USD6000/month teaching in China True or False?

Friend of a friend is going to teach engerish in China. Says promised salary is US6000/month but tax is USD2000/month.

Sound fishy to me, what say you? Those that have been there.

Plot twist: It’s RMB and your friend will live in Gansu, where this is actually pretty good.

4 Likes

Is he/she a qualified teacher?
If not I smell more than a hint of bullsheet.

Qualified Biology teacher. Have to ask what kind of school he will be teaching english at.

Teach english? Not engerish?

1 Like

maybe

I think that’s like 30,000 RMB per month. If it was a well known school it would be high, but not suspiciously so. If it’s an unheard of school it might be too good to be true.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but 6,000 USD is 42,000 RMB.

1 Like

I read it to mean 4,000 USD after tax, which is 28,277 RMB on xe.com today.

I live and work in Shanghai; even in a tier 1 city like this, that is about 2.5 times the average salary for what an English teacher would get. Even the top private schools wouldn’t be anywhere close to that.
Sounds like it’s in RMB, not dollars, and that it’ll be in some shitty tier 3 city. Avoid.

https://www.concordiashanghai.org/about/employment/benefits-salary

Starting step is 330,000 RMB per annum. Top step is 510,000.

I think they might be the highest paying international school in Shanghai.

Got a friend who works in Concordia Pudong, head of one of the departments there. He’s hitting close to those figures; however, it’s very heavily dependent on qualifications and experience. Even at that, he’s not near the top. Been there about 4-5 years.
But that money that OP is quoting is a joke, really. Sounds like it’s either illegal or a scam to get his friend over there where they’ll later make up a story about how his salary will be a lot less or dependent on bonuses etc. Mind you, haven’t heard of stories like that for a few years.

1 Like

Yea unless its at a well known school - like Concordia - he should be suspicious because the reality might not be the same as what he was told. I knew a guy who took a too good to be true role in a school, and well it was all an illusion. There literally was no school.

Did they specify US dollars? If not, then warning bells should ring.

If your friend likes using the Internet, he’ll be disappointed, as the Internet is heavily censored in China. Consider Vietnam instead: it’s opening up. It’s what China was in the glory days of the early 2000s. The old China is becoming increasingly authoritarian and nationalistic.

I read unis on Hainan Island pays RMB 10K/month only so this figure is beyond imagination.

And there has been an increase in arrests of foreigners. Considering China has disappeared recently at least two Canadians, an INTERPOL president and one UK staff, I wouldn´t take the chance.

If friend is female do warn of risk of being sold as best as wifey, at worst, well, you know for what.

:thinking:

Are there cases of that happening to foreign teachers in China?

(I know there are kidnappings, but never heard of foreign females being kidnapped in that way)

Read about a British national a while ago. And I know happens to Latinas in Japan, they do the old switch trick, hire you for teaching, and you get there … it´’s something else.

1 Like

Time to post this again😀.

His conclusion : don’t go to China to teach English. It’s not a country that’s friendly to foreigners anymore. If anything goes wrong there you are screwed. It’s chock full of scammers and contracts mean nothing.

That being said obviously thousands do go every year.
Teaching English is mostly a mugs game though some mugs can make it work for them.

US$6000 a month teaching EFL/ESL in China?
That sounds like fake news, I don’t believe that.