Varied hair textures in the Black community

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I’m not going to repost the pictures for space and bandwidth sake.

Picture 1 has a relaxer and a weave. Look at the difference in texture between the hair on her head and the ponytail.

Picture 2 - definitely relaxed and tracked.

Picture 3 - Jasmine Guy had curly hair back when on A Different World… now it’s “naturally” straight?
Picture 4 - Lena’s Horne’s hair is so processed it’s not even funny.

I’m not saying these women have nappy hair that breaks combs or that they all have weaves, but they certainly did not get that perfectly straight hair from their genes.[/quote]

I am going to stand on my argument about Ethiopian women. Given that we have a large population in Chicago and the fact I’ve got some really really “nappy” hair I do know the difference.

But what do I know…I’m just a frustrated black women who’s run the gamut at doing all sorts of styles and damage to her hair to know otherwise…

I will back you up on that. Ethiopians and Eritreans for that matter definitely have some different hair textures.

Err what are you on? I do know what I’m talking about. What you think because of my statements I’ve never been in hair salon? And if anything, and from experience,
a hair salon catering to black women would be the LAST place to find “the truth” :unamused:

Because my hair is nappy? I don’t think nappy is a negative word, like other words such as course, kinky, dry, etc. I like my nappiness, and I love combing through it, braiding it, and rubbing it down with oil.

I said a hair salon, because there you can see the process of a woman getting her hair done, ie getting tracks put in, having a perm applied etc.

I have a date lined up for me when I return to Taiwan, can I say potential disaster? I haven’t been to Taiwan in two years and my Chinese has regressed so much. I hope I don’t bring shame to my friend, ie the one that was really pushing me to date his friend.

I always thought nappy was just an adjective. People called my hair nappy when I was growing up all the time.

Don’t be coy.

Right. And to suggest such a thing as if Namahottie or I have never been to a hair salon is ridiculous. I know what happens at a hair salon is no great truth. Indeed what is more truthful is what happens in living rooms and kitchens. None of this changes the fact that all black people do not have the same hair texture; we don’t all conform to this narrow view that you and ImanOU seem to hold.

Ummm, I wasn’t trying to be coy, I was being honest/real. I don’t view the term nappy as a negative. It can be used as a negative, but the word itself is a descriptor to describe a certain type of hair. I mean my hair is curly, but not the curliness that people will think. Its nappy and kinky, straight up. Maybe its from years of repression that some people think that nappiness is bad. But whatever.

[quote=“naijeru”]
Right. And to suggest such a thing as if Namahottie or I have never been to a hair salon is ridiculous. I know what happens at a hair salon is no great truth. Indeed what is more truthful is what happens in living rooms and kitchens. None of this changes the fact that all black people do not have the same hair texture; we don’t all conform to this narrow view that you and ImanOU seem to hold.[/quote]

Dude, I didn’t even know Namahottie was a woman until she PM’ed me. I was just reading the thread and my response was basically from their commentary. The point wasn’t that all black people have different hair texture (all humans have different textures), it is the fact that black people do not naturally have the straight texture that the media advertises all the time, unless they are mixed. And before you twist what I mean by mixed I will just define it a person having equal to or less than 50% blood that is from African descent.

Just playing devil’s advocate a bit, but I have an African American friend with several children with the same African American man, and one of those children has naturally straight hair. He also happens to be very dark, though most of his family are a lighter color.

I heard a statistic on NPR that said something 80% of black people in the United States are at least 20% white. There’s been a lot of mixing going on throughout the centuries whether the law or the status quo allowed for it or not.

[quote=“occhimarroni”]

I heard a statistic on NPR that said something 80% of black people in the United States are at least 20% white. There’s been a lot of mixing going on throughout the centuries whether the law or the status quo allowed for it or not.[/quote]

Lol, look at my preface. I know I have at least 15% European blood floating through my veins. The majority of Americans are mixed. Both my great grandparents were half black and half white, but my grandma and mother both married people from caribbean/african descent (to the great displeasure of my great grandma… she was all into the whole brown bag bs).

And its not impossible to get a date! Have hope, just do it the Chinese/Taiwanese way ie get set up by your Taiwanese friends.

[quote=“SophieEd”][quote=“occhimarroni”]

I heard a statistic on NPR that said something 80% of black people in the United States are at least 20% white. There’s been a lot of mixing going on throughout the centuries whether the law or the status quo allowed for it or not.[/quote]

Lol, look at my preface. I know I have at least 15% European blood floating through my veins. The majority of Americans are mixed. Both my great grandparents were half black and half white, but my grandma and mother both married people from caribbean/african descent (to the great displeasure of my great grandma… she was all into the whole brown bag bs).

And its not impossible to get a date! Have hope, just do it the Chinese/Taiwanese way ie get set up by your Taiwanese friends.[/quote]

Oh god, now we’re moving onto the Canablasian conversation. :unamused: This is ridiculous and absolutely pathetic for a dating thread to follow the same moronic argument blacks have been having for years about hair. SophieEd, get over yourself. You can not paint blacks with a broad brush and argue that we can not have straight hair and then trot out your 15% European blood babble. Get thee to Africa and see that yes, we can have a broad range of hair textures as well as physical features. :unamused:

1 Like

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Oh god, now we’re moving onto the Canablasian conversation. :unamused: This is ridiculous and absolutely pathetic for a dating thread to follow the same moronic argument blacks have been having for years about hair. SophieEd, get over yourself. You can not paint blacks with a broad brush and argue that we can not have straight hair and then trot out your 15% European blood babble. Get thee to Africa and see that yes, we can have a broad range of hair textures as well as physical features. :unamused:[/quote] :popcorn:

Well, Namahottie at least we agree with two things. One, yes this is a moronic argument about hair and two black people do have a broad range of hair textures (1a being the rarest) and physical features (which wasn’t anything debated).

Let me be brief, and try to end something that I didn’t start and at the same time clear up any misunderstandings. My main point was that blacks do not have the hair that the media typically portrays us to have. I have never once in my life seen a black person with bone straight hair that was natural. However, I am not going to say that this doesn’t exist, but that it is quite rare (and something I have not seen before, even after searching for it on the internet, not saying that it does not exists).

And I’m sure there are Taiwanese women who really do have huge ass freaky-looking irises that take up most of their eyeball and are not just wearing contact lenses. Seeing is believing, namahottie, and I still ain’t seen an example of a fully african woman with “1a hair” (as I said in the post that started all of this hubris).

They’re out there…I’m seeing them all the time in Chicago especially on the northside where most Africans reside.

Yeah, and when you get to Africa you’ll find a lot of young women with hair down to their ass, lots with fairly straight hair, lots with hair that is not black. Because they’ve got weaves or are using relaxers. Because they think it looks good, and they think the men like it. And the African men I know do like it.

Yeah, and when you get to Africa you’ll find a lot of young women with hair down to their ass, lots with fairly straight hair, lots with hair that is not black. Because they’ve got weaves or are using relaxers. Because they think it looks good, and they think the men like it. And the African men I know do like it.[/quote]

Oh God, the ubiquitous weave and creamy crack. My sistahs are in bondage no matter the place. :laughing:

They are in “bondage” because they choose to be. Nobody put a gun to their heads and said “relax your hair or else”.

They choose to poison their bodies in order to look more like Europeans with their relaxers and skin bleaches.

And pictures, Nama. If those picture you put up were the only examples of “naturally” 1a-haired black women, I think this argument is over.

For the record, this is 1a hair…

[quote=“ImaniOU”]They are in “bondage” because they choose to be. Nobody put a gun to their heads and said “relax your hair or else”.

They choose to poison their bodies in order to look more like Europeans with their relaxers and skin bleaches.

And pictures, Nama. If those picture you put up were the only examples of “naturally” 1a-haired black women, I think this argument is over.
[/quote]

Its a joke. But evidently, there is a serious sore spot with you and this hair issue. Having done hair in undergrad down in New Orleans (hello creole anyone), I’m pretty
well aware of the various “grades” of hair there are. So you needed continue with your condescension to make a point.

It seems to me you were confused when I said 1a so I put up a picture for you to see what I meant. Jasmine Guy, Lena Horne, et al in those pictures you posted don’t have anything near 1a hair. Also it was for those who are not familiar with the Walker system so they aren’t left out of the discussion by not knowing what I meant.

Still waiting for even one picture to prove me wrong…

:popcorn:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]They are in “bondage” because they choose to be. Nobody put a gun to their heads and said “relax your hair or else”.

For the record, this is 1a hair…
[/quote]
This hair has probably been straightened as well. When I first got to Asia, I couldn’t understand why the Korean and Taiwanese gilrs were straightening their hair - after all, any chemical process damages the hair - because I thought their hair, in almost all cases, was natuarally straight already. But it isn’t, quite. It seems nobody is happy with what they naturally have.