Vietnam, laos, cambodia, phillipines?

me and my girlfriend went to ko pha ngan last year and can’t decide where to go for our next holiday. from what I’ve heard Cambodia is too much like Thailand and there are still dangers travelling Laos. so basically we have to decide between Vietnam and the phillipines. we pretty much want to spend nearly all our time partying on a beach like we did in Thailand, but still do some bundu-bashing in the jungles.

has anyone got any info that might help?

A Filipino nurse that I work with just warned me of the dangers in traveling to the beaches in the Philipines–decapitations of turists were reported. Perhaps best to avoid for the time being.

[quote=“bobbe”]me and my girlfriend went to ko pha ngan last year and can’t decide where to go for our next holiday. from what I’ve heard Cambodia is too much like Thailand and there are still dangers travelling Laos. so basically we have to decide between Vietnam and the phillipines. we pretty much want to spend nearly all our time partying on a beach like we did in Thailand, but still do some bundu-bashing in the jungles.

has anyone got any info that might help?[/quote]

Cambodia too much like Thailand? Whoever told you that is clueless. Thailand is a comfortable, easy tourist mecca; Cambodia is a troubled land full of land mines, leftover ordnance, amputees, orphans and citizens emotionally battered from years of war and inhumanity. Thailand never suffered through all of that. True, there are similarities. Both countries have beautiful beaches and brown-skinned natives. In both countries one can easily buy sex or drugs if that’s what you’re interested in. If you’re worried about dangers in Laos, you should really worry about them in Cambodia. Cambodia is a very interesting place to visit, and carries the thrill of danger, but if you’re looking for easy parties go to Thailand instead.

Laos is not dangerous, but neither is it a land of parties like Thailand. It is a beautiful, peaceful country though, with better (though less ostentatious) temples than Thailand, the beautiful Mekong river to travel on and very kind, laid back people. Great place to visit for beauty, relaxation and contemplation, but not exactly a party place.

Vietnam is oh so beautiful. I fully understand why the French didn’t want to leave. The scenery, the women, the food, all are great, from the mountains of the north to hte delta in the south. Look up some of the other threads on the subject – I think you’ll find that many people are swept away by the beauty of Vietnam. It’s a very long country, though, from north to south, so unless you’ve got a month or more, pick either the north or south, but not both.

Philippines, I’ve got less experience with, but if you want nice beaches, it’s definitely a great choice, although I was a little nervous about being kidnapped and beheaded. As long as one stays off of Basilan, though, that’s probably not a serious threat.

They’re all great countries, all worth visiting, but if you’re looking for nice, easy parties and relaxation on the beach, I’d say go back to Thailand again. It’s hard to find a more tourist friendly place. But maybe pick a different location this time.

Just my two cents.

Boracay Island in the Philippines is a big party. But, people there weren’t really dancing much. It was more like a big drunken mingle. The top 40 was palyed everywhere and so was some litgh techno.

It was the BEST beach I have ever seen. The sunset was spectacular EVERY night. The beer was cheaper than water. 2 thumbs UP! I wish I was still there!

The White Beach in Boracay (Philippines) is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Partying and dancing is up to yourself. Why not arrange a beach party! Everybody will join. My wife is from Philippines so it’s quite easy to arrange anything for us but Filipinos are, according to me, very easy going people. No fancy clubs and discos but I like the athmosphere in Boracay. Go out snorkling. A boat for a day cost hardly anything! I will go there again next summer.
Boracay is far from the dangerous areas in Philippines. I’ve been also to the south of Philippines and there I felt somewhat unsecure. Main rule, be nice to people and they will be nice to you.