Used car seat?

Does anyone know where I might find a good used car seat? My daughter is 11 months old and outgrew her old one. New ones are really expensive and I’d rather not shell out 12,000 NT for a seat we’ll probably use all of ten times (we don’t have a car). Suggestions?

You might be able to pick one up at the upcoming cityplaygroup rummage sale (on Sunday Dec 7th, info is in this parenting section). I also remember one being for sale at http://www.parentpages.net in the buy/sell.

The one I’ve got has this huge sticker on it that says “DO NOT USE THIS UNIT IF IT IS MORE THAN 10 YEARS OLD. PLASTIC PARTS MAY DEGRADE, RENDERING THE UNIT UNSAFE.”
So be careful.

I know this may not be comforting, but think about:

1. cost of new baby seat: 12k

2. POSSIBLE costs of medical costs related to POSSIBLE death/injury of YOUR child IN THE EVENT of an accident.

If you don’t want to shell out the money, dont put her in a car. Why take a chance on your kid’s life to save small money…

:ohreally:

Thank you asiababy for the constructive suggestion. Thank you Jack for your kind suggestion that I’m trying to kill my child to save a few thousand NT.

I am obviously not looking to buy a piece of crap that’s been handed down since the 1980’s. But since we’re selling our infant carseat, which has been used all of six times, I was hoping I might find something similarly lightly used.

BTW, if you are going home for Christmas and can wait till then, you could also pick up a good one. We got our two from the US, one from a friend and one on ebay, and a friend brought them over for us when they were visiting.

Has the baby grown out of it already? Most infant car seats can hold up to 22-30 pounds. Maybe the one you have can last you for your flight home.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]I know this may not be comforting, but think about:

2. POSSIBLE costs of medical costs related to POSSIBLE death/injury of YOUR child IN THE EVENT of an accident.

If you don’t want to shell out the money, dont put her in a car. Why take a chance on your kid’s life to save small money…

:ohreally:[/quote]

Self-righteous bullshit.
The guy doesn’t even have a car, yet he’s making sure he gets a baby seat that will properly fit his kid. That’s pretty responsible if you ask me.

Do you have kids, Jack Burton? (No need to answer)

Not a piece of crap that’s been handed down. Its one that we bought brand new about 10 years ago and ended up never using. A still-in-the-box, never-been-used car seat. I even called the manufacturer to make double sure and their rep assured me that it doesn’t matter if it’s been installed in a car all that time or if its still sealed in its original packaging, there’s a chance that there’ll be degradation of parts and they refused to guarantee its safety in any way and strongly advised that we should throw it away.
Which is a shame, as I was going to donate it. It was a VERY expensive model – over NT$20,000 as far as I remember.

Thanks Sandman. The “piece of crap” line wasn’t really pointed at your useful word of caution.

Something like that (but well within the sell-by date) is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for. There’s got to be a few around…

I know it doesn’t quite answer your question but for about 8K you can get a car seat that will last untill they are about 10. It comes in various stages. So at least you get some good use out of it. We found that in the baby shop above carrefour in Neihu

You could also try yahoo. They have loads of stuff for sale.

Can’t see it myself. OP reckons he’ll only use about ten times in total? So all the other journeys they make are on the bus or in taxis where you can’t use a car seat anyway.

Unless they are only planning to take the child out about ten times over the next 3-5 years?

I’ve got 4; you can have one if you like.

[quote=“smithsgj”][quote=“irishstu”]
The guy doesn’t even have a car, yet he’s making sure he gets a baby seat that will properly fit his kid. That’s pretty responsible if you ask me.

[/quote]

Can’t see it myself. OP reckons he’ll only use about ten times in total? So all the other journeys they make are on the bus or in taxis where you can’t use a car seat anyway.

Unless they are only planning to take the child out about ten times over the next 3-5 years?[/quote]

I’m not trying to start a fight, but what can’t you see? That he’s being responsible? Does the fact that he doesn’t have a car, so will have to use busses and taxis, make him irresponsible or something?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Jack Burton”]I know this may not be comforting, but think about:

Self-righteous bullshit.

Do you have kids, Jack Burton? (No need to answer)[/quote]

I wasn’t insinuating that he was being irresponsible, but I was just cautioning that it may be counterproductive to compromise with a “older” or “second-hand” seat since they are known to have problems after a certain amount of “use” - anyways, this is a NBC documentary I saw on baby seats.

So he may have the right intent, but he may be inviting trouble by compromising on the seat. Sry, i guess it’s the lawyer in me. Plus, I see lots of people in Asia taking shortcuts that end up hurting more.

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Jack Burton”]I know this may not be comforting, but think about:

Self-righteous bullshit.

Do you have kids, Jack Burton? (No need to answer)[/quote]

I wasn’t insinuating that he was being irresponsible, but I was just cautioning that it may be counterproductive to compromise with a “older” or “second-hand” seat since they are known to have problems after a certain amount of “use” - anyways, this is a NBC documentary I saw on baby seats.

So he may have the right intent, but he may be inviting trouble by compromising on the seat. Sry, i guess it’s the lawyer in me. Plus, I see lots of people in Asia taking shortcuts that end up hurting more.[/quote]

Hey Jack, I understand, and I don’t disagree that buying an old seat can have risks. However (and I don’t honestly know if you have kids), the thought of paying 12,000nt$ for a car seat that will get almost no use, when a perfectly good second-hand one is possible (assuming it’s a safe one), then I think your original post sounded pretty harsh, especially considering how much is costs to raise a kid these days, especially on an average wage.

A lot of people here (in Taiwan I mean) would just forget about getting a car seat altogether.

Anyway, I’m sorry if I misunderstood you.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“smithsgj”][quote=“irishstu”]

[/quote]

Unless they are only planning to take the child out about ten times over the next 3-5 years?[/quote]

I’m not trying to start a fight, but what can’t you see? That he’s being responsible? Does the fact that he doesn’t have a car, so will have to use busses and taxis, make him irresponsible or something?[/quote]

No not at all, but he’s going to use buses and taxis a lot. And buy a car seat which will only get used 10 times.

We have a car seat in our own car, and always use it even for the shortest trip. But we don’t normally transfer the seat to others’ cars. We don’t insist on driving two cars if it means a child has to sit on someone’s lap, for example.

If you have Taiwanese friends with kids, and if your kids go to school here, there are all sorts of occasions when your kids will travel by car without a car seat which you don’t really have any control over.

No scooter rides, and always use our own car seat in our own car is the way I’ve played it. Otherwise I’d be driving myself nuts over a risk which is probably substantially less than that incurred every time we take a taxi.

You have to choose your battles in this part of the world.

[quote=“smithsgj”]We have a car seat in our own car, and always use it even for the shortest trip. But we don’t normally transfer the seat to others’ cars. We don’t insist on driving two cars if it means a child has to sit on someone’s lap, for example.

If you have Taiwanese friends with kids, and if your kids go to school here, there are all sorts of occasions when your kids will travel by car without a car seat which you don’t really have any control over.

No scooter rides, and always use our own car seat in our own car is the way I’ve played it. Otherwise I’d be driving myself nuts over a risk which is probably substantially less than that incurred every time we take a taxi.

You have to choose your battles in this part of the world.[/quote]

OK, got you. In fact I think you and me have almost exactly the same approach.