Usefulness of solar panel in Yilan area?

[quote=“feropont”][quote=“sewersquid”]My prediction (I do not know the exact price of our turbines/system, I am an engineer not the one deal with money :smiley:)
2 pcs of DS-700 could cost around NT 30000 each, hence 2 x NT 30000 = NT 60000
12 pcs of 260 W solar panel cost around NT 15000 each, hence 12 x NT 15000 = NT 180000

These only the raw components, already NT 240000, then add batteries, inverter, cables, concrete foundation, tower could easily past NT 300000.
So, unless you are really a green-type of a guy, then maybe conventional electricity would better for most people.
And, yes, I am speaking as a wind turbine engineer who suppose to promote green energy :smiley:[/quote]
:frowning: Numbers quite sobering[/quote]

Yeah, green energy rather expensive compared to conventional burn-and-slash method of nuclear, coal or oil energy.
Believe me, no matter how expensive it is to connect to Taipower, using wind/water/solar will still be much more expensive.

The only reason many people buy renewable system because in many places (Japan, Germany, USA, and UK, at least) they could get a special discount (up to 75% of the initial cost could be paid by the government) and they could sell the produced electricity to the electric company by a special price.
But, not every country could afford it, ask Spain :smiley: They have major budget hemorrhage from trying to implement this.
Japan will follow suit soon :smiley:

The numbers might not need to be that high though. You might not need to generate that much power. The message board doesn’t really know your needs. You might be able to half those costs if you ran the AC sparingly (or not at all) in a small area. Or you could increase the number of batteries to give you a higher peak output (not exactly the correct term) but you won’t be able to sustain it for a long period.

sewersquid or his company (or another company) would be able to give you more ideas. You should also be able to build part of the system initially and add to it over time if you need more power (and have more money). There will be some components that need to be installed with this expected capacity increase in my mind or else you might have to replace them when you add to your system.