Usage of the word "America"

Great! Accuse a Breton of being a Briton. To make sure he understands, clarify that you’re accusing him of being British, not Britannic, Britonnic or Brythonic. See how it goes down. :popcorn:

If there were an easy way to distinguish inhabitants of the so-called American continent from those of the USA, something like American vs. Amerigan (or Amerikan?), that would settle this silliness. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with the stupid language called English. If you want Spanish to take over, you know what you have to do. :slight_smile:

In the end though, we are all displaced Pangaeans… :rainbow: :penguin: :elephant: :cat2: :camel: :lion_face: :dog2: :smiley: :peace:

America as in the continent? Hinting @mad_masala

Yes. It’s small potatoes compared to Eurasia.

I see that some people still need help and a couple of lessons for overcoming their stupid ethnocentrism, and because I’m generous but lazy as fuck I’ll just link this:

And quote this:

" The Americas (also collectively called America ;[4][5] French: Amérique , Dutch: Amerika , Spanish and Portuguese: América ) comprise the totality of the continents of North and South America"

And mention @Rocket just for fun.

Yes, “Americans” should look for a better colloquial name for their country. And they should just accept that Peruvian and Canadian and Mexican are as much American as the yankees.

2 Likes

“The Americas.” What a joke! There’s only room for one America in this here Hemisphere. :wink:

3 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America

I know Wikipedia is like the Bible for MM so this should clear it up.

I’d open if it… but it’s pointless. I already know that because USA influence, and because the rest of the World is way too polite, we ended up adopting their way of speaking so that they don’t feel offended, even if later on we laugh at them when they turn their backs. Nah, I don’t care. Just propose a different and better name and we polite people will adopt it.

How about “Miserable Yankees”?

Personally I like it, wouldn’t mind to go with something like that.

1 Like

How about Greater Texas?

1 Like

Well that’s on you. You say what you like! On behalf of America, we won’t be offended.

Not bad, not bad. Or “The country where if you don’t have money you can’t go to a hospital” :smiley:

3 Likes

Very nice of the Peruvians, but I’m not totally sure…

Hmm, doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue now does it?

1 Like

Dunno… Mine has to make a lot of movements for saying it

Of the bowel variety? :thinking:

That would be more Taiwanese concept of American pizza

Then you get those chunks of corn…

omg, thank you. It’s so annoying that Americans call the US “America.” I’ve been complaining about this at anyone who will listen for years. Most Americans are so ignorant of the world around them. Before I left, I told a man fixing my car I was moving and would be teaching “English.” And he asked “you’re going to teach 'Murican?”

No! I’m going to teach English. People in the Americas speak more than just English, including… wait for it… SPANISH (and others). What a moron.

I wonder what our local and literal Nazis would do if I said Mexicans are Americans. F!ck the United States.

3 Likes

Your post makes me want to burn a flag…respect! I have an extra Canadian flag patch for your backpack if you need one.

2 Likes

The thing is that I honestly don’t know if @unwat is taking the piss or being serious :joy:

1 Like