Vacation plans gone badly awry

holy crap, what a situation.

I hope it all works out for you, if nothing else, you and your daughter will always remember this time together, and one day look back on it fondly.

And that is the best you can do. You’re not God, you’re just a father and we all screw up from time to time. It’s inevitable even with the best of intentions. Don’t beat yourself up too much.

Hey Boss,

My father always said, “If you’re not making mistakes, you’re not doing very much!”

Shit happens and you are handling the situation much better than I ever would. Soon it will all be behind you and it will be a wonderful annecdote which chronicles the fun and “interesting” parts of your life that you will tell and re-tell over and over again. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you and your family.

Bucket loads of commiseration from here!

It’s the kind of oversight that can happen so easily, and one I can well imagine happening to me. It’s so unfortunate that international travel needs to be regulated so strictly, creating such troublesome consequences when we don’t meet the requirements to a t.

I do hope those paper-pushers in Canada will get their act together double quick, do what needs to be done, and that the Gods will be benevolent enough to get you and Trudi on a plane to Canada as quickly as possible without it making too painful a hole in your bank balance.

But whatever trials and tribulations you may still have to face, it’ll be all the sweeter when you all get back together at last.

That really sucks, Ant. Feeling for you.
Hope you can salvage some, make lemonade with them sour lemons, do some special things with Trudi in the in-between time.

Damn, that is one sad vacation story, Anthony! Sorry to hear that.

Chin up, Ant. Really feel for you and the rest of the family.

and remember that you’re also the one missing out on a holiday! Hoping that you can get out of here quickly!

Sorry to hear about the dramas. All the best.

Hang in there, Anthony. Good luck with the Thursday flight.

well shit happens

What damages kids and your relationship to/with them, is threatening to remove else conditioning your love for them; not forgetting a passport or being a couple of days without mommy. Therefore as said you should try and make her understand what happened was not her fault or a punishment of some kind
She is probably more observing you or the situation through you… so how you handle it may be remembered more than the actual event

Damn, that’s shocking. Good luck Maoman.

Oops, I thought I had posted in this thread.

I’m so sorry to hear about this Maoman, after our meeting last week I could see how much you two were really looking forward to the trip home.

As everyone else says, it will be an anecdote in years to come no matter how much it sucks now.

Sending good vibes for Thursday!

Thanks, everyone. We have confirmed seats on Thursday evening’s flight (thanks again, WHOSE Travel), but because the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei only received the release form from my wife this morning (someone in either Passport Canada, Ontario or the CTOT screwed it up the first time around), they only sent out the request to Ottawa for permission to issue a temporary passport this morning! It’s happened before that they’ve issued it within a day, and we do have two days to get it done, and they have marked it URGENT, but if we don’t get it by Thursday noon, the vacation’s off altogether. I’m really, really, really hoping that that doesn’t happen, but I’ve had my hopes dashed so many times this past week that I really don’t dare to be optimistic. :frowning:

Fingers crossed!

[quote=“Maoman”]Thanks, everyone. We have confirmed seats on Thursday evening’s flight (thanks again, WHOSE Travel), but because the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei only received the release form from my wife this morning (someone in either Passport Canada, Ontario or the CTOT screwed it up the first time around), they only sent out the request to Ottawa for permission to issue a temporary passport this morning! It’s happened before that they’ve issued it within a day, and we do have two days to get it done, and they have marked it URGENT, but if we don’t get it by Thursday noon, the vacation’s off altogether. I’m really, really, really hoping that that doesn’t happen, but I’ve had my hopes dashed so many times this past week that I really don’t dare to be optimistic. :frowning:

Fingers crossed![/quote]

Wow, I really hope it works out all fine.

[quote=“Maoman”]Thanks, everyone. We have confirmed seats on Thursday evening’s flight (thanks again, WHOSE Travel), but because the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei only received the release form from my wife this morning (someone in either Passport Canada, Ontario or the CTOT screwed it up the first time around), they only sent out the request to Ottawa for permission to issue a temporary passport this morning! It’s happened before that they’ve issued it within a day, and we do have two days to get it done, and they have marked it URGENT, but if we don’t get it by Thursday noon, the vacation’s off altogether. I’m really, really, really hoping that that doesn’t happen, but I’ve had my hopes dashed so many times this past week that I really don’t dare to be optimistic. :frowning:

Fingers crossed![/quote]
Good luck!

[quote]V wasn’t very happy with me, but when she talked to me on the phone, she heard how miserable I was, and she forgave me pretty quickly.
[/quote]

That says it all, right there. Your a good man, and V’s a good women. No worries.

Fingers crossed![/quote]
Fingers crossed here, also. Hope it works out for Thursday.
I didn’t realise kids passports could be such a hassle.

Fingers are crossed for you. What a giant pain in the ass. Well, I’m sure you will never make this mistake again, or V will surely geld you!

[quote=“saddletramp”][quote]V wasn’t very happy with me, but when she talked to me on the phone, she heard how miserable I was, and she forgave me pretty quickly.
[/quote]

That says it all, right there. Your a good man, and V’s a good women. No worries.[/quote]
Forgiving has nothing to do with forgetting :wink: :smiley: