"van Gogh Club"

Fellow Artists,

I’m thinking of starting a club for unappreciated artists; non-commercial, cutting-edge writers, painters, musicians, and mime artists.

We will get together and share our arts; poetry readings, songs, book readings and drama presentations.

We’re looking for free-form art - free of all formal structure. i.e. hopefully nobody will have any published or recorded work (selling out to the mainstream mass-market). If you have a musical instrument but have had no formal training and can not read music then you are perfect. The club’s motto - we don’t play music, we play!

The van Gogh club prefers people who are into Buddhism and Taoism. Sorry, no Christians, unless it’s a non-mainstream church. Remember, we are looking for creative people who are exploring “mind-boundaries.” Your best work should have come from shaman-like experiences with plants that took you to another plane.

Hopefully club members will have been on an Asian trip to India, Tibet, or Nepal where they were able to absorb some of the tranquility and beauty of Buddhism.

To prove that they have thrown off the conventions of staid middle-class western society, club members will be required to wear one piece of ethnic (or anti-establishment, or anti-American) clothing; I don’t want to make rules but something like a hilltribe waistcoat from Thailand would be perfect. If you are living in Asia, shouldn’t you wear some Asian clothing?

Before I start this club I want to make sure that enough people are interested. Art for art’s sake - no commercial application. Are you interested?

No, but I think I can tell you why your club members might be unappreciated:[ul][li]People with musical instruments but no formal training.[/li]
[li]Mimes.[/li]
[li]People whose “best work” has come from shaman-like experiences with plants that took you to another plane.[/li]
[li]People who are “into” Buddhism and Daoism. (How about Buddhists and Daoists? Do they qualify?)[/li]
[li]Non-mainstream Christians.[/li]
[li]People who have been to India, Tibet, or Nepal where they absorbed the tranquility and beauty of Buddhism.[/li]
[li]People wearing anti-American clothing. [/li]
[li]People wearing hilltribe waistcoats from Thailand.[/li]
[li]Art for art’s sake - no commercial application. (Xiang de mei:unamused: )[/li]
[li]People who have thrown off the conventions of staid middle-class western society.[/li]
[li]People who are exploring “mind-boundaries”.[/li][/ul]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maoman,

What have you got against mime? Perhaps you’ve just seen traditional mime; there are other more exciting forms such as “Abstract Mime”

“Abstract mime is used to generate feelings, thoughts and images from a serious topic or issue. Normally there is no plot or central character. It is considered a more intuitive experience or image rather than literal actions.”

Mimes are dumb.

Dammit, I was a mime in high school and damn proud too! And nothing gets a party going like the pulling an invisible rope trick from the ceiling…

Do we have to cut off an ear?

If not then I’d be in. I have absolutely no talent or formal training at anything.

But as a published author wouldn’t the founding wookie be breaking his own rules?

Yes, We will be following in the clog steps of Vincent. However, there’s no need to cut off an ear; we can just mime cutting off an ear.

Oh. None of the rules apply to the godlike founder. He’ll be too busy having tantric sex with nubile young females. :laughing:

[quote=“almas john”]Fellow Artists,

We will get together and share our arts; poetry readings, songs, book readings and drama presentations.

We’re looking for free-form art - free of all formal structure. i.e. hopefully nobody will have any published or recorded work (selling out to the mainstream mass-market). If you have a musical instrument but have had no formal training and can not read music then you are perfect. The club’s motto - we don’t play music, we play!

The van Gogh club prefers people who are into Buddhism and Taoism. Sorry, no Christians, unless it’s a non-mainstream church. Remember, we are looking for creative people who are exploring “mind-boundaries.” Your best work should have come from shaman-like experiences with plants that took you to another plane.

Hopefully club members will have been on an Asian trip to India, Tibet, or Nepal where they were able to absorb some of the tranquility and beauty of Buddhism.

To prove that they have thrown off the conventions of staid middle-class western society, club members will be required to wear one piece of ethnic (or anti-establishment, or anti-American) clothing; I don’t want to make rules but something like a hilltribe waistcoat from Thailand would be perfect. If you are living in Asia, shouldn’t you wear some Asian clothing?

Before I start this club I want to make sure that enough people are interested. Art for art’s sake - no commercial application. Are you interested?[/quote]

um, is this just a way to get people to be in a tv commercial for free?

if not, for someone looking to explore “mind boundaries,” you seem a bit confined in your thinking…

That’s it, I’m sold. I could seriously do with some tantric sex. That is, if you’re not too picky about the young and nubile part…one out of three ain’t that bad, right?

With the wookie? You can do better than that. Come around and we can practise the elephant-in-a-cookie jar position. But be quick, I have to meet Sandman for some metro-sex this week as well. Better get me before I’m shagged-out.

Seeing as the topic has veered towards sex, I’ll take the opportunity to ask if anyone (um… I mean anyone’s friend) has ever tried the Taoist “semen retention” regimen? You know, Clintonesque sex.

“Smoke” but don’t “inhale”? :shock: :shock: :shock:

So what you’re saying now is “Wanna join my gang? I promise not to come in your mouth.”?

Honestly John, you Kiwis never give up do you? And advertising to failed artists and whatnot is a even worse. You’re trying to prey on the lack of self worth your victims may feel as a result of not being able to sell their impressionist charcoal sketches of Taipei 101 by moonlight.

I have this vision in my mind of some struggling young nubile in a sarong and ‘no war’ T-shirt trying to make sculpture reflecting the zen of MRT life from discarded water bottles, when this Wookie comes up and says “Wow, pure art. You have great integrity but why are you doing this here? Hasn’t the world woken up to your talent yet? I have a support group for people like you. I can support you in many ways. Wanna come back to my place?”

That reminds me of one of my favourite books: “The man who fell in love with the moon.” by Tom Spanbauer. Wonder if I’ll be able to find that here…

TMWC,

Your Yang Implement is suffering from an excess of heat. May I suggest the following mantras for you to chant whilst teaching.

“Omm. Omm. Don’t look at the girls, don’t look at the girls, don’t look at the girls. Omm Omm.”
“Ahh. [inhale] She’s not worth doing time for. She’s not worth doing time for. [exhale] Omm”

And some advice from an ancient Chinese sex manual
“Man should be careful to adapt his sex life to the flux and influx of Yin and Yang in the cosmos. He should not engage in the sexual act when it is either very cold or very hot, when there is a strong wind or heavy rain, during an earthquake or when there is thunder or lightning…”

[quote]TMWC,

Your Yang Implement is suffering from an excess of heat. May I suggest the following mantras for you to chant whilst teaching.

“Omm. Omm. Don’t look at the girls, don’t look at the girls, don’t look at the girls. Omm Omm.”
“Ahh. [inhale] She’s not worth doing time for. She’s not worth doing time for. [exhale] Omm” [/quote]

So all that stuff I just wrote about respect for women in another thread counts for nothing? That’s a bit rich coming from a being who has just declared his intention to “be too busy having tantric sex with nubile young females.”

While teaching I’m usually too busy chanting “Stop talking and pay attention” to worry about my Yang implant.

Semen retention technique? That wasn’t me either.

Good on yer, mate. Semen retention causes cancer.
An Ejaculation a Day May Keep Prostate Cancer at Bay

Wow! I’m probly gonna live for ever.

Did you know that gorillas don’t masturbate but chimps do?

I learnt that while watching a TV prog in which an anaesthetised (thankfully) gorilla was ‘electro-ejaculated’ for artficial insemination purposes. Apparently the first couple of shots were deemed to be blanks and thrown away on account of all the dead sperm.

This means that pulling your plonker is actually good for the preservation of the species, as it ensures that your mate gets a dose of really fresh little wrigglers when you do finally take the monkey to vaginaville.