Video rendering hell

I have been sitting here, almost going out of my mind over the past two days, trying for the life of me to get a &£@@*!!(*^ing, %^@(@*@(@ing, (£^@)%&£ing video onto youtube.

I hate putting videos on line. Its always been my absolute worst nightmare. Anyone who can help, can immensely improve my relationship with my family.

I have a video which has the following attributes:

Length: 34 minutes, 52 seconds
Type: Mp4 format
Height and Width: How the hell do I know? It was rendered from iMovie

I know as much as it needs to be cut up. I know Premiere fairly well, but for some reason I lose the bottom 1cm off the frame after rendering.
Even after chopping it with the 1cm missing off the frame, youtube just tells me that its starting to upload…forever…and…ever…and…ever…and then of course never does actually start.
I have tried rendering into a smaller format i.e. Divx, but it makes the music backing choppy, so I’m not happy with that either.

I’m not happy with any single part of the process…

Even bloody iMovie fails to save my video editing, so every single time I restart the program it has stepped back about a dozen edits and I have to start all over again.

Well I figure I have a reasonable travel video of Taiwan that I wished to share with everyone and embed it into my site, but it seems its never going to happen without some sort of divine intervention. Or perhaps a smart-arse from forumosa.

Any clever clogs out there who fancy a dabble?

Will it play in Quicktime?

Yes.

YouTube limits uploads to 10 mins. You’ve got to divide you movie into 4 parts. Easier in iMovie (if you’re not having issues with it).

This is an easy but ugly method, just to get it done.

Open your movie in Quicktime.
Save it again, UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-all.
Close the original. Open Movie-all.
Under Edit, goto Trim.
Select the first 9 minutes. Cut the rest, save UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-1.
Re-open Movie-all.
Select the second 9 minutes. Cut the rest, save UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-2.
Repeat twice more.

That ought to do it.

What machine is this? How much ram do you have and what is your hard drive speed (rpm)?

One way to make your editing easier if iMovie/Premiere are acting up is to downsample the movie before you go into editing.

Also how much hard drive space do you have free? Defragmenting is mostly in the past now with mac OS but things can get hairy if you are running out of room.

Edit: Double post

Standard Mac MOV files work fine with Youtube, but as Jaboney mentioned, Youtube videos are limited to about 10 minutes per clip unless you have a special account with them that you only get by submitting popular videos on a regular basis.

If the move is standard definition, then the size is going to be 720x480 (if it’s PAL, then it’s 768x576), but if it’s HD then it’s either 1280x720, 1440x1080 or 1920x1080. It could of course be lower resolution as well depending on what you shot the video with.

Either format should work just fine, I upload 1280x720 videos that are ~200MB in size no problem, but they’re not over 10 minutes in length. Also, how fast is the upload speed on your internet connection? As if you have really slow upload speed, then it’ll take forever to upload.

[quote=“Jaboney”]YouTube limits uploads to 10 mins. You’ve got to divide you movie into 4 parts. Easier in iMovie (if you’re not having issues with it).

This is an easy but ugly method, just to get it done.

Open your movie in Quicktime.
Save it again, UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-all.
Close the original. Open Movie-all.
Under Edit, goto Trim.
Select the first 9 minutes. Cut the rest, save UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-1.
Re-open Movie-all.
Select the second 9 minutes. Cut the rest, save UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME: Movie-2.
Repeat twice more.

That ought to do it.[/quote]

I think you have just saved my sanity. I’m still a little suspicious though. It surely can’t be this simple. I’m adjusting the aspect and I’ll see if it goes up ‘wide’.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yes, I knew about the ten minute, 2G limit and had divided it up. I had originally chopped it in Premiere, but the Quicktime works a treat. I got the first test section up and working. :slight_smile:

Good news. Glad it worked.
Hope you figure out what’s up with iMovie: it should be the easiest way to go.

Thanks everyone. I got the video up as well as the article. Give it a blast and let me know what you think.

actaiwan.com/around_taiwan.php