Vacation advice in Taiwan (2020)

Sorry - too much shopping at Ikea in my formative years.

Lion Travel has new packages o you can travel with your pet:

Go to Penghu. Then you can still call it an overseas trip.

Shhhhhhh don’t tell people. It’s hard enough to book already.

1 Like

I think maybe I’m just cheap. I couldn’t enjoy myself after paying that much for a room. I think it’s maybe also because I know you can get something just as good or better on, for example, Koh Samui in Thailand for half the price.

$432 for a hotel in Taiwan? I’d rather pay half that, then do fun things with the rest. Maybe even splurge knowing you didn’t get ripped off. Get a good bottle of scotch at dinner. Go on a boat ride with the family. Get crazy with the seafood. Anything but pay that much for a room!

4 Likes

There are nice farm stays in Taiwan also. Checkout the seven best at theculturetrip.com.

1 Like

Yeah, I could get considerably more bang for my buck in Thailand or Vietnam, but it looks like I won’t be able to fly there this summer. So, Taiwan it has to be and that hotel does look very enticing.

2 Likes

That I believe.

1 Like

What? You took barbarians to that hotel?

Silks Place Taroko is very nice. It’s the location that makes it unique. Swimming in the pool at night with the sounds of cicadas was out of this world. Our entire stay there was just tranquil. Be sure to take advantage of the great hikes the location affords. They can drive you right to the trailhead.

1 Like

At one of the hikes you can go to the waterfall, climb the fence and have a swim in a natural pool, or walk through the water curtain tunnel. But before you get there you need to traverse the dark passage!

1 Like

Me too. Now partly because I am a value oriented person , partly because money is (very) hard to come by in Taiwan, partly because I (used to in the good old days of three months ago ) get to stay in many nice hotels for work.
But mainly that ,yeah, I can take that cash and do other stuff with it. Or save it. Besides my wife wouldn’t let me spend that kind of money. :joy:
I guess I am not rich enough to not care about how much a hotel room costs.

4 Likes

And you pray that there won’t be an earthquake as you walk through the long tunnel.

2 Likes

I once saw hundreds of butterflies drinking water at the end of that tunnel. Was a very cool sight.

3 Likes

3 Likes

My wife’s reminded me that we were going to stay at Silks Place Taroko last summer but there was a typhoon. That was going to be with some free travel money that her company gives her, though, not my cash. She says we’ve also stayed at Silks Place Tainan, but I can’t remember much about it. I think it was behind the Landis that’s closing down.

To be honest, hotels are all very similar to me. But the pictures of this one in Taroko look great.

It is or at least used to be when it was still named Grand Formosa Taroko. Good diner and breakfast buffet. Sauna, Steam bath, two swimming pools, tennis court … used to be like 3500-4000 NT$/night for mid-week including buffets. Until the Chinese started to come.

1 Like

We stayed a night there last year. I liked the pool outside and the whirlpools beside the pool. Great location right beside the river. Close to the Baiyang Fall Trail too. But I think quite expensive. Didn’t pay myself, so I didn’t care. :slight_smile:

Oh, it’s that place. I took my mum and dad there years ago. It’s got the tunnel nearby that was cut by hand during Japanese rule (slave labour/POWs IIRC) leading to the waterfall.

It was pretty run down when I stayed. I assume Silks Place have done major renovations.

Posted today:

Bigger than Xiao Liuqiu, but quite tiny. I agree that the village is run down. But that’s Taiwan. Somehow a lot of people here cannot exist without piles of garbage around their houses, unfinished constructions, cheap maintenance. And it seems the tourist dollars are not invested in making places like Green Island more pretty as a whole. In Greece they spend the money to paint their houses white every year. Could be easily done here too.

I did walk down to the beach with the Pekingese Rock and the Sleeping Beauty Rock. That was cool. Not a soul down there, cause the trail is neatly hidden away from the tourist hordes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes