VIDEO: Muslim lesbian woman burns Hijab in protest

UPDATE: Now with video
youtube.com/watch?v=nWLs57qplpw

This woman is a true hero.

csmonitor.com/2009/0320/p07s03-wogn.html
Hijab debate lifts veil on limits of Norway’s tolerance
A Muslim woman’s request to wear a hijab with her police uniform has sparked national controversy.
By Valeria Criscione | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
from the March 20, 2009 edition

E-mail a friend Print this Letter to the Editor Republish ShareThisE-mail newsletters RSS
OSLO - Norway’s biggest headache right now is not the financial crisis. Rather, the predominantly Christian nation is plagued by a religious dilemma over the right of a Muslim woman to wear a hijab as part of her police uniform.

As the controversy has escalated, the country has seen the physical collapse of the justice minister, the public burning of a hijab, and a substantial rise in the popularity of Norway’s anti-immigrant opposition party just six months before general elections.

This is odd for a country known for religious tolerance, generous international development aid, and peace efforts worldwide. But the controversy highlights the latent fears of a nonpluralistic society, where 91 percent belong to the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Norway.

The dilemma began last fall when a Norwegian Muslim woman petitioned for permission to wear her hijab, the traditional head covering for Muslim women, as part of her police uniform. Norway’s justice ministry originally decided in February to allow it, but revoked the permission a few weeks later after loud criticism from the police union, which argued it breached the neutrality of the uniform.

“A change of uniform regulations, with an allowance for covering hair, has never been a goal in itself. It has always been thought of as a possible means to increase the recruitment of police from minority groups in society,” said Justice Minister Knut Storberget, in defense of his decision to revoke the initial permission.

Amid the heightened media attention and political backlash from his flip-flopping, the minister collapsed and subsequently announced a two-week sick leave, which was then extended.

The hijab debacle comes on the back of the minister’s other religious-related political defeat over a now-defunct blasphemy law. Mr. Storberget initially tried to replace the law with a new paragraph that would have protected individuals from defamatory religious statements. But after much political opposition, the law was repealed and no paragraph introduced.

This has provided political fodder for the opposition Progress Party, which has stoked fears among Norwegians over “sneak Islamization.” Progress Party leader Siv Jensen spoke out strongly at the party’s national meeting last month against granting special permission for special groups. She pointed specifically to the case of a largely Muslim neighborhood in Malmö, which she claimed had been partly overrun by Islamic law.

INFLAMED: A Muslim woman in Oslo burned a hijab on International Women’s Day to protest the garment’s symbolism.
AFP/Newscom/FILE

This is the firast time I’ve ever heard of a Mulsim woman burning the hijab. Have there been more?
I don’t like people saying to Norway that they aren’t being “tolerant” enough. That is like someone calkling me a liar after I say i like taiwanese food because I don’t like sytinky tofu.

this is the bottom line…don’t let religion ( by that i mean any religion ) and politics mix…they are a potent combination…

frankly what does the hijab " say " ?? cover up your women so that others will not cast a dirty eye on them?? huh how about educating the others so that they do not treat women as a piece of meat??..everyone has a mother right?? no one dropped out of the sky!!

this is a problem with their thinking and mentality…they have not been taught to look at women as human beings…it is a case of guilty feeling…they know they look at other people’s wives, daughters, sisters with " dirty eyes " and are shit scared that someone else will do the same with their wives, daughters and sisters so what is the quick fix?? get all the women covered up…this way the " men " will not get tempted…what a load of crap!!!