrena will decide to have a career change. Propagandist or MP perhaps. But she should give up journalism immediately.[/quote]

nederlandsdagblad.nl/newsite … p?id=57903

And this from the Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera:

[quote]We

She is a communist in the year 2005. Thus, at risk of tautology, she is a lying, brainless, dangerous twerp.

She is a communist in the year 2005. Thus, at risk of tautology, she is a lying, brainless, dangerous twerp.[/quote]

I actually heard an interview with Sgrena’s boss (one of the founders of Il Manifesto, the communist magazine Sgrena worked for), and this woman (the boss) sounded surprisingly lucid and reasonable. She was, for example, very careful to make clear that they were NOT accusing the US troops of intentionally targeting Sgrena. She said that while “we may never know exactly what happened”, her basic take was that this just showed that Iraq was a dangerous place and that she thought the US troops were “arrogant” and not concerned enough with preventing civilian casualties. Obviously this is a position highly critical of the US, but it is a far cry from the more hysterical “It was an assassination attempt” conspiracy theories.

Comrade -
Excellent post. Thanks for your work

Hobbes -

Of course not. That filthy task is assigned to toady’s on various internet chat boards.

Oh my…just look what those Italians have been up to!

[quote]Iraq rebels treated in hostage deal-Italy Red Cross

ROME (Reuters) - The Italian Red Cross treated “four presumed Iraqi terrorists” at its Baghdad hospital in order to secure last year’s release of two kidnapped Italian aid workers, a senior Red Cross official was quoted as saying on Thursday.
Maurizio Scelli, the outgoing commissioner of the Italian Red Cross, said the deal to free the two Italian women, Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, was kept secret from U.S. officials.[/quote]

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … pping_dc_2