Victorian England (are you thinking about it?)

Lets just say he was a bit of a charlatan when it came to health and safety and never ask for any work done Friday afternoon.

3 Likes

And the idea that sex is bad and unclean comes from Victorian era too (or so I think, maybe correct me if I am wrong).

Ancient Rome is kinda like the western equivalent of the Ching dynasty (秦朝), wherein the identity of the entire culture is based on, so of course it’s looked on with love.

The way he brought down the chimneys seemed sketchy (and interesting) AF. The pit prop method.
Hacked out the base of the structure, replaced it with logs. Then burnt the wood. Dangerous, but he believed in using a respectful method to bring the chimneys down, not like those hooligan dynamite men.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with using dynamite? They use them because it’s much safer than trying to undermine a chimney and then replacing it with logs.

Makes it easier to think about it every day

:wink:

I basically never think about Victorian England. Maybe the era is too brief
:man_shrugging:

Next thread: Feudal Japan!

1 Like

Logs or railway sleepers “borrowed” from springs branch locomotive yard, which they never did get back.

2 Likes

I guess you meant 漢朝?

Yip, that was one side of my family (other side of family can trace its lineage back to the Dutch coming over as textile traders to Norwich after 1688 Glorious Revolution).

The Irish side–potato famine emigrants to Liverpool and extended family have mostly remained there since. But Christ, the Irish side, what a tough bunch of folks. One descendent (my great grandpa) fought in the trenches in WW1, was one of only a few survivors from their neighborhood (along with the factory owner’s son that ensured him a job for life), alcoholic for rest of his life, chain smoker,but still lived to be 98 (met him a young lad when he was late in life). A tough breed–lots of longevity on that side.

I mean, we are essentially picking between two lumps of dog shit here. There’s no best choice.

Whoops!

2 Likes

I was really debating what to say whether han or ching. Because ching dynasty, as ruthless as ching shih Huang was, unified china.

Fred was not a fan of it. He was all about the ‘respectful’ Victorian pit prop method. I think he’s convinced me too.

Using dynamite just doesn’t have the same pomp and circumstance.

1 Like

And you get to see the smoke billowing from the chimney one last time.

1 Like

Qin existed only for a very short time, about 14-15 years. Han existed for about 400 years and chronologically coincided with the prime time of the Roman Empire, that is why they are often compared.

1 Like

Eh? Only one European war, maybe… Meanwhile the Empire reaches its expansionist peak elsewhere.

Eh, Wogs Don’t Count.

2 Likes

Yes, I often do, both Victorian and Gerorgian England. Georgian England was wild and Victorian England was the natural counter balance to that. I’m also a fan of Dickens. Therefore the answer is yes I do.

2 Likes

But what about Edwardian England?

Easy. Wire it to a smoke bomb, then after an hours delay it sets off the dynamite. You get the last smoke and safer demolition.

I will say, that I think about Victorian England more regularly than the Roman Empire.

I don’t know if it’s every day though.

2 Likes