View new posts view

That gives us something to think about. But it isn’t the same: these ads (down the right margin) encourage us to put full headlines and a small blurb to explain - all of which would be controlled by the person who advertises on Taiwanted

The previous style, with the 4 main category blocks, only showed headlines (advert titles), and, even then, we didn’t control the length/size of the headlines, so the 4 lists were rarely the same length.

Down the side, a long column of Taiwanted ads could mean we have a lot of white space below the list of threads (on the left, above the Sitemap). I am thinking of filling them with something (help guides or faq excerpts, maybe). Plus, we can control - to some extent - how many ads for each list

Placing ads - relevant ads, because different forums will show different Taiwanted ads - in Forumosa is not casual decision. It isn’t just some cool new trick. From my perspective, exposure on Forumosa is one of the key differences Taiwanted will have over Tealit.

I must admit, Gus and Sandman, and others, that i don’t actually see ANY ads on the “view new posts” page, or pretty much anywhere. sorry to lose you all that revenue, but using the Silver version of the website software (change on the user control panel, Sandman) with Firefox on a Mac has completely lost them.

actually, silver has its own bug where there is no visible link for “view new posts”, but i just hit my link in the bookmarks bar to refresh that view.

you all really wanted to know all of that, i am sure.

Please, please, please can the ads expand further to cover some of the drivel that sandman and his ilk waste our bandwidth with, but squeeze them back over to the right when I utter something profound like I often do?

I don’t see any problems with the new format.

[quote=“urodacus”]I must admit, Gus and Sandman, and others, that I don’t actually see ANY ads on the “view new posts” page, or pretty much anywhere. sorry to lose you all that revenue, but using the Silver version of the website software (change on the user control panel, Sandman) with Firefox on a Mac has completely lost them.

actually, silver has its own bug where there is no visible link for “view new posts”, but i just hit my link in the bookmarks bar to refresh that view.

you all really wanted to know all of that, I am sure.[/quote]

Of course, you’re right, the silver view eliminates them, but, as noted, has its own problems.
In fact, when I got home yesterday to my wide-aspect monitor, the problem was much less pronounced, with the extra column width given to the subject lines.
It’s just on the more square monitor that it’s obtrusive.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“urodacus”]I must admit, Gus and Sandman, and others, that I don’t actually see ANY ads on the “view new posts” page, or pretty much anywhere. sorry to lose you all that revenue, but using the Silver version of the website software (change on the user control panel, Sandman) with Firefox on a Mac has completely lost them.

Of course, you’re right, the silver view eliminates them, but, as noted, has its own problems.
In fact, when I got home yesterday to my wide-aspect monitor, the problem was much less pronounced, with the extra column width given to the subject lines.
It’s just on the more square monitor that it’s obtrusive.[/quote]

Right, like now I’m back at work
with the square resolution mon-
itor, and just like Snadman
said, the display is divided in half,
and all the post information is
squeezed into the left side half,
like this, and it’s really fucking an-
noying to try and read anything
at all. And I really don’t like the
silver view.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“urodacus”]I must admit, Gus and Sandman, and others, that I don’t actually see ANY ads on the “view new posts” page, or pretty much anywhere. sorry to lose you all that revenue, but using the Silver version of the website software (change on the user control panel, Sandman) with Firefox on a Mac has completely lost them.

It’s just on the more square monitor that it’s obtrusive.[/quote]

Right, like now I’m back at work
with the square resolution mon-
itor, and just like Snadman
said, the display is divided in half,
and all the post information is
squeezed into the left side half,
like this, and it’s really fucking an-
noying to try and read anything
at all. And I really don’t like the
silver view.[/quote]

I am having the same problem,
using the Forumosa board style.

It is really quite annoying. I
can understand that you
might want the ads to be
on the right side, but it really
makes the “Active Topics”
screen uncomfortable to
read.

Also, the big Forumosa
ad or Taiwanted ad
appears as a huge, imposing
blockat the top of
the column.

Could you please fix this?
Or change the size of this
column? Must it take up
half the page in the
“Active Topics” screen?

And I know I can change
to “Silver” but I checked
it out and didn’t really
like it.

Thanks for the help.

[quote=“fee”]
I am having the same problem,
using the Forumosa board style.

It is really quite annoying. I
can understand that you
might want the ads to be
on the right side, but it really
makes the “Active Topics”
screen uncomfortable to
read.

Also, the big Forumosa
ad or Taiwanted ad
appears as a huge, imposing
blockat the top of
the column.

Could you please fix this?
Or change the size of this
column? Must it take up
half the page in the
“Active Topics” screen?

And I know I can change
to “Silver” but I checked
it out and didn’t really
like it.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]
fee, do you recognize that I did not intend to take up the majority of space on the Active Topics page with ads? And that doing so would be counter-productive to the kind of website that we’ve wanted Forumosa to be these past 10 years?

Do you remember that Forumosa has always been and will always be a technical work in progress? And that maybe - just maybe - the problem is not only with the code I have put in place, but with your own set up? I realize that my code is buggy - which partly explains why no one pays me to write code. But your post tells me extremely little

Give me something I can work with like what browser you are using, in what operating system and with what monitor resolution. And if you can send me a screenshot - to admin@ - that would be super. It would also be nice to know if you are using an ad blocker, since that may be interfering with the code that it leaves behind (although you have already pointed out that you could see the huge, imposting block at the top). Part of me hopes that is the case, because if it is, then you are on your own with that one :s

As hard as it might be for you to believe, I would like to fix the situation. But frankly, I’m looking at the website from my 4 kinds of browsers in Windows in my little eeePC, Safari on a Mac, my iPod, and my Nokia phone, and I just don’t see what you see. I do not doubt that you are having a problem, and I wish you didn’t have it - but I am starting to wonder if the problem is only on my end :ponder:

If you don’t want to post here your computer set up, PM me or email me

Here’s how mine looks on Firefox on a 1024x768 non-widescreen monitor.

Perhaps others could compare their view to mine.

P.S. The Forumosa Friends pics don’t fit the width of the page and one is forced onto the line below.

I’ve added a new posts link, as well as an active topics link, to the top of the prosilver template. These links are actually found on the index page, just above where all the forums are listed

I don’t see the ads at all but two solutions that work for me:

1. I’m using Adblock with Firefox and the ads don’t show.

2. Zoom in on the page (ctrl+mouse wheel) so only the post text shows and the ads are off the right edge of the screen.

:idunno:

[quote=“elektronisk”]I don’t see the ads at all but two solutions that work for me:

2. Zoom in on the page (ctrl+mouse wheel) so only the post text shows and the ads are off the right edge of the screen.

:idunno:[/quote]

Actually the crtl-mousewheel zoom thing sort of has the opposite effect to what you would want. As the text increases, so does the ad size, thus making it worse (there is no option to scroll right/left). If you zoom the other way, the ad gets smaller, but the text becomes unreadable.

And actually, I just checked and I had in fact zoomed in a little bit on the text already (so my screen shot is perhaps a little misleading). I suspect those who are having the biggest problems have done the same. I just found that the standard text size was unreadable, and I’m not even an old bastard with shite eyesight.

Of course this unreadable text on the latest posts page has already been discussed.

[quote=“elektronisk”]I don’t see the ads at all but two solutions that work for me:

:idunno:[/quote]
Oh well, so much for my hypothesis that the Ad Blocker in FF was causing a problem for some people

When you say “ads” are you referring to the graphic banners, the text ads, or both? Sounds like you are only referring to the graphic banners. I do not use an ad blocker, but I suspect it would only affect the graphic banners - the way I bring in the classified ads (text ads) is as if they are code that is “included” in. If you take a look at the source, you will see that the text ads are bounded by XML tags - that’s wrong, but I’ll go back to clean that up another time. Maybe if I fix that, it will help the chief, sandman and fee - and I couldn’t explain why

Goose Egg,

As requested I’ve sent you a PM with a screen shot (I hope) and my computer set-up details.

And, as I mentioned in the PM, I’m sorry if I came across as negative in my posts in this thread. I do indeed understand that you are working hard to come up with a solution or work-around for this.

So, thank you again for taking care of the tech side of Forumosa. I hope that this feedback will help you out.

fee

Three cheers for the Goose! Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah!

i can see a new ‘new’ button now. thanks.

And another three cheers for Goose Egg!

The column on the righ-hand side of the Active Topics page is now considerably smaller. The ads can still be read (and noticed), but they don’t take up as much of the page now.

So, thank you for responding to our feedback. We appreciate your efforts.

Huzzah x 3!!! :bravo:

When they were in a box at the bottom I could instantly scan all 40 or so to see if anything interested me. But now they’re in a single column with a big gap in between (body text, blank lines, spacers) I have to make an effort to read each one. I can scan the new posts themselves with a quick scroll because they are close together. But the Taiwanted links are more spaced out, with variable spacing, so my brain has to re-target for each one. Does that make sense?

Just my US$20,000, others may prefer the current way. It’s also more visible.

Sorry to be a pain, but the “Active Topics” screen and the “Own” posts screen are back to being squashed over because of the Taiwanted ad banner running down the right-hand side.

Again, I am running IE. My screen looks much the same as it did a few months ago (the last time I complained :blush: ).

In any case, I hope that this feedback helps. I began to notice the problem last night, and then again today.

If you want, I can PM or e-mail screen shots to Gus.

If it helps, I noticed that the text from one of the ads seemed to be stretching out the ad columns. Also, the pictures in the ads seem to have grown again. Finally, there is a blank white column to the far right–so my screen goes half a page of active topics, then the ads pushed over the left against the list of topics, and then a blank white column.

Thanks for the help, Goose egg and tech staff.

This is the ad that is stretching the ad column out.

Items for Sale TV, Exercise Machine, Hifi,
geocities.com/trevoraisa2003 … erock.html

Sagem x- 8
Very cool phone and music player with a powerful camera, com