Useful Notes on Doing Laundry in Taiwan

Somehow I missed this the first time round. Hope you don’t mind I reply to it now.

I’m not so sure it’s to do with a different climate, but more a different idea of how to do laundry and different brands of laundry products that I am not yet familiar with. I came from a place where it rained 3-4 months in a row during the winter. We still got the same nasty stains on our socks because it would eventually soak through our shoes at some point. I would pop the now-black socks in the washing machine with a cheap laundry detergent and it would come out perfectly white in one wash. The washing machine we have currently seems like a much more expensive model than the one we had before and is nearly twice the size, so it’s not having a crap washing machine that messes it up. :laughing: The only differences between then and now are: water heated in washing machine v.s. cold water wash, different brands of laundry detergents and different laundry products (e.g. Vanish in powder or liquid form, no oxidising gel).

[quote=“yuli”]In this overall rather warm climate, some sturdy sandals are also very useful - water may run in quickly, but it also runs out quickly. :wink:
(I got used to wearing sandals in Europe and have never returned to the habit of wearing closed shoes. :wink: )[/quote]
I found a place I can buy waterproof shoes for less than EUR100, so that’s probably what I’m going to go for. I don’t like having dirty feet and I hate sandals, so, while I’m grateful for your suggestion, it’s not my first choice. :laughing:

Thanks! It sounds similar to this Vanish gel we used to get before. That stuff was amazing. You would put it on a blood stain and it would start fizzing up and removing it right before your eyes. :astonished:

Imo the most successful way to get stains out is to hand wash items. Soak it in water (hot is better), rub some liquid detergent in and keep rubbing until the stain comes out. But I’m lazy and I have plenty of white shirt with stains in them. I just don’t buy them anymore.

The comment about not bringing clothes from home because it’s a different climate here does not make any sense. It might be a surprise to some but most of the clothes in the world are made in the same countries and my US/Taiwan clothes are equal opportunity stainers. It’s the same cotton and the same huge array of synthetics.

[quote=“Abacus”]Imo the most successful way to get stains out is to hand wash items. Soak it in water (hot is better), rub some liquid detergent in and keep rubbing until the stain comes out. But I’m lazy and I have plenty of white shirt with stains in them. I just don’t buy them anymore.

The comment about not bringing clothes from home because it’s a different climate here does not make any sense. It might be a surprise to some but most of the clothes in the world are made in the same countries and my US/Taiwan clothes are equal opportunity stainers. It’s the same cotton and the same huge array of synthetics.[/quote]

Exactly. And I buy most of my clothes back in Vancouver when I go home for visits. Only leather can be an issue but I’ve had a leather jacket here for 15 years and it’s still fine. The trick is to leave space between clothes in your closet and open the doors regularly to dry things out.

Top Tip: Get a wife who’s good at this kind of thing.

… 'cause guys are too dumb.

trouble is, these young taiwanese girls do not do laundry , or cooking or shopping for food (they will for clothes it goes without saying).

Piffle, scout the department stores and outdoor holiday sales for the waterproof shoes. I got mine -again, two pairs brown and black, Timberland and Rockport- for 1000nts, not full 4000 plus price. You should be able to get them at the Shoe Street, at Zheng Zhong Market -between Boai and Zhongxin Street -which means between the camera and book streets. There is a Friday’s on Zhongxin Road, that’s the entrance. There is a big sign saying Shoe Street and it is closed to traffic.

Mine are street loafers, suitable for work, even for leisure. For 4K you can get the Timberland boots, there is a model that’s got fleese inside, very warm, but I dunno how necessary it can be here in Taiwan.

Icon has lots of good information but her pinyin is atrocious. :wink: Here’s the translation:

[quote]Zheng Zhong Market [/quote] Cheng Zhong Market (城中市場)

[quote] Zhongxin Road[/quote] Chongqing S. Rd. (重慶南路)

Actually, the “shoe street” is Yuanling St. (沅陵街)

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Apologies. Icon learned Chinese when pinyin was anathema and has never learned it well afterwards. Paisey.

icon , do you also speak taiwanese?

Or better yet - pick up the laundry at orange cleaners while shopping at Xara and if lucky grabbing two bowls of Mian Shen for dinner? Laundry do not understand…Oh the water machine for washing my shoes in…sure I know how to turn it on?

ella hablas espanol.

For those of you interested, the organic laundry powder will be on sale in Costco until the 18th.

El detergente en rebaja en Costco, hasta el 18 de diciembre.

I use dishwashing liquid. :sunglasses:

I thought SHOUT was good until I gota bottle of OXYCLEAN for shirt collars. BIG difference. Get the Oxyclean, its cheaper too. Well here in cAlif.

I know this is an old post. But reupping anyways.

how to deal with the smell when you hang clothes outside ? Using loads of fabric softner seems to help, but still the clothes don’t have that freshness smell to them. blame air pollution.

wondering how folks out there dealing with that problem ?

The only time I found some smell after washing clothes and hang them outside is because they are not dry enough . Usually this happens when is winter so I dry the clothes at the nearby coin laundry

Also you could change your Detergent brand , put less clothes inside the washing machine and add more detergent (I use 1 and half cup for a Medium load)

I use this detergent (白帥帥/ 鮮彩豔色抗菌洗衣精) from PX mart and clothes always smell good!

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DAAK0L-A9007C9GJ

2 Likes

Use hot water. And do smaller loads of washing more frequently.

I use a fan or dehumidifier to help the clothes dry faster.

1 Like