USB transfer/linking 2 computers

How can I connect 2 computers together to transfer files from my old computer to my new computer? USB?

Thanks
Ryan

[quote=“surrenr”]How can I connect 2 computers together to transfer files from my old computer to my new computer? USB?

Thanks
Ryan[/quote]

microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin … ber12.mspx

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“surrenr”]How can I connect 2 computers together to transfer files from my old computer to my new computer? USB?

Thanks
Ryan[/quote]

microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin … ber12.mspx[/quote]

These days, null modem cables are (as suggested in the article) are becoming scarce. I just tossed mine out a couple of days ago. If you can find one, great, but if not you can accomplish the same thing (but with different commands) if you have Ethernet ports on both machines. Just about every computer made in the past five years has an Ethernet port (or an add-on Ethernet card).

As with null modem cables, there is an equivalent for Ethernet (a “cross-over” cable). If you have a router or hub, you won’t even need that.

regards,
DB

I would go with the Ethernet (crossed cable required) or a USB connection - there are USB cables available that are specifically for the purpose of linking two computers, usually they spot a small box in the middle.

I just got one of those last week. Can’t get the bugger to work!
I better make an entirely new thread about this… :unamused:

Having a huge problem trying to get this USB data transfer cable to work.

I have 2 PCs connected to a HUB which is then connected to an ADSL modem (to get online).
One of the PCs (lets call it pcWhite) has a DVD burner. So I would like to connect both PCs together for file transfer (pcWhite and pcSilver) and then be able to burn some DVD stuff.

The problem is, when trying to use the “SuperLink” program I got with the USB cable, I try to “Open Remote” and I get this error “Device Not Loaded”. I have tried all I can, but can’t figure out how to load the device, who knows if it’s even possible.

The USB cable has installed itself as a network connection “USB Virtual Network Adapter”.
I tried using the windaz home office networking wizard. All seems to go fine, but when trying to connect to view other computers on the workgroup, there are no other PCs listed there (Yes, the workgroup is the same name on both PCs). :fume:

pcSilver’s network config looks like this

pcWhite’s like this

I also tried bridging the 1394 Connection and USB Virtual Network Adapter connections, but that didn’t work either.
Also, why would it install 1394 Connection and USB Virtual Network Adapter when only USB Virtual Network Adapter would be needed?

Am I doing something wrong? Have I not done something?
I have tried for days, but to no avail.
Any help is very much appreciated.

The USB cable is a generic brand (Pro Link USB 2.0, Networking / Data Link 480mbps)

PC Specs:

pcSilver
Asus A7V8X mobo
AMD XP 2000 CPU (1.67ghz)
512mb RAM
SP1
USB 2.0

pcWhite
K7S5A mobo
AMD Duron 1ghz
512mb RAM
SP1
USB 2.0 (I think, any way to check?)

Why do you need a USB transfer cable when you got a hub?
You should be able to set up a network using only the hub… right? :unamused:

This is an ADSL sharing HUB, not a computer linkup HUB.

Given that this hub is external from the ADSL modem itself wouldn’t it be the same thing?

Check that the PCs allow sharing, this might be a reason you can’t connect. In the worst case you may need to copy the files from PCsilver to PCwhite first, then use PCwhite only for the burning - just open one directory for sharing using the Explorer.

If all fails and the ADSL hub does not function like a normal hub get a, well, normal hub.

1394 aka FireWire should not be needed at all in your case, it’s a seperate interface (mostly used with DV camcorders though it can also be used for networking). The connection is always shown however if the hardware is present.

Not in this case. It’s never worked for sharing files.

Tried that, it won’t let me share a drive or folder as the “server service” isnt started. I can’t find how to start it either.

I’m too cheap to do that. Thats why I bought a cheap USB cable. Perhaps too cheap.

Ah! That’s what that is. It’s because of a TV Card in that computer.

I have a similar (?) cable using a program called PC-Linq. The program needs to be installed on both computers. I bought it when I lost my job, to transfer all my stuff from my office computer to a laptop. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not, sometimes inexplicably slow to connect…

Mine looks like this:

Manufacturer: Dongnan (Hong Kong)

Ok, I gotta ask this stupid question: did you actually configure PCwhite in the same way you did with PCsilver (including to install the driver/SW for that cable)? I don’t see the USB device in the network settings of PCwhite.

Do you have any firewall installed? It needs to be disabled on both PCs.

Strange. I just need to right-click on the folder that I want to share, select “Properties” and then “Sharing”. From there you should be able to modify the “Network sharing and security” settings.

The “entirely new thread” is [url=USB transfer/linking 2 computers Personally, I think the two threads should be merged.

I bought something like that PC Link device (might be the same one actually). It was so much trouble to use I stopped trying.

Windows networking is a serious nightmare. I had one going, but it conked out after I upgraded a couple of systems. I’ve given up on trying.

I’ve discovered the fastest and easiest way to transfer files is by using a flash memory stick. Copy files from one computer onto the stick, plug it into the other computer and copy. In about a minute I can transfer 100 MB this way.

Are you really sure about that? :unamused: It’s possible, but I haven’t seen any such device without networking capability…

Anyway, if you just need a temporary solution to share some stuff for burning on DVD (and you only have two computers), why don’t you use a simple crossover cable? That’s a network cable with some of the wires switched… and it’s much cheaper than a USB transfer cable… especially a USB 2.0 one.
You should be able to find a crossover cable almost anywhere, even at the supermarket. It looks like a normal ethernet cable, but it should have a label saying “crossover”. You simply connect the two computers directly using that cable… and maybe use the “wizard” in Windows to set up the network.

I want to stop here as I’m confused (and real rusty with networking).

If memory serves correctly you would not be able to hookup a DSL modem to a hub and the hub to two (or more) computers. I mean you can physically do it, but the internet won’t work.

If your Interent is working, then that hub must be a router of some sort (or something). AH!, it’s something!

This is probably what you’re looking for. I’d ditch that hub and get a proper router.

homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

[quote=“Andre”]why don’t you use a simple crossover cable?
[…snip…]
You should be able to find a crossover cable almost anywhere, even at the supermarket. It looks like a normal ethernet cable, but it should have a label saying “crossover”. You simply connect the two computers directly using that cable… and maybe use the “wizard” in Windows to set up the network.[/quote]

Actually if you have an ethernet modem supplied by Hinet or the like then you most likely already have a crossover cable between your ADSL modem & hub. If you ain’t sure its a crossover plug it between the 2 PCs if the green lights turn on on the cards then it is…

That being said, if you are not able to share through the hub then you most likely will have the same issue using the direct connection method.

I presume you use the dial-up software from Hinet on each machine to make a connection, if so I would hassard a guess and say you don’t have fixed IPs (internal not public) set on the cards, so the machines will not see each other. If you are using a regular hub between the 2 machines it will not have a DHCP server. Setting a fixed IP should not interfere with the ADSL side of things. Try something like:

pcSliver
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

pcWhite
IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

If they are on the same workgroup Windoze should be able to find from here…

You can put the DVD burner into the other computer. Then burn the DVDs and put the DVD burner back into the first computer for reading.

You can transfer files via MSN Messenger. They will transfer incredibly quickly if they are both on a network like yours. But you can only transfer up to three files at a time.

Given that hubs of different quality are available, I don’t believe that anything of this kind is.

TP, if posssible, could you tell me if you have any firewall software running on your computers?

If so, have you set them up to accept connections with each other(the computers)?

A standard network hub really is enough. As well, you could try turning off your firewall software on both computers while you try to connect them.
Perhaps you’ve already tried, but have you allocated ip addresses to the network cards on each of the machines?

If you like, you can give me a call and maybe I can guide you through the motions.

09 76 36 64

-Nam