Vegetarian food in Taiwan

[quote=“zealflyer”]as well as great Western-style vegetarian food (Bongos Veggie Quesidillas are highly recommended).
[/quote]

Where can I find it?

Thank you, :)!

Check the “Canadian Society Social night - May 13th at Bongos” thread. There’s are map to Bongos posted there.

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“lime*monkey”]
Avoid French fries from places like McDonalds & co, they are using animal oil, or at least blended oil (I thought they were not supposed to do that worldwide anymore, but that’s what one manager at McDonalds here told us).[/quote]

McDonalds made a big press announcement about ten years ago. They said they would stop using animal oil. Then, they secretly switched bak to animal oil. Ten years go by, and then they got caught. They ended up needing to pay a $12 million settlement in the case brought against McDonald’s for misleading the public by making the claim that their French fries were made with vegetable oil when beef was actually included. The $12 million went to Jewish, Islamic and Hindi charities. If you’re interested you can search for the terms McDonalds, french fries, and case. [/quote]

McDonald’s french fries are not vegetarian, but it’s not because of the oil. Yes, many years ago they switched to vegetable oil, but the class-action lawsuit that took place recently was not in protest of the oil they were using (as in most places around the world they ARE using vegetable oil). What the real problem is is that they use a beef seasoning on the fries, which is done during production, long before they reach the restaurants in their frozen bags.

The only place you’re guaranteed to get their fries without the beef seasoning is in India and a couple other Asian countries (which ones they are is escaping me at the moment).

In common with some previous posters, I think Taiwan is not a bad place to be veggie, although I have some significant reservations. I remember in my first few months here I thought Taiwan was fantastic in that respect, because I was given instant knowledge of most of the Tainan eateries through my girlfriend who is vegetarian and grew up here. But it wasn’t too long before I realised the majority of places are very uninspiring: greasy, unhygienic etc.

I sometimes lament the lack of variety and the focus on highly processed fake meat stuff as opposed to vegetables, as has been mentioned. Sometimes it’s very tasty, but as the main part of every meal, please…

Having said, that I have lived in China before and Taiwan is veggie heaven compared to there. I really appreciate that there are lots of 100% veggie places, as I do not have happy memories of the many dishes of extremely dubious vegetarianness that I eat in China. Not to mention eating a whole bowl of congealed duck’s blood after being told it was vegetarian ‘like doufu’. Not meat = vegetarian of course, silly me. :s

So for every time I complain about the bad aspects of veg food in Taiwan, there’ll be another time where I’ll have a damn tasty meal that makes me think things really aren’t so bad. I also have had some of the best doufu ever here. And personally I love the frozen shuijiao from the supermarkets, better than the majority of handmade ones I think: cheap, quick and easy. But overall I guess the (lack of) variety aspect is the worst thing about Taiwan.

I’ve only been here a year but can imagine how the people who’ve been here a good while get really tired of eating out. I’m already leaning towards cooking at home more and more despite the time it takes and money it doesn’t save.

Should you ever be in Taichung, be sure to check out the veggie food at the Japanese restaurant I recommended some time ago in [url=Weekend in Taizhong thread[/url]. You might have to edit your post afterwards! :wink:

I’m in my 20th year in Taiwan and have not had any problem adhering to a strictly vegetarian diet throughout my time here. It wasn’t all that easy when I first arrived, but it has got better and better as time has gone by, with the quality and variety of choices improving year by year.

I have hardly ever encountered any negativity toward my being vegetarian. On the contrary, nearly everyone I’ve ever known has been positive about it, with countless people telling me that they’d love to become vegetarian too if only they could be strong-willed enough to stick to it. And many of my xiaojie friends have, indeed, become eager converts to vegetarianism along the way, though I expect at least some of them have lapsed back into meat-eating ways since we slipped out of each other’s lives.

OK, and now for something more practical:
Can anyone give addresses for good veggie restaurants in Taipei/Taichung/Kaohsiung…???

#1. located in Taipei’s Ximending. It’s light-tasting, low on the grease AND they have brown rice to boot. It’s called…

玄德

address: 漢口街二段34巷4號
that’s: Hankou St., Section 2, lane 34 No.4.
TEL: 2314-4357

They’re across from a little coffee shop in the alley. The sign is orange. The vegetables are cooked fresh for lunch and fresh for dinner. After 7:30, it’s all you can eat for 60 dollars. Closed on Sundays. YUM YUM!

What time does that one close?

Thx, :)!

1 recommendation is an all-u-can-eat for 69 NTD , in one of SHI DA ROAD alleys.

They serve fruits.

Their buffet r best at around noon to 12:30 p.m.

It gets pretty crowded from 7:30 to 8. I think they close around 8:30. Anyway, the foods almost all gone by 8 anyway. It’s YUMMY.

Hard to find the place. Go down movie street (武昌street). When you get to the “Pasta Bar” next to the funny sticker arcade, go into that alley. There are a bunch of dumpy restaurants and a couple of decent restaurants in that alley. There’s also one AWESOME VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT! YAY!