Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Live Broadcast

Anyone found a streaming link on the WWW?

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“kage”]I find that sickening. I don’t think you’d see that kind of criticism in Vancouver papers as I understand the media has largely been gagged from negative comments. I have friends that were (legally) kicked out of their apartment in North Van to make room for visitors. The only people that got to vote for the olympics were Vancouverites. The rest of the province (who are also going to bear the brunt of paying for it and suffer the cutbacks) had no vote. How many decades did Montréal take to pay off the '76 olympics?
Anyhow, having said that, and just to show what a spineless prole I am, does anyone have TV coverage who is willing to let me come over to watch women’s (or men’s) olympic hockey (or figure skating, or whatever - but not curling). I’ll bring snacks and stuff.
This is the one time every four years that I wish I had tv.[/quote]

If you were in Tainan you would’ve been more than welcome at my place. Aren’t any of the pubs open?[/quote]

Sure there are several that are showing the Hockey and the other events as well.

eztv.it/ep/18616/the-simpsons-s2 … -xvid-xii/

The Simpsons go to Vancouver. Come for the film tax credits. Stay for the marijuana.

And if you liked that link: eztv.it/ for event by event NBC coverage, Ummm, somewhat delayed. I loves watching me my games on my KMP. Commercials? Why, as a matter of fact,I’ve none. Phone rings? Pause. TV is for amateurs. Pros keep it on the downlow(d).

MOD has lots of coverage- unfortunately it’s been almost non-stop luge so far, following the Wang Chien-ming principal of saturation coverage of anything anyone from Taiwan’s connected with.

Someone else suggested I look into MOD. Admittedly , I am not the best at online research, but all I have been able to find is some Much Music thing. Can anyone explain what MOD (media on demand?) is , and how to access it? Please?

You get it from Hinet… Multimedia On Demand service I think it is called.

Thanks for that.
Pity Chungwah Telecom is closed this week. Off to the pub for what offerings they have.
Canada men vs. Norway tomorrow 8:30 am (Wed. Feb. 17) at the Brass Monkey.

[quote=“trebuchet”]I hope things get better soon.

[quote]http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/jan/31/vancouver-winter-olympics-police
Quote:
“The Bailout Games” have already been labelled a staggering financial disaster. While the complete costs are still unknown, the Vancouver and British Columbian governments have hinted at what’s to come by cancelling 2400 surgeries, laying off 233 government employees, 800 teachers and recommending the closure of 14 schools. It might be enough to make one cynical, but luckily every inch of the city is now coated with advertisements that feature smiley people enjoying the products of the event’s gracious sponsors.

Conservative estimates now speculate that the games will cost upwards of $6bn, with little chance of a return. This titanic act of fiscal malfeasance includes a security force that was originally budgeted at $175m, but has since inflated to $900m. With more than 15,000 members, it’s the largest military presence seen in western Canada since the end of the second world war, an appropriate measure only if one imagines al-Qaida are set to descend from the slopes on C2-strapped snowboards. With a police officer on every corner and military helicopters buzzing overhead, Vancouver looks more like post-war Berlin than an Olympic wonderland. Whole sections of the city are off-limits, scores of roads have been shut down, small businesses have been told to close shop and citizens have been instructed to either leave the city or stay indoors to make way for the projected influx of 300,000 visitors.
[/quote]

Tomorrow is another day. Good luck Canada! Let’s hope things turn around for you![/quote]

And the minute some terrorist possibly would get his bomb in there then we will hear about how security isn’t tight enough. How Canada should have spent more on security etc… etc… Van bid for it now pay for it.

[quote=“djkonstable”] Van bid for it now pay for it.[/quote] Van bid on it, now everybody pay for it. :s
Anyhow, enough grumbling - there is a hockey game on - may as well enjoy it .

The Finnish and American men are ripping apart the halfpipe - amazing heights! No English announcing, though.
channelsurfing.net/watch-winter-olympics-2.html
same announcers here, too:
atdhe.net/
fromsport.com/c-3.html
Shawn White got an almost perfect score!
Hope he is a nice person.

This site requires you fill in a survey - not available in Taiwan - to see the full screen:
moviesontop.com/vancouver-2010/

NBC site says: “Due to Olympic broadcasting regulations, NBC is only allowed to show Olympic competition video on the internet to users in the United States and U.S. Territories (including Puerto Rico). Users outside of those locations will still have access to an extensive set of non-event video content on NBCOlympics.com including the video listed below.”
nbcolympics.com/video/intern … index.html

"Internet surfers looking for live audio or video coverage of Olympic events won’t find any.
International broadcasters are bowing to a Web restriction ordered by the International Olympics Committee.
CBC had to pull some of its programming off the Web, after complaints from the American network, NBC. …
In fact, the ad promoting CBC’s Olympic Web site makes it look like you can see highlight clips from the Games. But that’s forbidden by the IOC ban. The International Olympics Committee has banned any play by play or colour commentary, live or anytime after the event. You also can’t stream (that’s what you call the Internet version of broadcasting) any interviews with crowd sounds, or archival footage. CBC had to pull live radio reports from Sydney off the cbc.ca Web site - after complaints from NBC television. " From: tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4396938

Any other links?

I guess it’s the Brass Monkey. Of course there are many live web feeds but they are usually pay services.

The good things in life are free, some things you just have to pay for.

[quote=“Satellite TV”] Of course there are many live web feeds but they are usually pay services.
The good things in life are free, some things you just have to pay for.[/quote]
Great - links? I’ll pay for streaming for the Olympics.

Vonn finished first - perfectly - after not skiing much at all for two weeks due to a shin injury. My word. It really sucks when the best can’t compete for some reason and those that win, while I am sure they are thrilled to win, know they didn’t compete against the best. In this case, it appears the best rose to the challenge and skied through the pain. Remarkable.

On this website, NBC tells you “How to stream the Olympics from anywhere”. Anywhere in the US, that is. msnbc.msn.com/id/35352283/ns … d_gadgets/ However, near the bottom of the page they give some suggestions for International residents (since the Olympics are not just for people residing in the US). They suggest the BBC and CTV:
On the BBC website: “Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.”
CTV requires you download Silverlight software, which I was unsuccessful at. I am fairly sure my computer is compatible (browser and OS fit the requirements), although I am not sure whether my Mac was made before Apple switched to using Intel or not. microsoft.com/silverlight/ge … .0.40818.0

atdhe.net/

[quote] channelsurfing.net/watch-winter-olympics-2.html
atdhe.net/
fromsport.com/c-3.html[/quote]
Thanks for that, Toasty. These links are all streaming the same announcers, and unfortunately, my Russian is worse than my Chinese. However, once the competition gets a bit more even, and I am more familiar with the players, the announcements won’t matter as much.
I have learned that MOD is not via computer, but via TV.

[quote=“kage”][quote] channelsurfing.net/watch-winter-olympics-2.html
atdhe.net/
fromsport.com/c-3.html[/quote]
Thanks for that, Toasty. These links are all streaming the same announcers, and unfortunately, my Russian is worse than my Chinese. However, once the competition gets a bit more even, and I am more familiar with the players, the announcements won’t matter as much.
I have learned that MOD is not via computer, but via TV.[/quote]

Different streams during different times. Stay tuned.

I am no longer having any luck with the above sites. Not sure why.

If you have a PC, this might work for you:
hichannel.hinet.net
on the black bar the 6th one is sports
Peach and blue boxes are olympics (has live as well as replays)

I was able to get it - sometimes, on my Apple (choppy though) by using Windows Media Player (though usually I got stuck in the same basketball recap), but when I tried upgrading the Media Player to improve quality, I cant get anything beyond a “You need windows OS” messages. Bummer. Choppy does suck for hockey, though.

[quote=“kage”]I am no longer having any luck with the above sites. Not sure why.

If you have a PC, this might work for you:
hichannel.hinet.net
on the black bar the 6th one is sports
Peach and blue boxes are olympics (has live as well as replays)

I was able to get it - sometimes, on my Apple (choppy though) by using Windows Media Player (though usually I got stuck in the same basketball recap), but when I tried upgrading the Media Player to improve quality, I cant get anything beyond a “You need windows OS” messages. Bummer. Choppy does suck for hockey, though.[/quote]

Wow it works!

You need to use IE and you also need to let it install its ActiveX. But it doesn’t have a lot of sports, at least not that I know of. Only hockey, speed skating, luge, speed skating, and a few others. However, it does have the one event that I really wanted to watch, mens half pipe, Shaun White is amazing.