Vagina Monologues and VDAY Events in March!

ORIENTED Happy Hour at Paulina
Date: Thursday, March 1st
Time: 7 to 9 p.m.
Location: Paulina, Anhe Road, Sec. 2, #167 (across from Carnegies)
Details: Happy hour and networking with Oriented (www.oriented.com). RSVP at http://www.oriented.com/events/default.aspx?vb=detail&o=2762 . Proceeds go to VDAY, plus there will be VDAY sales and raffle prizes!
Admission: $200, or $100 with RSVP

Public Radio at Citizen Cain, with “Mr. Vagina Friendly” pageant
Date: Saturday, March 3rd
Time: 8 to 11 p.m.
Location: Citizen Cain, Dongfeng Street, #67 (http://citizencain.com/)
Details: Live music and entertainment, along with great food and drink specials. More VDAY sales, and some great raffle prizes.

VDAY Ladies at Grandma Nitti’s

Date: Saturday, March 10
Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Details: Stop by for delicious food and some guilt-free shopping. Awesome t-shirts, buttons, and other products available, and all proceeds go to charity.

V%A presents Genesis Open Mic Talent Showcase/Art Show at Riverside Cafe

Date: Sunday, March 11
Time: Art show begins at 7 p.m., Talent show begins at 10 p.m., “A Taste of the Caribbean” kitchen open from 7 to 9
Location: Riverside Cafe, Roosevelt Road, Sec. 3, Lane 244, # 2, Basement
Details: VDAY will be on hand for the Genesis Talent Showcase, with cast members of the Vagina Monologues performing sample monologues, and handing out awesome prizes. Also the art show will feature the Clothesline Project - shirts decorated by survivors of violence. For more information, see: http://www.myspace.com/vandapresentsgenesis.
Admission: $300

The Clothesline Project at Shida Park

Date: Saturday, March 17
Time: 1 to 5 p.m.
Details: Stop by and decorate a t-shirt for yourself or someone you know who has survived any form of gender-based violence. Shirts will be displayed at performances of the Vagina Monologues. For more information, see http://clotheslineproject.org/.

The Vagina Monologues
Dates: Friday and Saturday, March 30 and 31
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Location: Armed Forces Cultural Center, Zhonghua Road, Sec. 1, #69 (Ximen)
Details: Bilingual performance each night, with subtitles. Tickets $500, or $400 for students. Tickets on sale at Kingstone Books and also at http://www.ticket.com.tw/dm.asp?P1=0000007417. Also see: http://www.vdaytaiwan.org.tw/en/v3.asp for more information on the cast and show.

Vagina Monologues After-Party at Fifi
Date: Saturday, March 31
Time: Immediately following the show
Location: Fifi, Renai Road, Sec. 4, #15, 3F ( http://www.wen-fifi.com/)

[quote]Stop by and decorate a t-shirt for yourself or someone you know who has survived any form of gender-based violence.[/quote] My old lady gave me clip round the earhole last night, so can I do a tshirt?

“Mr Vagina Friendly?”

Ok.

IliveinTaiwanandthisisn’tweirdIliveinTaiwanandthisisn’tweirdIliveinTaiwanandthisisn’tweirdIliveinTaiwanand
thisisn’tweird
:laughing:

I guess you would be naive to think posting something about big talking vaginas* and vag days would somehow skate through here without comment from the chattering monkeys. :laughing:

Erh, DELETE ME, not cos I’m a bloke mind, or I’ll be wanting to sketch a t-shirt too.

*I’m sure I’m not the only one who automatically conjures up this image when hearing “Vagina monologues”. Seriously, why not a name change, “Talking from our pussies” works. No?

HG

…must …resist…posting…must resist…must…

“The Vagina Monologues” AKA “The Play That Won’t Go Away”.

Can I have those 2 hours of my life back please? Pleaaase?!?!

But Erhu, you have a vagina! It must be one of those “unfriendly” ones though, I suppose.

"Say the Secret Word, the duck comes down and you win a hundred dollars!

I’ve always fondly thought of forumosa.com as the penis dialogues…

:laughing:

See, there you go. It should be “Talking from the dick”. Now doesn’t that sound a lot better?

HG

HG wrote [quote]
See, there you go. It should be “Talking from the dick”. Now doesn’t that sound a lot better? [/quote]

Yeah, only prob is a lot of the posts and posters on forumosa are dickless. We should be out chopping down trees, not feelin’ up keyboards.

PLANTING trees, not lopping them down.

Anyway, I’ve done real work, it sucks. :laughing:

HG

If there’s a miss friendly vagina pageant let us know!

LOL!

Not interested in having these same discussions over and over, so you’re welcome to continue amusing yourself with jokes, or you can help out a good cause and learn a thing or two about what VDAY and the Vagina Monologues is really about by attending an event or two.

If you really have a problem with the play, the events, or the people who put the work into making them happen, by all means share your opinion. The use of the Vagina Monologues as an awareness and fundraising tool has been controversial from the start, so it’s no surprise that it becomes a heavily debated topic on Forumosa every year. It’s just unfortunate that the discussion has to deteriorate into completely worthless chatter rather than worthwhile debate.

I will never expect all of the men on this forum to be able to talk about this subject maturely, but chances are that some of you are actually capable of mature discussion as long as your peers don’t catch you at it. Thus, I would suggest that you take a moment and talk to the people involved with VDAY. We’re all willing to take the time for discussion, if you’re willing to go about it maturely. Many of the women involved with VDAY are survivors of some form of physical/sexual abuse who are using their experiences to help others. We are, by nature of our past experiences, not going to be easily offended by your remarks, but a bit of respect is in order.

Finally, since perhaps you are not aware of why VDAY exists, or what good it does around the world, think about this: In its first year in Taiwan, VDAY and the Vagina Monologues raised $400,000 NT on behalf of 3 nonprofit groups working to end violence against women and children. In 2006, over $900,000 NT was raised. Now in its third year in Taipei, VDAY aims to take in over a million dollars in donations, merchandise and ticket sales. The women’s groups we work with use those funds to assist women trying to leave and recover from abusive relationships, provide counseling for victims of child abuse, investigate and reduce the incidence of sex trafficking into and out of Taiwan, and fight for the rights of the survivors of sexual slavery under the Japanese military during World War II.

Maybe as organizers we do not emphasize this information enough, opening the way for people to develop an image of VDAY and the Vagina Monologues as an outlet for sexually frustrated or deviant women. It’s true that sex sells, which is part of the appeal of some of these events. However, take a moment and think about where those dollars are really ending up, and you won’t be sorry for participating.

A basic PR course would have taught you not to call the majority of your audience immature while you’re trying to get your message across.

By “you”, I mean “naive” (whoever is behind that screen name) and everyone else I’ve come across representing/speaking on behalf of VDay and the Vagina Monologues. Last year and this year.

Of course, the cause is good and nobody is disputing that.

Speaking of the show. I went to see it last year for the first time and, unlike most of the women I talked to, I liked it, for the most part.

However, in the discussions that followed with “you”, both here on forumosa and IRL, have totally turned me off the desire to “support the cause” or even “spread the word”. In addition to being clumsy with PR, to put it mildly, “you” also are incredibly stiff and patronizing towards your audience here. I have known my vagina as long (or perhaps even longer than) you have known yours and I really don’t need you to be telling me how to feel about it, or insinuate that I’m not aware of its role in my life and or society.

Also, men on this forum have known about the clit, emancipation, sexual violence, menstruation, etc. for a really long time because they all grew up in the West, just like you and me. Now, if they’re not on board about respecting our vaginas by now, none of your preeching will change that. Patronizing, judgemental tone will only drive them away. So is your goal to get us to see the show or to preech to us? Back to basics of communication and PR.

On the humor, or immaturity, as you call it. Vagina and sexuality are not a taboo to me. I, and everyone else, get to joke about it if we want to. Yes, including men.
Making a big deal out of it and taking yourself too seriously is taking you away from your goals, again.

I hope everyone in your organization can read this and next year perhaps you can choose someone else to communicate with the public, or hire a professional.

Whoa! :notworthy:

Well said that vagina!

HG

Er, naive, most of the strongest critics of the play posting here are women. The men who are posting are mostly of the opinion that while the fundraising is a great thing, the play and discussions themselves are just a bunch of women wittering on as women are wont to do. Kind of like the quilting bees or coffee mornings your grandmothers and mothers might have attended. Fundraising for worthy causes is fantastic – hats off to you for that – but banging on about “My vagina is a flower” or whatever and not expecting to get laughed at by the “brutal unreconstructed men” on here, and in fact in most of the other media I’ve read about this thing? You’re out of luck.
And I’ve been giving money and time to Garden of Hope since long before the Pontificating Pussies pursued their puerile prattling.

“So the question you hafta ask yourself is: `Do I feel lucky’. Well? Do ya, punk?”
Oh yeah!

naive, it’s interesting that you are chastising the men of forumosa about maturity, given that the Vagina Monologues itself is not a mature discussion about female sexuality. Aside from the one or two serious monologues that addressed rape as a war crime against women, everything else was silly at best, but for the most part consisted of over-the-top ridiculous moanings of women who complain about things they should be thankful for, and have never had any good sexual experiences with men.

It’s not relatable at all to the vast majority of heterosexual women that I’ve known in my lifetime, and it certainly doesn’t encourage men to get on board on the fight to end violence against women. Sure, the money raised supports a good cause, but at what expense? I wouldn’t want any man that I know going to see that play and thinking that’s what feminism is all about. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t any want any my girlfriends to have to sit through that drivel either.

That’s why everyone should give VM a miss this year and instead come to see my new play, “The Vagina Dialogues”. Guaranteed you’ll like it better than VM, or your money back!