Useful Info if you have a UK Passport and want a JFRV

I wrote this for a friend of mine whom recently got married to a Taiwanese girl. He couldn’t readily find the info regarding the application for a Joining Family Resident Visa (JFRV).
I’m posting this here because when I applied for my JFRV (Feb 2009), I also had a really hard time finding details on exactly what I had to do. The whole process is actually very easy. Finding out what is expected of you is the hard part. Maybe this’ll help someone.

My friend and I both got married in Hong Kong. If you do this you don’t need a certificate of no impediment from the UK (you’ll need this if you want to get married in Taiwan), and it’ll make things easier for you if you ever do want to go back to the UK with your wife, as the marriage certificate issued in Hong Kong is in both Chinese and English.
If you do get married outside of Taiwan you must take your marriage certificate to the Taiwanese Consulate in the country of marriage and get it authenticated. If the marriage cert is not in Chinese or English, you’ll have to get it translated.

Flow chart of what to do:
http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1308&ctNode=533&mp=2

Note 1: The household registration, health certificate and clean criminal record check must all be less than 3 months old when you submit them with the resident visa application.

Note 2: I got my health check done in Taiwan. Then, I then went back to the UK with the health check, household registration and marriage cert to apply for the visa (I had to go to the UK for other reasons). But you could just as easily apply for the visa from within Taiwan. The woman at the immigration office (where they issue the ARCs) advised me to collect all the paperwork (my passport, marriage certificate, household registration, health certificate and legalised clean criminal record check) and apply for the JFRV from within Taiwan.

1, You’ll need a clean criminal record certificate. Where yours comes from will depend on if you can prove that you’ve resided in Taiwan for the past 5 years.
This post:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=64552&start=0 on forumosa really helped me. It also contains some info about being able to get a clean criminal record check from the Taiwanese police if you can prove that you have lived in Taiwan for the past 5 years. If you can get the clean criminal record done locally it will save you a whole load of hassle as you wont need to send/receive anything to/from the U.K:
http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?id=362&tr_id=2
If you can’t get a clean criminal record certificate locally, you need to apply for the certificate from your local police force in England i.e. my U.K. address was listed as being in Hampshire, so I had to apply to Hampshire Constabulary. I started by emailing them for the application form: http://www.hampshire.police.uk/Internet/rightinfo/dp/subjectaccess.htm (link just for reference. Obviously, unless you are registered as living in Hampshire you’ll have to apply to a different constabulary). My clean criminal record cert was delivered in 10 days. I’m sure they’ll send it overseas for a price.

2, This step is only necessary if you get your clean criminal record cert (CCRC) from the UK: You have to get the CCRC legalised by the UK FCO: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/legalisation/. It took about a week for it to be returned.

3, Take your marriage certificate to the local government office (in Taiwan) and get your name put on your wife’s household registration. Get them to print you a copy of the household registration that shows she is married to you.

4, Go to a government hospital (in Taiwan) and get the health check done. Tell the hospital it’s a health check for a resident visa, as I think there are a few different checks - you’ll need a couple of passport photos for this. Cost was less than NT$1500, you need to wait a week for the results. Details of the health check here:
http://www.roc-taiwan.org/public/Attachment/9722463471.doc

5, Complete the application form: http://www.taiwanembassy.org/public/Attachment/97223245671.pdf

I was in the U.K., so I had to send my visa application form passport, marriage certificate, wife’s household registration, health certificate and legalised clean criminal record check to the Taiwanese embassy in London, info here: http://www.roc-taiwan.org
I got it all back, with a resident visa 3 days later. When you arrive in Taiwan, go get a (new) ARC, make sure you ask for multiple re-entry.

If you’re in Taiwan your send your visa application to boca:
When get the visa, go get a (new) ARC, make sure you ask for multiple re-entry.

The subject access report (“criminal record cert”) has to be sent to a UK private address (eg a friend) and then forwarded by the friend to the FCO. There wouldn’t be any point having the police send it straight here, and they don’t send direct to the FCO either.

After being certified by the FCO, the SAR also has to be certified by the Taiwan Rep Office in the UK. The TRO can return it direct to Taiwan.

To anybody who wants to get the visa whilst in the UK; you can get the SAR certified by the TRO at the same time as the visa application.

I’m a little confused.

Sussex Police doesn’t seem to have anything equivalent to the Hampshire Police site listed above.

I found disclosurescotland.co.uk which says it issues all kinds of documents including criminal record checks, though it doesn’t refer to anything about overseas residency or marriage. It seems to be based in Scotland but operate for the whole UK. Is this the document I need? I couldn’t find any other official central government agency. Couldn’t find precise details on MOFA or BTCO sites either.

So, do I apply to my local police, Disclosure Scotland, or someone else?

Thanks.

I think the best thing to do would be to email Sussex police directly and ask them.

As smithsgj said, the correct title of what you need is “subject access report”.

But what is it that the Taiwan authorities specify and say they will accept? I don’t imagine they have a list of instructions for every single country so I need to know their minimum requirements in order to find out what UK document meets Taiwan’s criteria.

i.e. I need to know what I’m asking for. Do I ask the NIA?

Because I’m such a stand-up guy, I did some searching for you…

Go here http://www.sussex.police.uk/foi/data_protection2.asp, scroll half way down the page to "For any other requests there are two types of application, these are:"

You want to do this:

'Please note that you can use both of these types of request as part of one single request. If you wish to do so please fill in a LOCAL form and indicate at the top that you would like a PNC disclosure."

Download and complete this form sussex.police.uk/foi/downloads/local.pdf

If you are still unsure, email Sussex Police and ask them what you need for emigration purposes.

So that you have a reference, I photographed my Subject Access Report for you:

Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Based on “Subject Access Report” above, I’ve just turned up this from the Criminal Records Bureau (though if yours worked, that’;ll be fine). This one appears to relate to employment and you need an employer to say they want it. http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Anyway, no time now to check the consistency of what I’ve just said, but thank you. Just to be clear, this is what you used for JFRV?

[quote]An individual cannot make an application for a Disclosure directly, and the Disclosure service does not apply to those people who are self-employed. This is because there needs to be an independent person who makes the decision to employ an individual having assessed that they pose no threat to either children or vulnerable adults in their care. If a person is self-employed there is no independent third party to make that decision.

There are two ways of applying for a CRB check. You will either be asked to:

* telephone the Disclosure application line on 0870 90 90 844, in which case you will need to provide the Registered Body name and number (Please have this information to hand when calling), or
* complete a paper application form handed to you by the person who asked you to apply.

In both instances, you will have to provide evidence of your name, address and date of birth, along with the Registered Body name and number, and the level of CRB check. This will help the person who asked you to apply, confirm your identity. [/quote]

You referenced this site: http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/
This is for employers only, this is not what you want.

[quote]Who can apply for a CRB Check?
CRB checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly but are only available to organisations and only for those professions, offices, employments, work and occupations listed in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.[/quote]

Yes, the form in my previous post was used for my JFRV in 2009, without any issue.

If you want further confirmation, you could also contact the TRO in London
http://www.roc-taiwan.org/uk/ct.asp?xItem=17946&CtNode=3247&mp=132&xp1=&timer=38920.31
I contacted them by email and phone during my application process, they really were helpful. No at all like the lazy good-for-nothings that man (some of) the government offices here.

I know what you are going through, when I wanted to get my JFRV it took me many many hours to work out exactly what I needed. The info out there is very vague. That’s my reason for starting this thread, I hope it helps.

The above is a document from the National Identification Service at Scotland Yard, regarding information held on you by Hampshire Police (I assume this means that if you’d been a bad boy elsewhere in the UK, Hampshire Police would have that information). http://www.police-information.co.uk/police-directory/view.php?id=49&cat=15&subcat=0&subsubcat=0&page=0

I see. Sorry if I ask a lot of questions but my computer is consistently crashing within 10 minutes of turning on, making it hard to get things straight before doing or saying anything.

Hmm if it helps at all, we got married in Vegas but had a banquet in Taiwan afterwards. The Taiwanese authorities were happy to accept dated pictures of the banquet as proof of the wedding - although we now have two wedding anniversaries!

When I wanted this piece of paper to prove I was not a crook: I wrote to Hampshire Police asking how to get such a thing for the purpose of emigration to Taiwan. They emailed me back the relevant application form. I printed it out, filled it in and sent it off. The letter from Scotland Yard (posted above) came back a short time later (the say to allow 40 days, but mine was much quicker than that).

Do you have something to hide? If not, why not just fill in a LOCAL form and indicate at the top that you would like a PNC disclosure. It costs the same, £10.

If you do have a criminal record it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t get a JFRV.

Or, why don’t you just email or phone Sussex Police and explain what you want? I’m sure they’ll be more than helpful.

Please do keep us updated, this thread may be of use to someone in your position one day.

[quote=“Paul Muskinbak”]Because I’m such a stand-up guy, I did some searching for you…

Go here http://www.sussex.police.uk/foi/data_protection2.asp, scroll half way down the page to "For any other requests there are two types of application, these are:"

You want to do this:

'Please note that you can use both of these types of request as part of one single request. If you wish to do so please fill in a LOCAL form and indicate at the top that you would like a PNC disclosure."

Download and complete this form sussex.police.uk/foi/downloads/local.pdf

If you are still unsure, email Sussex Police and ask them what you need for emigration purposes.

So that you have a reference, I photographed my Subject Access Report for you:
i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab25 … Report.jpg[/quote]

I’m really sorry to bump this old thread.

But, I have found this after some midnight searching as I am filled with worry and dread because of the Police report I have to do…

I have a Criminal record - From when I was young, and stupid. I’m 26 now which i still young, but all of this stuff happened when I was 18, so a legal adult in the UK and all of it will be on there, as light as day… The things on my record that could prevent me from getting my JFRV are just drunk and disorderly.

I intend to Marry my Taiwanese girlfriend of 5 years in HK and get a JFRV.

I couldn’t help but notice the Police report simply says ‘Sir/Madam’ on it, tempted to just use my girlfriends and edit my name onto it :no-no:

Am yet to sleep :frowning:, would love some advice from any fellow brits.

Don’t be stupid and commit fraud. Just fill it in and send it off. Surely you have learnt your lesson of being a numpty enough times?

You don’t say what your sentence was, for these crimes young man, but here is a list of how spent convictions work/long they last for. yourrights.org.uk/yourrights … spent.html

It is known as the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 or something like that. You will be fine.

It was a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but the concept of ‘spent’ convictions only applies on UK soil. I’ve done my research :frowning:. I have never spent time in prison. it was just a silly thing when I was young.

Wait until you get the report back. I was naughty when I was younger too. Mine had long been spent. My check came back, just like the one posted further back in this thread. Don’t worry until you see it.

That’s good to hear, cheers :notworthy:

I phoned up the Taiwan Rep Office in London and spent the past 20 minutes explaining my situation to a really nice lady who really put my mind at rest too. Told her what I imagine my criminal record check to look like and she said ‘I’ve seen people with similar records apply for the JFRV no problem’ Which feels good. She also said I can attach a covering letter to the application, so if it really as bad as I’m expecting, I can explain myself and maybe attach my CV so they know I’m not scum bag Chav, lol.

Dear Jaffa cake,

Good luck to you and please let us know how you get on. Are you going to apply in UK or Taiwan?