Using Alexa and Echo Dot in Taiwan

Hello. Is there a way to get Alexa to learn Taiwan attractions, restaurants, MRT info, bus schedules, etc???

I have enabled “Taiwan Facts” and “Taiwan Guide” to no avail. And so even though there is a Korean restaurant right outside my apartment community, when I ask Alexa for the nearest Korean restaurant, it says “I couldn’t find any Korean restaurants, but I am working to add more local businesses.”

Any ideas??

Would it be cynical to advise trying, “ Alexa , where is the worst food in the world “? My home country is renowned for the best food in the World :wink:. Seriously , I will ask someone how he has done this and reply . :blush:

I owned an Amazon Echo device a couple years ago. At the time there were thousands of skills available (probably hundreds of thousands by now); you just browsed to the website for Amazon Echo, downloaded any necessary code, and then simply asked Alexa and to enable the skill. Have you checked out all available skills?

eta: Also, have you asked the manager of the Korean place next door? What skill enables you to find his or her restaurant?

Thanks guys for your replies!! I am sure I have not checked into all possibilities. I just started messing around with it today. I just did a basic search for Skills with “Taiwan”. The two questions mentioned above seemed the best matches. Then I enabled them. And again, Alexa still has no knowledge of any kinds of landmarks.

I can get the weather and music though :slight_smile:

I had the same problem. Ended up getting into a fight with Alexa. She didn’t survive the fall 5 floors down…

1 Like

Ha ha - then perhaps I got “The Alexa Zombie”.

But it just seems like there must be a data collection of Taipei/Taiwan landmarks out there somewhere. Even if it is only 20% of the possible open businesses, there would still be big benefit. Hopefully, someone will have some info for me (an others).

1 Like

Echo devices suck outside of the US and a handful of other major countries. I highly recommend Google Home in Taiwan.

Why do you feel that way? My Echoes do mostly what I expect.

My biggest frustration is setting up Amazon accounts in countries outside Amazon Prime territories, namely the Philippines, where my mom lives. Her devices are using my account, which is a bother for my sister, who can only directly contact one device in my “group”, which is an Echo here in Taipei.