Vegetarian Christmas main courses

Anyone got any good ideas for vegetarian main courses for Christmas?

I usually do something based on mushrooms, grains/nuts/pulses/falafel/vegeburger ingredients, red wine, butter and other stuff made into either a pie/pudding or a nut roast/loaf kinda thing. Usually it’s pretty much improvised. When the sauce/mixture is missing something, butter and red wine usually do the trick.

Anyone else got any ideas?

vegsource.com/christmas.htm
vegsoc.org/info/xmas.html
bbc.co.uk/food/vegetarian_an … enus.shtml

the wonders of search engines… :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know, I can find recipes easily enough (and have done for the past sixteen years). Just wondered what different people like to do and why.

sorry…

I read in the Larousse Gastronomique about some Aztec dish: turkey with mole (chocolate sauce). It seems some vegetable mole could be really cool

I wouldn’t be surprised to find vegetarian mole (the rodent) here in Taiwan. Always struck me as odd how a culture with a longer history of vegetarianism was more set on reproducing animals body parts using soya. I guess it’s all about participating in cultural rituals.

Have you seen the vegetarian pigs trotters, sheep stomachs etc?

he

I don’t know why, but some kind of casserole seems good for Christmas dinner. I think I associate this kind of oven baked food with the seasonal feast. You could also prepare side dishes like mashed potatoes and soup to spice things up.

sdgfa

Not really a main dish but it’s damn good anyway. Try geting some sweet potatoes or yams (both will work well) peel and cut them into 3/4 inch chunks or slices. Boil until they are tender. Put them into a baking dish and add a 1/4 pound (hefty slice or about a cube) of butter. Pour a cup of white sugar and a cup of brown sugar over the top. Put enough marshmallows over the top to cover the spuds. Cover the dish and bake at about 160 C. for about an hour or until the marshmallows are well dissolved and melty looking. Pull it out and uncover the dish. Put it back in the oven at the same temperature until the marshmallows start to turn brown and crispy.
Damn good side dish but I do it as a main course just to maintain my mighty girth.

I made a similar sweet potato dish for thanksgiving. I used the America’s Test Kitchen Recipe. Cut the potatoes in half, glaze with a butter and brown sugar mixture. Bake in the oven for a while. After the glaze has caramelized, mash up with drained apple sauce. Put in the casserole dish and cover with marshmallows and broil til browned.