Vaccine Tourism

No worries. Please do check though rather than taking my word for it! I just remember seeing a comparison graph of all the vaccines on here yesterday or so, and I was a bit surprised by where the J&J vaccine fell.

1 Like

FWIW I remember reading a lot of those graphs may not mean much because the data were collected at different times, for example before some variants appeared.

I.e. do the research, of course, but treat the data with due skepticism.

2 Likes

SFO would work for you. No mandatory quarantine. Free vaccine for all.

I saw an ad for J&J at the airport. You can make an appointment and get it at the airport. Or just go to CVS.com and book your appointment at a location near the airport for the day you arrive or the next day.

Would also echo the comments about efficacy though. Any of the US approved vaccines are good but Pfizer and Moderna are the world leaders in efficacy against all the variants.

Edit: I should add that CVS.com shows appointment availability ~5 days in advance. So a few days before your flight you can go on and find a location that offers the vaccine of your choice. Seems there’s more supply than demand now. I was able to reschedule my Pfizer jab for a different location a day before no problem.

1 Like

I think India deserves to be prioritized over Taiwan. India has a load of cases with a large pharmaceutical industry for the world.

1 Like

This is both an ethical and economic/what’s good for the world question. I think India should be prioritized for ethical reasons- it’s far more dire there. As to the second issue, not so sure, especially since India has stopped (limited?) vaccine exports. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. On the other hand, Taiwan e companies going into lockdown would be very harmful to the world economy.

1 Like

Sure, but we should look at India area by area, prioritizing 1.35 billion people without discernement would be creating another giant blackhole for vaccine and be detrimental for the rest of the world.

People need to understand what vaccine efficiency actually means. Each vaccine company pretty much create their own standards. Watch this short video explaining.

1 Like

Good list of residency requirements for each state.

1 Like

My homeys and I came here to Oregon at the end of March to get Pfizers. I’ll be heading back to Taiwan next month. Pfizer and Moderna doses are going begging now and are readily available at pharmacies and state-operated vax sites.

“Residency” is being interpreted very loosely here. All you really need to give at a vax site is your name and where you’re staying. I asked the registration desk if a foreign passport would work as we’ve invited any of our homeys in Taiwan who want to to come and stay with us to get vaccinated. They told me anyone who shows up even if they don’t have any ID gets a shot.

Q3: My permanent residence is in another state, but I’m staying in Oregon
(student, multiple homes, staying with family, etc.). Can I get my vaccine in
Oregon?
A3: If you are currently residing in Oregon you may get your vaccine in Oregon.

Q4: Do I need to bring identification (ID) with me?
A4: You do not need documentation or specific identification.

https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2390u.pdf

2 Likes

“If the vaccine does not come to you, it is time to go the vaccine,” another Peruvian, Flavio San Martin, tells CNN. Flavio, a business consultant, travelled to Durham, North Carolina with his family on April 13 and received two doses of the Moderna vaccine.

From Peru?
Now that’s a lot of flying and transfers.
That guy must be one of the top 1%'ere in Peru.

1 Like

LATAM Airlines Group (LTM.SN), the region’s largest carrier, said on Thursday it was seeing increased demand from South Americans seeking to travel to the United States to get vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Aeromexico (AEROMEX.MX) said passenger traffic between Mexico and the United States increased 35% from March to April.

And American Airlines (AAL.O) also said it had seen demand growing rapidly from parts of Latin America in recent months and it had increased capacity, particularly to Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico.

2 Likes

He flew his family to the US then they waited around for the second shot. Yeah, he must be doing okay for himself in Peru.

Some travel agencies here in Taiwan were advertising package deals to vaccinate/catch a show in Vegas…and they were quickly shot down by the CECC. No tour groups allowed.

I mean, if at least they were aiming for a quick J&J jab like others but they were too greedy…

1 Like

Terrible. They would still need to quarantine when they got back. Why not get more people vaccinated? The CECC is a joke now.

1 Like

Well the CECC does seem to have its priorities mixed up, but the tour operator is stupid.

LA county has a mandatory quarantine so anybody bringing people into LA to get vaxxed and then taking them to other places would be violating the rules unless they were having all of the passengers quarantine for 10 days first.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/traveladvisory.htm

That piece of news is really weird. I mean, there are other destinations in the US you could have the jab without quarantine. It makes no sense. And then Vegas?!

1 Like

Not really. The idea is not to risk contagion by going out if the country. That is for starters.

Second, you can still get other people infected after the shot, not go mention get sick if traveling immediately after the first shot.

Moreover, profiteering out if people’s needs is wrong. I mean, it is your choice to use this service or not. But to throw in a sightseeing tour in the middle is way too much.

It is not the same as the old country, less than 4 hours flight. And little vaccine availability for younger, healthier folk.

From “Taiwan can help” to “America can help” in under a year.

2 Likes

* if you can afford it

1 Like