Vaccine Tourism

Watch out for local restrictions though. LA county has mandatory quarantine. Whether and how it’s enforced I don’t know.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/traveladvisory.htm

1 Like

There’s no enforcement there from what I’ve been hearing. People are coming and going at will.

Not surprised. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And also and even more so see “Vaccine tourism” thread. “Exit plan” is more for those leaving for good

2 Likes

Where in NY? Thanks!

New York City

The Big Apple is getting its latest tourist attraction. New York Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the city will deploy vaccination sites in Times Square where all tourists can be vaccinated with the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine.

Nice. Thanks.

Tourists to New York City Can Now Get Vaccinated in Popular Spots Like Times Square

Repeating the data given by my brother, for future reference:

He got his FREE shot in a parking lot. From the hands of a burly fierce looking Marine. In Miami, FL. He and his gf traveled from the old country and found out about the location of this particular camp on the internet, where it is posted publicly.

I will add the links once provided by my siblings.

As stated, they do not check nor separate local residents or vaccine tourists. Not all states do this. FL does not care.

Other family members booked their shot on the internet. Seems you can do that with the largest pharmacy chains in US. CVS, the like.

My husband and I are going to the US for the vaccine and to reconnect with family. He’s getting the one shot J&J at Costco and I will go to CVS to get the Pfizer. I’ve already had AZ here. We’re leaving to reduce our time living in a fearful lockdown state as it is really affecting our well-being. The vaccines will be available very soon in Taiwan, but we prefer to spend time with family. It is expensive but worth every penny.

4 Likes

My brother says FEMA is giving out J&J and Pfizer, and they allowed him to choose. He chose the one shot because he hates to fly. He says if you book at the pharmacy, for instance, CVS or Walgreens, you get what they have that day.

Gotta wait for my other brother to wake up to find out the websites for booking. The other relatives and friends went to Houston and Dallas.

My brother’s only complaint was the extra costs for everything, from flights to car rentals, because of vaccine tourists, all have increased. He says car rentals should be about 200 bucks, he paid almost 600 for the weekend.

The CVS websites tell you what is available but oddly enough, there seems to be an availability difference based on 1st or 2nd shot booking.

1 Like

Ok, second brother up. He says currently they are vaccinating at the airports, so if you get to Miami, go to auditorium 4, get the shot, and you haven’t technically even set foot on the US yet.

Edit

Linkie for Texas
http://Dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine-hubs.asx

Other linkie for appointments

3 Likes

Taiwanese are TikTok-ing their trip to the USA to get their vaccinations.

1 Like

So if I can ask, are you killing two or three birds with one stone or is the vaccine your primary purpose?

I’m wondering if people are going purely for vaccination and then turn around or if they got multiple reasons to go and that will just be an added benefit.

I’m a traveler usually outside of Taiwan at least 10 times a year and have free mileage but can’t imagine why I would go on a trip just for vaccination unless I had other important reasons or purposes.

Well at least in the old country they do not expect to get to vaccinate younger folk until December… approximately. My family elders already got the vaccine, my relatives in the medical field too, so the ones that have taken the plane look for safety and expediency.

Here in Taiwan I guess there are many young folk who need to travel. If they can take the shot and it is within their budget, it can be done without much hassle. Maybe they would also feel safer. Maybe they do not want to wait until undetermined date for their shot, as they are in no priority groups.

From the few I know who have flown, they are doing it for multiple reasons, aside from just vaccines.
Remember, quite a number of Taiwanese have children in college, and the richer ones own apartments (even the rich without children own places in the U.S.) near where their children go to school in the U.S. So, they may think it make sense to just spend the summer in the U.S., get the shots early, and then the parents fly back late-summer/early-fall after most of the first fiasco is behind Taiwan with vaccinations.
Another person I know who did it, went back as he has to deal with family stuff with his mother that is unrelated to COVID. So, got the shot at same time. He came from another Asian country that is behind in vaccinations.

2 Likes

My family and I flew back in late March primarily for the Pfizer vaccination. I can do most of my work anywhere. They’ve decided to stay now though since Taiwan has gone downhill. It’s been a nice vacation for me but I need to get back ‘home’ to Taiwan to take care of the rest of my work that can only be done locally.

2 Likes

Two or three birds with one stone. I haven’t been home in two years. Since we’re locked down here, it makes sense to go now.

1 Like

Hotels and travel agents, as well as other tourism partners, on Monday officially started marketing Air V&V Guam USA – which stands for “vaccination and vacation” – for American expatriates and other non-American travelers.

“Air V&V is now open to everyone, not just expats,” GVB’s Nadine Leon Guerrero said.

Under the Air V&V Guam USA vaccine tourism program, anyone who wants to visit Guam to get vaccinated against COVID-19 needs to book in advance a full travel package including hotel stay, transportation to and from the airport, and COVID-19 vaccination on their second day here.

Depending on their COVID-19 vaccine of choice, a traveler can stay on Guam for a minimum of three days up to 32 days or more.

Air V&V Guam USA packages range from $150 to $350 per night of hotel stay, and hotels are extremely flexible, knowing every traveler is different, GVB said.

https://www.postguam.com/news/local/guam-vaccination-opens-up-to-foreign-travelers/article_e2ce0138-d246-11eb-8508-e3c34f8214ee.html

2 Likes