USB playing hard to get

My wife wanted something she could carry around and move over when convenient. :cry:

That makes sense. I do too. My process is backup via wire to a computer. Then go computer onto an SD card. Doesn’t help your issue now, but I have way fewer issues this way than with those flash drive type things which always fail and break.alternatively just store on the Micro sdcard. That’s a game changer, so easy now. My current phone doesn’t have the slot, but I thunk basically everything does now. Easy to swap out and can get pretty big storage on those tiny things now.

1 Like

https://sosdatarecovery.com.tw/

1 Like

It isn’t necessarily dead or unrecoverable. There are drive-recovery tools available from, ahem, various places (and you can also pay to buy one if you like) but you generally need to have a certain amount of technical aptitude to make them work - you need to understand what a sector is, or what a partition table is, for example.

Some are more user-friendly than others. They basically work by scanning the drive sector-by-sector and looking for things that appear to be known file headers (common file types have recognisable stuff at the start of the file describing what the file is and what’s in it), and then reconstructing the table-of-contents. But some have a good level of built-in intelligence and some need a bit more prodding with a stick.

A bit of googling threw up a thingy called DiskGenius which has a free version (apparently), but there are dozens of them out there. Try a few different ones - if the stick is successfully detected as a USB device but no drive letter appears, you have a fairly good chance the contents are recoverable.

1 Like