USA taxation without representation

A number of my USA friends around the Taiwan area have commented over the last few years that whenever they have tried to contact a Senator or Representative by email, they always received a reply that said they must indicate their mailing address in that CONGRESSMAN’S DISTRICT, otherwise no answer could be given.

My friends had assumed that when writing about foreign affairs matters, to members of the foreign affairs committee(s) for example, those kinds of restrictions would not apply . . . . but they were sadly mistaken.

This entire subject brings us to the issue of “taxation and representation.” Who represents “overseas USA citizens” in the Congress? We are told that the world is getting smaller and smaller. So many people live in other countries. And we have a number of different concerns from those people who are living within the 50 states . . . . .

But who listens to us? I cannot figure it out. And yet we are still liable for federal taxes on our worldwide income!!!

Does anyone have any insights on how this “taxation without representation” might be construed (under US law) as in any way being repugnant to the Constitution? a violation of our civil rights perhaps??

Comments?

hey hartzell,

now i’m no expert on the constitution, but at least from what i know that taxation w/o representation refers to the right to vote, not necessarily the write to right…no right to write (there we go) letters to our congressmen expressing our views. i guess they have the system setup that way so that a pac can’t just send e-mail to every congressmen in one fell-swoop. and (acknowledging this may give the impression that i think the gov’t. actually is doing a good thing) they probably have it set up TO ENABLE your avg. citizen to express their views and not have their views be lost in the storm of pac propaganda/information (depending on how one looks at it).

at any rate, if you can still vote and still send a letter to the congressmen, unfortunately that means that you’re taxed with representation. now, whether those who we get the chance for actually represent us, well, that’s another story.

Didn’t you guys fight a revolutionary war over this issue?

FORUMOSA.COM MEMBERS:
I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL RECENTLY. I WONDER IF ANYONE CAN PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION ON THE RELIABILITY OF WHAT IS BEING PROMOTED HERE. Thanks – Duncan
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Are you still paying taxes?
Did you know that most people are legally and lawfully eligible to be tax exempt?

Visit our site and fill out a simple form at:
nettaxfreedom.com/tax/tax.html

This means if you are a wage earner, FULL PAY CHECKS
This means if you are a business owner, NO QUARTERLY FILING’S

This invitation comes directly from the IRS.

For more Information on how you can be TAX Free,
Terminate ALL PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE TAXES.

Visit our site and fill out a simple form at:

Eliminate ALL Tax’s PAST, PRESENT, And FUTURE
Terminate Tax Liens, Levy’s, And Judgments

I invite you to find out more.

For more Information on how you can be TAX Free,
Terminate ALL PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE TAXES.
You Must leave Your Name, Phone Number,Email Address,

VISIT OUR SITE and fill out a simple form at…

All answers will be kept confidential and will not be shared or sold to any third parties.
Your name was part of an opt-in group who wish to recieve tax assistance.

Richard