Very dangerous new flu strain breaks out in Mexico City

According to this article, Taiwan will quarantine anyone showing Flu symptoms when they arrive:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Swine-flu-travel-warnings-apf-15039194.html?.v=7

I almost went to the Yucatan this may, glad I didn’t. A recent mexican stamp in the passport is not a good thing.

The whole world has taken note of this new dangerous flu. YOu can read articles on it everywhere. Some experts think the next few days will help determine if they have been able to deal with it before it becomes a pandemic.
health.asiaone.com/Health/News/S … 37824.html

This killer flu needs a catchy name. ManBirdPig maybe?

I hope I don’t catch a cold (let alone any form of flu) before I go back to Taiwan this weekend… :pray:

cbs5.com/national/swine.flu.us.2.995463.html

40 confirmed cases in USA. America is getting ready for flu pandemic. Europe reported new cases too

One of our teachers went to Mexico over Spring break and had a gastgric surgery updated. (had a band removed and her stomach, umm, I guess “shortened?”) She looked quite bad–like sick–for a while. We had one young man leave class today feeling ill, and several others have been out for more than a week. I just try not to think about it.

Damn Tex-Mex-Yankee flu, you stay over there now ya hear!

Bah! Don’t believe the hype.

HG

Tommyflu

Well to0mmy is headin your way. Better not catch it beforehands tho or I wont be able to get on the plane.

To make matters worse, there was a strong earthquake in Mexico, 5.7. Somebody up there is really pissed off.

The Mexican authorities are receiving a lot of criticism. On the newspapers in Spanish there was the statement from the widow of one of the victims. She found out that her husband had the swine flu from an AP newspapaer report identifying him as one. The Mexican government has not informed her up till now. To make matters worse, she lives in a medium-poor neighborhood, and 3 of her neighbors raise piggies for their own consumption. The neighbors have not been told by the authorities to take any precautions to prevent the flu (none of them are sick…yet).

If it is not a conspiracy to test a new viral weapon, then it is the usual conspiracy in Latin America to get rid of poverty by getting rid of the poor. Sigh

Chalchiuhtoto and Tepeyollotl, I imagine.

Back when there were regular human sacrfices in Mexico there was no swine flu, global warming or global financial crisis.

I’ll be in Mexico City on Friday. People are reported to be reasonably calm…they certainly are here (La Paz, B.C.S.).

BroonAntiviral

Alas poor Broon. Spared by the ocean and its creatures only to succumb to a pig’s sniffle.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Alas poor Broon. Spared by the ocean and its creatures only to succumb to a pig’s sniffle.

HG[/quote]

Living life dangerously is where it’s at…and anyway, most pigs here are easily bribed.

BroonAirport

This could be a load of hype.

Around 15,000 people die in the US every year because of flu. That’s almost 300 a week.

Mexico City is a polluted shit hole not famous for it’s medical facilities. I would guess the dead had low immune systems.
Something like 300 people a day die there from TB daily.

The amount of dead in a city of 20 million is minuscule, but then again who knows what the real figures are. Governments can’t be trusted to inform us of the truth.

No matter what, profits will be made by the likes of inept Baxter:

[quote]
A U.S. based pharmaceutical company that just weeks ago was involved in a scandal involving vaccines tainted with deadly avian flu virus has been chosen to head up efforts to produce a vaccine for the Mexican swine flu that has seemingly migrated into the U.S. and Europe.

Baxter confirmed over the weekend that it is working with the World Health Organization on a potential vaccine to curb the deadly swine flu virus that is blamed for scores of deaths in Mexico and has emerged as a threat in the U.S., reports the Chicago Tribune.

However, Baxter has a very recent and most disturbing connection to flu vaccines.

As reported by multiple sources last month, including the Times of India, vaccines contaminated with deadly live H5N1 avian flu virus were distributed to 18 countries last December by a lab at an Austrian branch of Baxter.

It was only by providence that the batch was first tested on ferrets in the Czech Republic, before being shipped out for injection into humans. The ferrets all died and the shocking discovery was made.

Czech newspapers immediately questioned whether the events were part of a conspiracy to deliberately provoke a pandemic, following up on accusations already made by health officials in other countries.

Initially, Baxter attempted to stonewall questions by invoking “trade secrets” and refused to reveal how the vaccines were contaminated with H5N1. After increased pressure they then claimed that pure H5N1 batches were sent by accident.

As Mike Adams of Natural News has commented, “If you mail an envelope full of anthrax to your Senator, you get arrested as a terrorist. So why is Baxter — which mailed samples of a far more deadly viral strain to labs around the world — getting away with saying, essentially, ‘Oops?’”[/quote]
infowars.com/baxter-to-devel … u-scandal/

Shit !! TV news just said 3 confirmed cases in Sacramento (just an hours drive from me) !!

And I got the sniffles and a bit of a headache since yesterday.

But since im kinda porky its probably just pork flu , rather then swine flu.

[quote=“cake”]This could be a load of hype.

Around 15,000 people die in the US every year because of flu. That’s almost 300 a week.

[/quote]

And when you see headlines from CNN: Flu pandemic: What would happen next?, then you gotta ask what is their angle here

Bad news sells I guess, and there is plenty of fodder being generated to scare people into watching TVs and newspapers.There are plenty of pharmaceutical companies prepared to sell wonder drugs to people, obviously with a nice big profit margin to them

Have you received medical care there, cake, or are you, to put it politely, providing uninformed opinion?

I don’t dispute that health care in much of Mexico is poor, DF is polluted, and so on, but the largest cities do have modern health care available. I also agree that when the dust settles we might find there’s been some hype in all of this. But it is better to take such matters too seriously at first than not seriously enough.