Vehicle reg

I have a motorbike…maybe this is a common problem with people with scooters… I bought the bike off a friend before he left taiwan…the problem is now that…
I want to change the reg to me and have the bike in my name…the only thing is that the MVD in Taiwan will need the person to authroize the change of ownership…since that person is in the US…what they want is the person to either come to the MVD office to change ownership or a letter stamped in the Taiwan "Embassy " in the states from the previuos owner saying he authorizes the change of reg to my name…
Is there an another way around this ???

I can ensure the bike in his name…but will that insurance cover me ??

Can I give an excuse if the cops stop me saying that I can’t change the reg to my name…so thats why its out of date with the last two months …
However then i may be subject to a fine of 2000NTD…for driving an unreged bike

Hey Yea, I have the same problem. Worse yet, I remember we went to the police station to try to change this and they said they couldn’t help me. I think I just wanted them to notorize a signed letter from this guy while the guys was still here then I would go to the MVD and do the change. Didn’t work though and now I want to sell the bike I have and get a new one. About the police stopping don’t worry, they don’t seem to care about something so petty.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad MAx: [b]I have a motorbike..maybe this is a common problem with people with scooters.. I bought the bike off a friend before he left taiwan..the problem is now that.. I want to change the reg to me and have the bike in my name..the only thing is that the MVD in Taiwan will need the person to authroize the change of ownership..since that person is in the US..what they want is the person to either come to the MVD office to change ownership or a letter stamped in the Taiwan "Embassy " in the states from the previuos owner saying he authorizes the change of reg to my name.. Is there an another way around this ???

I can ensure the bike in his name…but will that insurance cover me ??

Can I give an excuse if the cops stop me saying that I can’t change the reg to my name…so thats why its out of date with the last two months …
However then i may be subject to a fine of 2000NTD…for driving an unreged bike[/b]

Thanks for the advice

Comments by Anthony “the Skunk”, noted motorcycle repairman, formerly resident in Taichung:

REGISTRATION: This is a common problem with scooters/cars and western visitors. It’s really hard to say, as I found that the regulations at the vehicle licencing department changed unpredictably from month to month.
Generally, like anything else, what they want you to do is probably made up on the spot. One of the long distance title transfers that I performed involved the
former owner who was already in New York. She mailed me her old ARC and signed copies of title transfer papers that I had mailed to her with detailed information as to how to go about filling them out. When the
bike was finally sold, the rules had changed to the previous owner having to be there in person to sign in front of the clerk, and we were being forced to use our western names even if we had official Chinese names and chops… I explained to the clerk that the former owner had mailed me the papers from New York, and showed her the cancelled
envelopes to prove it, and she let us transfer title. This was in the autumn of '99 in Taichung, however, where they are generally more willing do bend the rules and regulations a bit. I’ve never heard of them requiring some certified documentation from an ROC Overseas Office in the States, although I suppose that is reasonable. It sounds to me that the person involved,
unless s/he is a close friend of the bike’s former owner, is out of luck.

INSURANCE: If s/he buys insurance in the former owner’s name, it will not cover him/her (new owner). But insurance is immaterial if this person does not have a Taiwan motorcycle driver’s licence. If you are involved in an
accident and are not rich, if you don’t have a licence then “it’s your fault”, no matter what the cicumstances.

POLICE: The cops are not really interested in details, but will generally let you go without incident. I have been pulled over on the North South Expressway for speeding on the shoulder, and I didn’t have any ID or license on me. They just told me to drive more slowly and sent me on my way.

I just found out the guy who sold me the bike and is back in England already turned in his ARC, so there is no way for this bike to ever be legal! This is ridiculous. I will just update the insurance and registration by mail but I won’t be able to change the name ont he registration or insurance and so the next guy that buys my scooter will have the same problems, but I think so many people have the same problem anyway.

There should be some way of dealing with this legally instead of me having to be illegal about it because I have NO other choices.

I suppose one might say I shouldn’t have purchased the bike. Forget it, I got a great deal and the police don’t care about much anyway. I didn’t steal the bike and I tried to change the ownership.

Now I also have a copy of his ARC and passport but he cannot go in person to change the registration!

First let’s talk about changing the REGISTRATION. Why not do it by registered mail?

You can get a copy of the necessary form from the MVD, and you have stated that you have copies of his ARC and passport, etc., So, have your friend write an accompanying letter in Chinese, and get ready to mail it in to the MVD. (Don’t bother to ask them if you can do it by mail. The people at the MVD know nothing.)

You will need to chop the letter (and perhaps the application form) with his chop, but you can a chop made if necessary, for about NT$ 70 or less. Is the motorcycle registered in his Chinese name? or Western name?

If you are interested in this option we could discuss it further. Please fax me a copy of all the forms before you think about sending them in. I will review them and suggest improvements. My fax in Taipei is (02) 2792 6545.

Do you want to get all the paperwork ready but then actually send it in during early January 2001? The new ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE LAW goes into effect then, so you would have a stronger case for an Administrative Appeal if the MVD rejected your application.

I have a question about this.

Is it a matter of

1. Get your a copy of your friends passport and ARC
    2)Get a Chinese friend to write a letter claiming they are that friend, who owns the bike
    3)Fill out the application form.
    4)Buy a chop, and chop the letter, the MVD will assume it is a “legal” chop, and it is your friends chop.
  2. Mail the application and the letter. The letter states in Chinese that the person who owns the bike authorizes the change of reg to you.
    6)In the letter include all his details, ARC Number/Passport and your details