Vigilantism

[quote=“Leviathan22”]IMHO, people are just too relax here when other drivers threaten their lives or put them at risk. That’s a big part of the problem, and is solved through some basic education.

Try to cut a pedestrian way on a crossing in Europe… Bang, dent in your rear door. Cut the way of a motorbike… Bang, one side mirror down. Overtake everybody at a traffic light or on a jam using the emergency lane… That’s for sure a tough explanation with the guy you’ll cut. At best. Take half an hour to park your stuff in a busy road… People will come over (after generous horning) to “help”.

Might be a bit savage, but it does work. Drivers in Europe are much more carefull about their surroundings - Simply because mistakes, selfish dangerous behaviour or total uncompetence, is paid cash.

I applied that while I was riding - I can’t count the number of side mirrors I did destroy. While I was driving a rented car - had to redo the front aisles every six month. Now that I have my own car, I still can offer some education on the pedestrian crossings - The big “bang” and dent that a knee is making in the rear door of a yellow shit cutting my way is really a lovely sound :slight_smile:

Lev[/quote]

not saying i disagree with you, but you should ready yourself for at best a baseball bat wielding maniac, and at worst ten of the same if you keep at it. because laws aren’t enforced, there’s no shame in breaking them. while we’d like to think otherwise, the only thing you are doing is pissing the lousy drivers off, NOT teaching them anything.

just as likely that they find some other foreigner and take a bat to him …

Comm’on it, boy!! So far, so good. Each single jerk I hit (racing gloves on bike, front aisles with cars, knees walking) absolutely knew he was 100% wrong. I NEVER had any issue of that kind in 10 years of “education” in Asia. And if one day I do, I’m pretty prepared for it :wink: Frankly speaking - but don’t repeat it, I’ll look like a bad boy - I think I’d enjoy it…

Could be, indeed. But it 's fun and makes me feel better for (a very short) while :smiley:

[quote]
just as likely that they find some other foreigner and take a bat to him …[/quote]

Yup… And I’m really sorry for them. Unless they can show taht foreigners are not tender meat. Otherwise, living on your knees, you’ll end up sucking dicks :wink:

Lev - And, yes, I’m an asshole.

i’d be interested to know how you’ll protect yourself against 10+ guys with pipes and bats. or exactly what you’ll do when someone walks up behind you and smacks a homer (been here a while as well and seen both).

as i’ve said before, i’ve also tried to “educate” more than a few assholes here. but you have to a) pick your spots and b) think about what you’re really going to accomplish.

I’m becoming Taiwanese in a way - Very brave when there’s no danger.
In the first place, I would’nt try to “educate” them. If I make a mistake one day - it could perfectly happen - I’ll run… If I can’t run, err…

Never turning my back on a jerk. Couldn’t happen.

That’s the key - Avoid anything big and black, or tuned. Educate the Cefiro, the Camri, or other pieces of shits that the jerks dreaming of a merc but not having the cash for are driving here. That’s already plenty of work.

As stated - Not much, obviously.

Lev[/quote]

And who care?

I allways try to take out there mirror and I allways place my weels slightly over the withe line when someone try to overtake on the shoulder.

It make me feel bether and there honking make me laught.
I feel bored after driving Loudong-Taipei 2 times a day.

After driving here for 18 months, I decided to put a baseball bat in my car.
Only because I totally had it with some jerks on the road. Aware that i will not change the world, I will god damn fight from now on for my RIGHTS, being a foreigner or local does not make a difference.
The next fucked up driver who pisses me off will get his pay. Check the Apple daily from time to time, I am pretty sure i will be in it one day.
Am I loosing it? might be, but I do not surrender and put myself in a corner only “because” this is Taiwan…

Probably not a bad idea… Dangerous, too. Is it allowed - I mean, by law?

Nobody allows that - Or the pedestrian crossings would just be meaningless.

Good memories of a friend running after a cab and really beating the shit out of the driver at a traffic light in Warner, some time ago. The mother fucker did cut his way on a pedestrian crossing - as they usually do - and hit his arm with the side mirror. My friend was carrying his baby, which made him a bit more reactive than usual… Bloody, but quite fun.

I always stop at these crossings and let pedestrians go first - Funny to see the taiwanese behind horning or trying to overtake…

lev

Probably not a bad idea… Dangerous, too. Is it allowed - I mean, by law?
lev[/quote]

hey, how do you think you can get to the field to practice baseball anyway? for sure it is allowed. I do wonder of my version with sharp spikes is… :s

I would like to know if it is allowed to walk on the street with it as I also have enough of fucking twits not making a bit of way while punching my shoulder each time. Guess I am starting to loose it :s

Probably not a bad idea… Dangerous, too. Is it allowed - I mean, by law?[/quote]AFAIK, it is ok. I know a really mild-mannered guy who has one in his car, said it was there in case his car caught fire or went into a river, the electrical system died and trapped him in the car. Sounds like a good excuse to me. [color=green]If you guys want to start a new thread on vigilantism or merge with another existing one, it’s fine by me. Otherwise, back on topic please. :wink:[/color]

I also predict that this current crackdown is aimed solely at 1) appeasing the clamor for ‘doing something’ after Jason Who?'s wife was injured and 2) the usual pre-CNY fill-the-hongbaos drive. After CNY, anarchy as usual.

[quote=“xtrain”]i’d be interested to know how you’ll protect yourself against 10+ guys with pipes and bats. or exactly what you’ll do when someone walks up behind you and smacks a homer (been here a while as well and seen both).

as i’ve said before, i’ve also tried to “educate” more than a few assholes here. but you have to a) pick your spots and b) think about what you’re really going to accomplish.[/quote]

Pretty neat trick that, fitting 10+ guys into a sedan. I shoot my mouth off all the time when anyone does something stupid (about 50 times a day) and what annoys me is that I’ve never had any response whatsoever. After all the stories I heard I was worried about leaving my house at all anywhere south of Taipei - until I realised that it’s mostly Hot Air And Bullshit.

I don’t see it being particularly wrong or dangerous to take someone on when they act like a selfish prick - if anything it’s probably safer than most places since the average Taiwanese driver is a total wuss who only turns into a hard ass when he’s behind two tons of steel.

[quote=“llary”]I don’t see it being particularly wrong or dangerous to take someone on when they act like a selfish prick - if anything it’s probably safer than most places since the average Taiwanese driver is a total wuss who only turns into a hard ass when he’s behind two tons of steel.[/quote]I got beat up today by a girl who I slapped after she hit me. And now I’m the one getting sued…

So the “police” refuse to help, and now we can’t help ourselves…

Bloody hell BFM! There’s a story in there somewhere but I’ll understand if you don’t want to elaborate.

1 - You were not drunk, or started attacking the beer surprisingly early today. That’s bad.

2 - My mum always told me “never ever hit a girl, even with a rose”. Err… Yes, mum. Even the bitches? Yup, son. Even the bitches. Unless they demand it, but that’s a different story.

3 - What did you do to end up hit by a girl here?!? Flirting with her boyfriend? Insulting her Hello Kitty? Changing her handphone ringtone?

Girls have no f&*$ sense of humor around here. But I guess you’re not risking much. Sexual assault would have been more ennoying. I got 2 friends who were deported from Singapore for that. “assaulting” a bitch they never touched…

Good luck.

Lev.

[quote=“llary”][quote=“xtrain”]i’d be interested to know how you’ll protect yourself against 10+ guys with pipes and bats. or exactly what you’ll do when someone walks up behind you and smacks a homer (been here a while as well and seen both).

as i’ve said before, i’ve also tried to “educate” more than a few assholes here. but you have to a) pick your spots and b) think about what you’re really going to accomplish.[/quote]

Pretty neat trick that, fitting 10+ guys into a sedan. I shoot my mouth off all the time when anyone does something stupid (about 50 times a day) and what annoys me is that I’ve never had any response whatsoever. After all the stories I heard I was worried about leaving my house at all anywhere south of Taipei - until I realised that it’s mostly Hot Air And Bullshit.

I don’t see it being particularly wrong or dangerous to take someone on when they act like a selfish prick - if anything it’s probably safer than most places since the average Taiwanese driver is a total wuss who only turns into a hard ass when he’s behind two tons of steel.[/quote]

wow - can’t believe you’ve not once seen a convoy of cars/scooters full of young guys that cruise up and down the freeways/expressways/streets here. often pit stop under the overpasses. maybe you should clean that camera.

cell phones are another way that odds change.

that said, i’ve nowhere stated that this will/does happen all or even most of the time. but good luck to you when it does …

Carrying a weapon is stupid unless you’re prepared to actually use it, maim or kill someone and suffer the consequences, whether they deserve it or not.

What are you going to do, bash someones brains in because they are inconsiderate and cut you off in traffic?

Get a grip.

If you find yourself in need of a weapon because of all the people that are constantly attacking you, I would consider another mode of transport. If you are carrying a weapon because you are secretly hoping you will get to use it someday, maybe you should rethink that strategy.

There are lots of alternatives. Anger management. Self defense training. Not driving. Live somewhere else. Millions of people get around quite well without getting into fights.

I’m not saying I don’t appreciate it when I hear of somebody getting what’s coming for them, but jeeze!

Life is a phantasmagoria of tribulations…
and then you die.
But it’s okay … we all do.

I’d suggest a two-foot length of inch-thick rubber pipe. Light, convenient, legal, straps easily over the gas tank of a bike, hurts like you wouldn’t believe when you whip people in the face with it, and is unlikely to cause serious long term damage.

Alternatively, Zen meditation.

Incidentally I have this image in my head now of some guy coming at you with a baseball bat and you pulling out another one. What are you gonna do, fence with them? :wink:

My feeling is that if you end up in a fight, you’re in a deep shit. Unless you’re a kind of special walking lethal weapon, MMA expert, Vale Tudo black belt, or running the 5km in less than 10 minutes.

Two main reasons:

• If in Europe a fight usually stops at first blood or when one of the opponent gives up or is down, it does not seem to be the case here. It’s more a “finish him” kind of stuff, with whatever the guys can use - Beer bottle (painfull), chairs, rods, whatever, you name it. The shame for the winners being to show some kind of mercy, you’re really at risk once down. A contrario, the ten against one “fight” is not a shame. Efficiency matters, not style.

• Taiwanese being pretty brave when there’s no danger, you can be certain that if you end up in a fight, your opponent does have serious backup. The guy wouldn’t go on a 1-to-1 bare hands just to see how it goes. Serious backup meaning a special training (not likely, and the best case), a baseball bat (more likely, and more painfull), or 10 buddies loaded with binlang (very likely, and very painfull, at best).

Bottom line, choose carefully your targets for education purpose, and avoid a fight - at all costs…

Lev.

because Taiwanese beeing very brave when there’s no danger,

I carry a 5 iron in my car. Longer reach than a bat, hurts more, and is light enough to engage multiple targets. :wink: In 9 cases out of 10, your target will probably not put up a fight but in that 1 case, you best run because he/she probably has a car full of goons or has backup nearby. I have NEVER seen a one on one fight here in Taiwan. Every fight is a melee where people don’t even know who is on who’s side anymore.

One very, very, very important (did I say very?) tip is NOT to fight if the vehicle you are driving is registered to your name. It’s very easy to find out where you live if they get your license plate number. I drive a company car which is rented so it’s practically untraceable. So before anyone decides on a vigilante career, consider the possibilities of bad things happening not only to yourself but to those around you.

How?

I would like to know this :fume: