Vaccine Tourism

It’s happening. Alaska, Guam, New York. And now in Europe and other places for the Russian vaccine.

Starting June 1, tourists entering Alaska will be able to get a vaccine shot at one of the state’s major airports, Alaska’s Gov. Mike Dunleavy said during a news conference on Friday. The vaccine will be available outside the security area at four airports: in Juneau, Fairbanks, Ketchikan, and Anchorage (the least crowded city in America).

3 Likes

I’m not surprised, but I still find there to be something really unethical about the U.S. excessively stockpiling vaccines that are currently desperately needed around the world, then using them to promote tourism among the minority of people who can afford it.

8 Likes

This article address that (kind of).

3 Likes

Nothing new. US stockpiles everything for itself. Food, guns, vaccines, nukes.

2 Likes

Americans couldn’t get masks in March 2020. And there was this.

https://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/taiwan-government-lifts-mask-export-ban-and-loosens-covid-19-restrictions/

Most countries put their people first.

1 Like

Sure. US just bullies others into America first, with threats.

1 Like

Who is America bullying with vaccines?

2 Likes

1 Like

They’re bullying by hoarding vaccines

Think you need to check the definition of bullying. You can argue that the “hoarding” is wrong but the US isn’t trying to coerce anyone using vaccines.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I feel about all the hate being directed toward the US because of the surplus of vaccinations there. No way is there any type of national/concerted effort to hoard and screw over other nations. It just doesn’t work that way in the US. For example, one of the states is seeing a slowdown in people willing to get vaccinated, they are giving them a few more weeks, then they are targeting about 50,000 shots for this tourism scheme (Alaska?, Guam?, I can’t remember).

But more than anything, I started this thread to give all of us options. If things get delayed too long with the vaccinations in Taiwan, I will definitely consider going to the US to get a shot. I would like to go with my wife, get vaccinated, then return quickly for our quarantine. I would also want the one-time J&J vaccination so that we CAN return quickly.

By the way, I do wish the US would do more sharing, and I hope that Taiwan is given high priority. I feel the US has an obligation to help out Taiwan and other nations, such as India.

2 Likes

COVID-19!

Why does the US have an obligation to help Taiwan and India?

I do think you can make a good argument that the US should consider being more generous with the vaccines because the longer we go like this the more chance we’ll see vaccine-resistant variants. But should and must are two different things.

Also interesting how fast the tables turned. The US was a laughing stock a year ago and now it’s in a much better position than most other countries.

I’m literally flying in and within a couple of hours of landing will have a vaccine of my choice. All booked online in 5 minutes. And per CDC advice, I booked a COVID test for 5 days after my trip. Also took 5 minutes online, will be done at a drive-thru location where I don’t expose anyone and is totally free.

The US isn’t perfect and can take a while to mobilize but when it does, it gets shit done.

5 Likes

Less than 40% of people in the US are fully vaccinated. Less than 50% have had one dose. The US wants to make sure the FDA approves the release of AZ unless it be accused of “dumping” vaccines when it sends them to other countries. Not sure if the situation can be called hoarding.

1 Like

I mean moral obligation. And I do mean there is such an obligation. Biden plans to share 80 million vaccine doses, and it’s my understanding that this is from a surplus. Is it so bad to feel there is a moral obligation under these circumstances?

Indeed.

2 Likes

Valid point: As pointed out by a former US secretary of state:

I feel like that idea still dominates US foreign politics. Europe seems to take quite a different position in that regard.

I’ve been critical of the US not sharing vaccines in another thread. I believe that I called it the biggest US foreign policy blunder of the past decade but they’re not ‘hoarding’ and vaccinating people when they arrive in your state is a pretty darn good idea.

37% of the US population has been vaccinated. 40% have not received the initial dose. A dozen states have had over 100 people die in the past week. If a country wants to be sure they have taken care of their citizens at home before worrying about other countries, it’s understandable and we only have to think back to last year when export of masks was banned in Taiwan unless sending them to a Taiwanese citizen living abroad.

4 Likes

Screwing around, arguing ad nauseam and fighting internal political battles, figuring shit out then tearing it up is…really, what America does.

1 Like

And you don’t think other countries do the same?

To the same extent, no.

WWI. WWII. Fights against terrorism. Now, climate change. I explained, last year, that this was a near defining characteristic and would have bet on the US having the most covid deaths then beating everybody to the vaccine.

1 Like