USB-C in Taiwan? C17?

I bought a USB charging cable for my Samsung mobiles from Germany and Thailand.
The cable says “USB-C17” (what does 17 mean?), “適用 type C” (what does type mean?).
The plug looks like a Thai or German USB-C plug but it does not fit into the phone’s socket.
The seller doesn’t know why, Samsung hotline tells me to ask the seller, Google in Chinese or English is no help.

Are there different standards of USB-C for Taiwan (US standards?)?

USB type C is the same anywhere. The only C17 I can find is the product number for a certain type-C cable.

Which Samsung phone are you planning to use the cable with?

no

Post a picture of the cable connector and your phone’s charging port.

I guess the 17 stands for the pins. USB 17 pin to USB-C (17 pins) .

Samsung Note fan edition (= refurbished Note 7) (pictured) and Samsung Galaxy tab S3

Just count the pins, 17.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/QAAJFZ-A900A9533

USB-C is a 24-pin connector system.

It this case USB-C17 is just a product number from this company.

Might be a faulty cable where the cable port is not up to the standard. (too tight)
Compare it to another USB-C cable. The dimensions must be same.

Yes, this is the cable i bought.
To the naked eye, it looks identical to the original Samsung cable.

Went back to the shop.
None of the other “USB-C” plugs they sell fit into my phones.
(The 17 really seems to be the model name)

Has anybody ever connected a Taiwanese USB-C to a European or South-East Asian one?

USB-C is a global standard. Take your phone to a Samsung dealer or whatever phone shop and they will sort you out.

I was asking about a simple fact.
Has anybody ever connected a Taiwanese USB-C to a European or South-East Asian one?

Simple fact is that is a universal standard so it doesn’t matter where you got your devices from. USB-C is USB-C.

But okey I have an Samsung phone bought in US, my GF uses a Sony phone she actually got in Japan, I have some sort of airbuds I got in UK, my GF has a portable Sony speaker she got in Taiwan, I have an ASUS battery pack (highly recommended). I use a Philips USB-C cable from family mart or 7-11 in Taiwan and because it’s USB-C it works with all devices.

1 Like

Most likely they all were made in China.

Like people already said. USB-C is a universal standard.

USB is a spec for the plug itself, so (as myiple people have said) there’s no other type of usb.

If you’ve tried more than one usb cable and they don’t fit, I’d be looking at your phones socket to see if there’s any debris in there, or if something is bent.

If it’s just the one cable on your picture you’ve tried, or you’ve only tried similar ones, I might suspect that the housing is interfering with it fully seating.

1 Like

Yes, I use Taiwanese USB-C cables in European sold phones and European made PCs/Mainboards (yes there was such a thing) successfully.

And again, also I assure you that there is only one global USB-C spec, including mechanical dimensions.

My best guess is that there is something wrong with both phones, however unlikely it may sound. Maybe some deformation…

Does it not fit as in “I can’t plug it at all”, or does it not connect as in “I plug it in but it doesn’t work”?

Are you sure your phone supports USB-C? Maybe it’s some proprietary standard.

HTC did that for a while, they nipped off a corner of the USB connector.

Good idea. I asked Samsung, they don’t tell me the specs of their connectors. In the written specifications they write “USB C” and “USB 3.1”, they use both words as if they were interchangeable.

The ports look like USB C. But I cannot insert 3 plugs from 3 different brands in 3 different ports from different Samsung models… They slide in for 2mm, then hit an obstacle (it is not just tight, and i cannot just press them in), so the last 1mm cannot slide in.

Googling “USB C” and “compatibility” opens a pandora box of incompatibilities, but they seem to talk about electrical issues and protocols, not a simple mechanical misfit.

Samsung is very unhelpful, BTW.

Silly question: does the connection work, despite looking not fully inserted?

Sometimes the issue with USB cables us the additional protection case interfering with the cable plastic head. Maybe try removing the case?