Vaccine mandates and vaccine passports

You seem to be completely ignoring the fact that the vaccines are not particularly effective. They don’t prevent reproduction or transmission to any remarkable degree, and they’re becoming less effective all the time as the virus mutates around them. They don’t offer sterilizing immunity. So none of your reasoning above applies.

In all of this navel-gazing I see such outsized hubris that the facts are completely eclipsed. Humanity will defeat Nature, and all we have to do is hit her hard enough! And allied to that: whatever solutions Nature has up her sleeve are inherently worse than the ingenuity of humans. Nobody even seems to care that COVID is barely even worth fighting over. Hundreds of millions of lives have been ruined in this holy war, set against not one single life-year saved. The goal it, seems, is merely to prove that humans are the masters of the universe.

If you want to watch the world burn in order to chase an unattainable target, you’ll be happy to know that a lot of people are prepared to support you and help you. And you’ll be able to stand on a heap of ash and dust and corpses and say, wahooo, we won! Nature is defeated!

4 Likes

Wow…that was very…dramatic.

Neither logic nor math works on fanatics. Hence the appeal to humanity.

2 Likes

You seem to be implying or deliberately misleading that breakthrough infections happen 100% of the time in vaccinated individuals and are more common than they really are. If vaccinated people test negative you are completely ignoring them in your sample set.

Yes breakthrough infections can spread the virus but are still statistically rare. CDC states 0.5% in a study from Washington State and I believe a previous study I posted showed 0.2%.

The more the virus spreads the less effective vaccines will be. If millions of people refused to get a mumps or measles vaccine we may need boosters every year instead of every ten (or whatever the frequency currently is). The point is and has always been to slow the spread. I cannot get onboard with your social darwinistic approach of come what may when we have the means to do better.

I see now why you support theories like only vaccinating a small number of people. We don’t have to destroy the economy. Make the vaccine available to everyone, provide incentives or disincentives for those that put others at risk. None of that means we have to burn the world down. Just get the fucking vaccine or go live in a viral commune. We all have a choice.

1 Like

The irony of your own statement.

1 Like

The CDC is either lying or misrepresenting the facts in some way. Or perhaps you’ve misunderstood what is being claimed. Nobody else is making any such claim - the generally-agreed figure is that the vaccines are ~50% effective at preventing infection where delta is the predominant strain (which it generally is). Plus or minus. You can easily look up the numbers and calculate it out for yourself.

If the 0.2% figure was correct then your logic would probably be reasonable. But it isn’t correct.

We do live in a viral commune. Why does everyone seem to think that SARS-CoV2 is the only virus humanity has ever encountered, or the only one that even exists?

99.94% of the world’s population has not died of COVID, despite the virus running rampant, essentially uncontrolled. I’m tired of being told we’re all going to die if we don’t comply with this or that edict. I’m tired of being told that everything is my fault. I’m particularly tired of cargo-cult “science”. A lot of other people are. If you want to sit there in your bamboo headphones waiting for the bamboo plane to land bringing goodies from the gods, feel free. The rest of us simply want to be left alone.

6 Likes
3 Likes

1 in 6000 is not “incredibly rare”. And AFAIK damage to the myocardium is permanent. There are 1.5m boys in that age range in the UK, so if you jab half of them that’s 120 cases of myocarditis, guaranteed.

It’ll be interesting to see what the UK govt recommend next week.

3 Likes

We were the “granny killers” a year or so ago. I wonder what that makes the ‘vaccinate everyone at all costs’ crowd?

5 Likes

[quote=“finley, post:608, topic:210316, full:true”]

The pharmaceutical companies have been protected from legal action, but if the UK forces vaccinations on an age group where it could be proven more children died than if they hadn’t been vaccinated - then surely the UK government could face some kind of legal action?

3 Likes

If someone said there was a one in 6000 chance of dying in a plane or car crash, the airline and vehicle industry would fail overnight. There are nitwits on the news who had serious vaccine side effects and when asked later they say “well at least I didn’t catch Covid” :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

To be fair, they’re unlikely to actually die. But many of them they will be physically scarred for life, and their lives might be shortened.

4 Likes

It will be future knowing consent action by the victims, I presume, but I’m no legal expert.

It’s a massive legal minefield, but most gov’ts seem to think they can just do whatever they like and hang the consequences … because they can. I’ve browsed around a bit, and as far as I can tell it’s almost impossible under UK law to hold any government official personally responsible for deaths or injury caused by reckless decisions while in office. I suppose if a couple of hundred men find out later that they’re going to die in their 50s or 60s because of vaccine-induced damage to their heart, there might be some sort of outcry and some hush money paid out from gov’t coffers. But I doubt anybody will go to jail or suffer any personal blowback.

It’s quite obvious that the benefit of vaccinating kids or teenagers, if any benefit exists at all, is marginal, and that ‘informed consent’ is essentially impossible. A few weeks back they were saying this wasn’t even being considered, but they’ve said that about all sorts of things and then decided they were going to do it after all.

3 Likes

Yippee.

6 Likes

Was just talking about this with the folks in the UK, seems everything is on and off to the point things change day to day.

It’s looking a little like fishing to me, where sometimes they let the line out so the fish doesn’t break the line, only to real it back in later.

4 Likes

What I think they do is release the info early. Then have random ministers saying slightly different and ever crazy things and they judge public opinion. Looks like they were getting pushback.

And they just announced an increase in social security to basically pay for the Covid response.

I don’t think people will accept paying more if restrictions continued.

Either way, I don’t live there, but I feel happy for today. Hopefully more countries, in Europe at least, move in the same direction.

3 Likes

This.

They test the waters and see if they can get away with it. They’ll probably mention it a few more times over the coming months, and if the response is muted then it’ll be implemented tomorrow.

Yup. It amounts to about an extra 400 pounds a year for the average wage earner, which isn’t pocket change. That’s about sufficient to cover the interest on the massive debt they’ve run up; when interest rates are raised (as they will have to be at some point) it’s going to get … interesting.

1 Like

Those politicians are lying sacks of shit and apparently 80%+ have trusted them with their lives rolling up their sleeves…

1 Like

They first tell people you’ll need a medical passport just to have a beer at a pub, then after everyone gets jabbed, say, “Nah, jokes!”

UK health minister said that the idea of compulsory showing of documentation at leisure venues made him uncomfortable, as some opponents have called this a potential violation of civil liberties.

“I’ve never liked the idea of saying to people you must show your papers or something to do what is just an everyday activity,” Javid said.

So, unless this guy is completely politically foolish, looks like no Covid passport or future lockdowns for the UK. Will be too hard for him to go back on this, one would think.

1 Like