Video of the folding of the US flag

I am not sure if this is the right Forum for posting this question. (But I think that people who have some internet savvy may be able to help me out on this … so here goes … )

Does anyone know where I can link to a Windows Media Video (.wmv) of someone folding the United States flag?

(posted June 14th Flag Day)

what do you need
the webspace or the movie?

I am providing the content for a new website, and we would like to link to an online movie which shows the correct method of folding the US flag.

We would prefer Windows Medial Video format (.wmv), and not something else that requires the downloading of special software.

I had thought that I might be able to find such a “training movie” on a US military website, but I cannot seem to locate one …

very difficult, indeed
if you just open google and enter
" folding the United States flag *.wmv"
the forth link already provides a download of the movie you are looking for

or just try this link
cityofmenasha-wi.gov/content … _Guard.php

I entered the words as you suggested … and you say that the FOURTH LINK has what I need … ??

Sorry … I looked at the third, fourth, and fifth links, but didn’t find anything …

As for the link you mention … alas !!! The fellow has his back to the camera and we cannot clearly see what he is doing …

So, I regret to say this is not clear enough for my Taiwanese friends and associates …

Other suggestions???

Thanks.

ja ja ja
my mistake
skipp the * and google will work for you

If I had a flag, I would make the video for you…but I don’t. I was once a Boy Scout.

If someone can do the video, I can loan you a flag.

Maybe one of these?

brazzilbrief.com/viewtopic.php?t=11112
ushistory.org/betsy/images/foldflag.gif
ehow.com/how_3042_fold-american-flag.html
usflag.org/foldflag.html

I can’t find any .wmv or .swf of it.

While yes, Windows accounts for a majority of computers, I don’t know that I’d recommend wmv. Can anyone else confirm wmv is easily and readily playable under Linux or MacOS? If not, perhaps avi format might be better. mpeg would be even better still I imagine.

Anyway, I found this:
sn005.k12.sd.us/FlagFolding.mov

It’s a 7.5 meg Quicktime though. I’ll see if I can reencode and shrink it for you, then perhaps you could host it yourselves?

Yes, I am just assuming that most users of computers (in Taiwan anyway) have Microsoft based systems, and hence would find it much easier to deal with a “movie file” where they would not have to download any additional software.

Can anyone convert this clip to some sort of Microsofe Media Video compatible format … ??

microsoft.com/windows/window … /0065.aspx but you probably need to use some free tool to convert .mov

IMHO .wmv is adequate. No point in inconveniencing the 95% of your users on windows with downloads, just for the sake of the 2% on mac or 3% on Linux. That said, you might consider finding a flag folding animation in flash format, in theory that could make all users happy.

Take a look at this for hosting the video upload.video.google.com/

You can find other web sites that use video and look at their html to see how to link to the video from your web page, I think its pretty simple.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]

Anyway, I found this:
sn005.k12.sd.us/FlagFolding.mov

It’s a 7.5 meg Quicktime though. I’ll see if I can reencode and shrink it for you, then perhaps you could host it yourselves?[/quote]

Don’t you think you should follow your own advice? Seems to me highly illegal to copy someone’s video, convert it to another format, and then rehost it yourself. Hell, I’m not even sure its 100% legal to link to someone elses video. Though of course it depends on what set of laws (US, Taiwan, Forumosa) we’re trying to obey.

I’ll leave it to Hartzell who is a lawyer.

It’s perfectly legal to link to someone else’s video. The legality of linking has long since been supported by court decisions.

This being said, does anyone know where we can link to a nice clear video of the US flag being folded in the correct manner in .wmv format ??

How about this animated gif?

I got it from this website:
crwflags.com/folding.html

It may not be a video file, but it’s pretty darn clear, IMO.

Indeed, that animated GIF is interesting …

I wonder if anyone knows where I could get a movie of this which would be playable on a computer? (Most users in Taiwan use Microsoft based computers.)

I am providing the content for a new website, and we would like to link to an online movie which shows the correct method of folding the US flag.

We would prefer Windows Medial Video format (.wmv), and not something else that requires the downloading of special software.

I had thought that I might be able to find such a “training movie” on a US military website, but I cannot seem to locate one …

It sounds like you have 2 questions.

1. Where to find the .wmv
  2. How to embed it in the html

for 1. maybe broaden your search to include ceremonies or burials (plenty of those lately, though coffin photos are now censored) where the flag folding was part of the overall event.

for 2. just look through other web sites that embed video and find one that does what you like, then “view source” and examine their html.

It sounds like you don’t need it, but for example Forumosa’s hosting provider probably has statistics about which browsers are visiting Forumosa, this would confirm your idea of simply using .wmv. Though you may want to stick to .wmv 8 not 9, I bet many of those Microsoft using visitors may be on windows 98 or 2000. Possible that the stats would give you a cut at that too. I still think flash animations are arguable. Again, what do other sites do… generally there is a reason or best practice, and no need to try to invent a new wheel.

It does look like most of the flag folding videos are done in .mov probably due to the predominace of apple computers in the k-12 education system. Students can download quicktime for free from apple.com. or if they are too lazy you could convert the file for them.

Windows mediaplayer of course plays .mpg, .wmv, .avi, .mpeg, etc. files too. so maybe you could use one of those. I admit the .avi flag folding videos don

Sorry, I didn’t see your post on the second page. I wouldn’t rip anything for a .gov or a .mil site. I would probably go with the .gif file. I think that is the clearest and take the least amount of space. You could also include a description of the meaning of each fold. (angelfire.com/ga3/sweetgeorg … aning.html)