Using the Health Insurance card abroad

A friend of mine once used the health insurance card abroad for an accident. I heard something like the insurance paid about 70% of the damage.

Anyone else used the health card abroad? Are there exceptions - e.g. only to be used in emergencies, only can be used in certain hospitals or certain treatments?

Any input appreciated.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]A friend of mine once used the health insurance card abroad for an accident. I heard something like the insurance paid about 70% of the damage.

Anyone else used the health card abroad? Are there exceptions - e.g. only to be used in emergencies, only can be used in certain hospitals or certain treatments?

Any input appreciated.[/quote]

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … ta_id=3185

[quote]Emergency Care When Traveling Abroad
There are times when due to an emergency, patients don’t have time to go to a NHIA-contracted clinic or hospital and end up visiting a non-contracted health care institution for emergency care. Others may get injured, fall ill, or give birth when traveling abroad for pleasure or on business and receive treatment at a health care institution overseas. In all of these cases, patients end up paying for care out of their own pocket. But if you submit the necessary related documents and an application to any NHIA branch office before the established deadline, NHIA will reimburse you for such expenses, depending on its review of your case.

Application Deadline

Patients must apply for reimbursement within six months of the day they were discharged from the hospital or last received treatment. In other words, the application must be filed within six months of the day the patient received outpatient or emergency care or was discharged from the hospital, regardless of whether the expenses were incurred at home or abroad. No applications can be filed beyond the six-month deadline.

Documents Needed

1.National Health Insurance Administration Refund Application Form
You can obtain an application form in any of the following ways:

A.Go directly to an NHIA office in your area and pick up a form at a service counter

B.Download the form from NHIA’s Chinese-language Website.

2.Original copies of your medical expense receipts and an itemized statement of expenses
If you have lost the original copy of your receipt or the statement of expenses, ask the health care institution that treated you to make copies and stamp them with their clinic or hospital chop. The reason why you are unable to provide the originals should also be noted on the copies.

3.A Diagnosis Certificate or Documentary Proof
Please ask the doctor or the hospital for the following documents:
–If you made an outpatient or emergency ward visit, please prepare a “certificate of diagnosis.”

–If you were hospitalized, in addition to the “certificate of diagnosis,” you must also get a “hospital discharge summary.”

–If the “certificate of diagnosis” or other documents are in a foreign language other than English, they must have a Chinese translation attached.

4.If you apply for reimbursement of out-of-pocket medical expenses incurred overseas, please also submit copies of documents proving exit and entry (usually copies of your passport with a photograph and Taiwan exit and entry stamps for the trip in question) or related documentation from your employer.

5.To apply for reimbursement of expenses for a hospital stay in China of five days or more, first have the original copy of your medical expenses receipts and the certificate of diagnosis or other related documents notarized at a notary public office in China. After returning to Taiwan, apply with the Straits Exchange Foundation to have the original copy of the notarized document(s) verified. For related information, please contact the Straits Exchange Foundation at 02-2533-5995 or consult its Web site sef.org.tw.

How to Apply

Submit the above documentation to your insurance registration organization (the company, union or organization that registers you in the health insurance program) or apply directly at any National Health Insurance Administration regional division.

Reimbursement Caps

Payment of medical expenses for outpatient, emergency or inpatient care incurred outside NHIA’s jurisdiction (including overseas and in China) is processed the same way as when NHIA-contracted health care institutions make payment claims. The applications are professionally evaluated based on the rationality of the treatment, and the scope of coverage and payment conditions are the same as for domestic care and must conform to related National Health Insurance coverage regulations.

Reimbursements of out-of-pocket expenses are capped at the average cost per outpatient or emergency ward visit or average cost of hospitalization per person per day at domestic medical centers paid by the National Health Insurance Administration in the previous quarter. Because the reimbursement cap varies from quarter to quarter, it is posted on NHIA’s Chinese-language Website. For those who need information on the reimbursement cap, please consult the Website or call our toll-free number at 0800-030-598.[/quote]

1 Like

That is handy.

It seems like it covers emergency and NON emergency treatment too. I just have to wonder how generous they are with the refunds~ sounds like they can do as they feel.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]That is handy.

It seems like it covers emergency and NON emergency treatment too. I just have to wonder how generous they are with the refunds~ sounds like they can do as they feel.[/quote]

Most of my local friends buy a cheap short term medical policy that covers them when they travel abroad. I’ve never asked why directly, but I assumed that the refunds process and success was the reason. Most of these policies also carry life insurance and some form of trip insurance (like if your flight is cancelled, covering hotel costs, etc.).

[quote=“squall1”][quote=“cyberguppy”]That is handy.

It seems like it covers emergency and NON emergency treatment too. I just have to wonder how generous they are with the refunds~ sounds like they can do as they feel.[/quote]

Most of my local friends buy a cheap short term medical policy that covers them when they travel abroad. I’ve never asked why directly, but I assumed that the refunds process and success was the reason. Most of these policies also carry life insurance and some form of trip insurance (like if your flight is cancelled, covering hotel costs, etc.).[/quote]

And try to get this in a non-English speaking coutry …

Yes that is a nice catch and a handy clause for the insurance companies.

Also, I’m sure this is only for emergencies only and not general treatment… i.e. have to enter hospital via emergency section and then find a chinese translation of the medical.

I can almost hear the sound of the insurance companies butfuking the patient abroad.

That’s why I had surgery done in my home country and never claimed it back here.