Veryca Project

I bought last month this 2011 Veryca minitruck. Its 4WD with LOW gear switch
Its very clean, owned before by one owner, old man.
My purpose for this truck was:

• Have space for my 4 dogs
  • able to bring stuff for my restaurant and my farm
  • go casually (not hardcore) off-road: beach, dirt roads
  • and in general I like to improve cars, but with new car we bought with my wife didn’t have too much chance. :frowning:
    So here starts an upgrades ( I started blog to record all truck transformation http://www.harilandistributors.com/veryca/)

Installed 2" lift kit so I can fit a bigger tires

Sorry, I don’t know how to decrease size of photos here on board

You might consider reducing the size of your engine first. 4L is rather a lot for a Veryca. :slight_smile:

Good luck with it.

I almost bought one a few years ago but came across the “Trucks are only for Taiwanese” regulation which would have prevented me registering it, so the deal fell through.

Thank you
I mean LOW gear
Engine size 1200cc

That “militarized” version on your webpage looks pretty good (apart from the wheels, which look like they might be alloys). Rather like a miniature British Army Dodge 50.

I lived in one of those for a couple of years in London. Nice, but rather scary to drive in the city if you weren’t actually a truck driver.

That DID have a 4L engine :slight_smile:

Ducked, is that your girlfriend behind the truck? nice shoes.

[quote=“Ducked”]That “militarized” version on your webpage looks pretty good (apart from the wheels, which look like they might be alloys). Rather like a miniature British Army Dodge 50.

I lived in one of those for a couple of years in London. Nice, but rather scary to drive in the city if you weren’t actually a truck driver.

That DID have a 4L engine :slight_smile:[/quote]

That is a nice truck with big off-road capabilities. Which is a big necessity on London streets :slight_smile:
Must be a chick magnet.

Little bit too big for Taiwanese mountain roads though

That’s not actually mine. Mine was an ex-British Telecom workshop truck converted to a camper.

Bought it off a dodgy French geezer who distracted me with stories of driving an LVT in Indochine before Dien Bien Phu, and I forgot to try reversing it, which turned out to be absolutely terrifying.

It was quite a lot bigger, and yellow, with double rear wheels.

I don’t, sadly, have any pictures of mine, but it was quite like this.

Always meant to take one on Westminster Bridge with the Houses of Parliament dwarfed in the background, but never got around to it.

(You had to keep a fairly low profile as an urban “New Age Traveller” in Thatcher’s Britain, especially if you worked in The City.)

Lived in it for about 2 years, then it was broken into, vandalised, then stolen.

Paid 1800 quid for it, saved me about 10,000 quid in rent, insurance paid out 1600 quid. Arguably my best automotive investment.

Bloke who did its MOT’s said they often went to Africa, so I hope its still running somewhere.

one thing i remember about Veryca 4wd is hat the transmission case, or oil pan, under the front, has no rock protection. A group I volunteered with doing forest surveys on Jade Mountain broke two in a week from having rocks punch through the oil pan, resulting in sudden loss of transmission. after the first one was fixed, by having a spare pan brought in, the next one went on the same truck a week later on the way out. lying in the cold mud fixing it was a lot of fun.

You might want to add a bolt-on cover sheet if you do tend to go off road a bit. Should be easy enough to get one made up from 4 mm alu sheet.

[quote=“urodacus”]one thing i remember about Veryca 4wd is hat the transmission case, or oil pan, under the front, has no rock protection. A group I volunteered with doing forest surveys on Jade Mountain broke two in a week from having rocks punch through the oil pan, resulting in sudden loss of transmission. after the first one was fixed, by having a spare pan brought in, the next one went on the same truck a week later on the way out. lying in the cold mud fixing it was a lot of fun.

You might want to add a bolt-on cover sheet if you do tend to go off road a bit. Should be easy enough to get one made up from 4 mm alu sheet.[/quote]

Thank you for advice.
When I was at shop changing oil I also noticed good, thick subframe under engine and front diff but no protection. I planning to fabricate and install some simple aluminum (or metal at least) protection.
Need to see Nankang tires tire shop next week and figure out if I can install a set of 205/75/14 FT-7 http://www.nankang-tyre.com/home.php?fn=chi/products_car_detail&lv1=26&lv2=29&no=34
Seems it will have 2.71 diameter and 1.57 inches width bigger than original 165/R13 LT tires

[quote=“feropont”]
Seems it will have 2.71 diameter and 8.07 inches width bigger than original 165/R13 LT tires[/quote]

Let me know if you want to sell the old ones (cheap).

I THINK they’d probably fit.

You want to fit LT tires to a scooter? If I understand correctly from the link you provided?
Only one tires is almost new: Bridgestone Duravis other 3 plus spare practically shot
But anyway I would keep them, as I was told if I go for bigger tires I will have a problem at inspection time.
So I would keep them for passing inspection.
p.s. as for my measurement and calculations 165/R13 LT tires correspond to a 165/75R13 size tires

No scooters involved. Skywing car, with rather old dry Bridgestones on it, though they still have enough tread. Didn’t know they checked tyre sizes at inspection, but its not worth taking a chance on.

Won’t you need a spare set of wheels? Swapping tyres on and off rims would get tedious quite quickly.

Got new spacers, rims and tires.
Do you like a look? Maybe change a color?

Looks tidy. I’d keep the blue basic colour, and go for decorative flames or even shark or tiger teeth, a la “Flying Tigers”. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers

The blue colour gives you immunity from having to obey road rules, and forces other road users to beware. It’s a colour of special significance in Taiwan, you know.

I lean more toward this color scheme:

Hi Feropont,
I am going to move to a rural area in the south of Taiwan. I thought about converting a Veryca pickup for use as both a camper and a for carrying small loads. I came upon your post from 2016. So, did you fix up your Veryca? Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it as a worthwhile project, or suggest a different vehicle?
Cheers!
Jipcho

I do not recommend this car. Not only it’s too small for me (6’1) but it consume a lots of gas. 50 L tanks never lasted for more than 250 km.
I sold it 2 years ago and recommend you ( what I drive now) diesel Kia K2500. It’s 4x4 crew cab. I bought it new. Not sure what your requirement are. 4x4 old car not easy to find. Diesel cheaper and my 55L tank last for 450-600 km

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, Feropont. I will look into the Kia K2500. I, too always prefer diesels. Do they make a pickup truck, also?

Haha, I just googled images of the K2500. Looks like a nice sized pickup, and has the extra cab space that the Veryca doesn’t. Thanks again!