Using European electronic devices of 250 v in Taiwan: possible?

Hello,

I’m moving to Taiwan in September and I was wondering if it was possible to bring my European electronic devices such as hair dryer, kettle, etc. in Taiwan or if it’s just too complicated with the volt differences. I know I probably need a volt converter but is it easy to get in Taipei?
The easiest solution would be to buy devices there but I feel like it’s a waste of money since I have everything with me…

Thanks in advance for your replies :slight_smile:

Electronics are better and cheaper in Taiwan. If youre moving, save the save and buy it in Taiwan. I hate buying electronics in Europe. I see things marketed as new when it’s been out in the rest of the world for a long time.

Yea, if you’re good with electrical work you can wire up a 220v socket for your electronics or perhaps use the socket that AC units plug into. However not all AC are 220v (there are very small 8000 btu units that run on 110) so you have to confirm with a meter. But the way 220v is made in Taiwan (and in America too) is that it’s a split phase system, meaning 2 110v lives comes together to make 220v. Depending on whether your house was wired up in single phase or 3 phase the resulting voltage could be different (like 208v).

Some electronics that depend on AC frequency can be negatively impacted because Taiwan uses 60 Hz while rest of the world uses 50 Hz. It doesn’t matter with hair dryers though but if you plug it into a 110v line you just would get reduced heat and reduced motor speed.

To reduce wasted money, I’d suggest selling your products through local classifieds and repurchasing them here. While the air conditioner sockets ARE 220v. You are not likely to have them nearby for a hair dryer or kettle as well as you may only have one to three in the entire house.

Not to mention transformers are very expensive, heavy, and for hair dryers you need a really large one because those thing draws over 1000 watts.

and in the washroom full of that water and humidity is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: Guess the safest solution is to buy Taiwanese devises. I can’t sell my things in Europe because I’m only staying in Taiwan for 5 months as a student, that’s why I was thinking of making cutbacks :sweat_smile:

Perhaps that is true in general, but it sure isn’t for TVs. A high end LG OLED is over 3 times the cost in Taiwan than America. I can buy a Samsung QLED made in Taiwan in the US and ship it to Taiwan, and it will still be US$1,000 cheaper than buying it in Taiwan.

For low watt electronics the voltage converters can be small and cheap. For something like a TV or a high powered coffee machine, you’ll need a beast of a step-up step-down converter. I did this in Singapore (the opposite way as you) with no issues.

1 Like

Idk about TVs. Never bought one in Taiwan. But I was talking about comparing to Europe. TVs are costly in Europe as well. A lot of things like sounds systems are more expensive.

Then I would sell the devices you buy in Taiwan to recoup some of your costs. Think of it like renting!

Big problem though is that Taiwanese TVs have DVB Tuners and US/Canadian TVs use ATSC. While originally they(US/CA/TW) both were NTSC, Taiwan has chosen to use DVB which has different codecs. If you plan to actually use your TV here on Coax, you may run into compatibility issues. If you only use HDMI, then I can’t see any issue as HDTV resolutions and framerates are standardised and universal (THANK GOD)

You can maybe even find them on sale on sell and buy facebook groups for your city.

Generally I’d say: if it heats, cools, or does heavy work - transformers are unlikely to be a viable alternative.

For smaller stuff they might be, and lower wattage ones are not very expensive.

Although for houses with a 3 phase supply, there is a really large transformer for all the 110v appliances. Not sure why it’s needed. I always thought each of those legs are 110v. 2 of those legs give you 220v anyways.

Thanks for the info…no plan to use anything other than HDMI. I don’t plan on another regular cable subscription ever again.

Doesn’t have to be cable. OTA channels are free and many buildings have antennae. They use coax as well.

I don’t know what OTA is, but I know I don’t watch it.

OTA is over the air. Most countries broadcast some channels for free.

I was right…I won’t watch them :smiley:

TVs and soundsystems are way cheaper in some countries in europe than here.

There are differences in price between countries in europe, what country are you referring to?

At least the following is roughly half price in northern europe to what you would pay here, B&O speakers, Jura coffee makers and induction stoves.