Useful Self-Help Books?

Yes, so I have issues. I most likely should be seeing a therapist of some sort. But one of my issues is that I shy away from these things.
I also shy away from self-help books because the ones I have tried were so gimmicky or just plain crappy that I couldn’t even manage to finish them. I would like to help myself though. I just feel that Amazon has rather steered me in the wrong direction. But it could just be that I don’t know how to look. Wondering if anyone here (or anyone they know) has gained any real useable insights from self-help books, and if so, what were they (the books OR/and the insights)?
Here are some things I would like to get a grip on:
self-abhorrence
depression
fear and its accompanying apathy
addictive behaviour
lack of motivation
foolishness
social retardation

Smart ass replies tolerated. Helpful replies welcomed gratefully.

You could try masturbation but don’t get caught.

well it is a christian book but is GREAT for this sort of stuff- Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend.
Ialso loved 7 habits of highly effective people

I am a self help book junkie- not becasue i really need the help, but because i am fascinated in the genre - such a money making exercise

really the best thing to do is change your lifestyle and habits one by one so that your body and mind is strong enough. I work with alot of depressed people as part of my work, and the very best thing you can do is exercise, eat healthily, have plenty of rest, and utilise your support groups (ie friends)

hope that helps

those feelings are never very nice to have inside you

r

You should be able to find this here-

“Who moved my Cheese?” isbn 957-0391-01-4 Chinese Version

Silly title, but it’s a serious book which will help you build self confidence and learn how to deal with situations as they change.

I bought it here in Chinese for my wonderful girlfriend. The author I believe is Spencer Jonson. It was $180. Well worth it.

You have made a brave step by posting :slight_smile: good luck. Life is what you make it, we all need help sometimes. Asking for it is the first step.

:laughing: Take care.

Limey :smiley:

I am reading a great book called Overcoming Depression, by Paul Gilbert. It helps you identify causes of depression and related conditions, and outlines some excellent cognitive methods to help you break out of negative thought cycles by challenging the thoughts before they surface. Sounds deep, I know but its a great read and very helpful.

I also recommend keeping a diary to write down all your thoughts, but dont buy a standard diary as each daily entry wont have enough space. Buy a big notebook and use that. Let those feeling pour out, be honest and it will be of benefit because it helps you keep track of your thinking patterns so you can utilize Gilbert’s book more effectively.

I really appreciate the pointers, suggestions, and encouragement here. Gonna check out a few of these for sure. Maybe I’ll even eventually resemble a well-adjusted human being…
(we should all have dreams). Thanks again.

When everybody turns on you, you finally become what you always knew you were in your heart from childhood: this alien, shunned being. And when you finally get what you want and you still feel like that, you realize that you are creating yourself. At least when you are a dope fiend you can attribute it to being a dope fiend, but when you realize it is just some addiction to alienation, it’s a bore.

Anyway that is what some movie producing ex junky said. Perhaps you can relate. I mean I think you should be able to. Isn’t it obvious you are just creating yourself? Why not create something else. I would recommend the Art of Happiness" by the Dali Lama as a good place to start

[quote=“Hilahila”]Yes, so I have issues. I most likely should be seeing a therapist of some sort. But one of my issues is that I shy away from these things.
I also shy away from self-help books because the ones I have tried were so gimmicky or just plain crappy that I couldn’t even manage to finish them. I would like to help myself though. I just feel that Amazon has rather steered me in the wrong direction. But it could just be that I don’t know how to look. Wondering if anyone here (or anyone they know) has gained any real useable insights from self-help books, and if so, what were they (the books OR/and the insights)?
self-abhorrence
depression
addictive behaviour
lack of motivation
foolishness
social retardation

[/quote]

I will recomend you Dianetics and Self Analysis by L. Ron Hubbard. I have tried them both and they are very useful. You should be able to find them in any major online bookstores,

Hope that helps,

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“Hilahila”]Yes, so I have issues. I most likely should be seeing a therapist of some sort. But one of my issues is that I shy away from these things.
self-abhorrence
depression
addictive behaviour
lack of motivation
foolishness
social retardation

[/quote]

I will recomend you Dianetics and Self Analysis by L. Ron Hubbard. I have tried them both and they are very useful. You should be able to find them in any major online bookstores,

Hope that helps,[/quote]

And when you are ready to start the CLEARING process just call the 800# listed for the Church of Scientology. One of their ready local minions will be happy to hook you up to their machine and start draining your bank account.

Personally I recommend you look into a martial arts class taught by someone who is reccomended to you. This will help you develop self-confidence and also be good for you physically.

Good luck.