Vehicle Inspection in Taichung

I posted on an old thread but no one has yet answered. Does anyone know where I can have my car inspected in Taichung City? The annual inspection is due by the end of this week, and I have no idea where I can have it done.

People have recommended I just have a mechanic take the car for me, but I speak no Chinese and don’t know any trustworthy mechanics. Where can I have it inspected myself? The Office of Motor Vehicles appears to be pretty far outside of Taichung City. Aren’t there any places within the city?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I’ve been going crazy searching for the info online with ZERO luck.

There’s a DMV site on Beitun Road, but I don’t think they inspect cars there. I think you will have to go to the site up on Dadushan. Directions here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … v+taichung

[quote=“joesax”]There’s a DMV site on Beitun Road, but I don’t think they inspect cars there. I think you will have to go to the site up on Dadushan. Directions here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … v+Taichung[/quote]
Thanks a lot, Joesax. I couldn’t even find the main DMV office on my map. But aren’t there a handful of designated places within the city to do the inspection?

The inspection isn’t needed on cars under five years old, so since no one seems to know I guess I’m the only one driving an old car.

I just had mine checked a couple of weeks ago. There’s a Ssangyong dealership near Costco, just off of Wen Xin Road. I think it’s on the intersection of Wen Xin Road and Wen Xin 6th South Street. It’s one of many places where you can have it done. Just drive in to the open garage from 8:30-5:30ish. Just cruise around there until you find the Ssangyong car dealer. They do have someone in the office who speaks English quite well. I would give you more exact info, but I tossed the paper with address and phone number. Good luck!

Thanks a lot, beefeater. I’ll give that a try today.

UPDATE: After looking at the map, I realized the DMV would be just as close, so I went there to be safe. The whole process took about 15 minutes and cost $450.

Directions to Taichung DMV:

Head towards Tung Hai University on Taichung Kang Road, pass the university, go on towards the top of the hill. Follow the signs for Taichung Motor Vehicles Office, turning left onto You Yuan Road. It’s a few kilometers down You Yuan Road on the left.

No need to go all the way to Donghai for inspection if you live in northern Taichung. There is a gas station on Jun gong rd. near Song zhu rd. that handles inspections. Driving on Jun gong road from the Taiping / Tai yuan rd. direction, shortly after passing Song zhu rd. there is a large gas station (signposted) on the right with an inspection station. You will need to pay insurance, taxes etc. before inspection though which has to be done at the DMV on Bei tun rd.