Virtual server questions

I’m thinking about upgrading to a virtual server for couple of sites I have but was wondering if 256 MB RAM would be enough.

My hosts are Network Redux out of Portland and they seem to have a decent rate.

Storage —10 GB
Memory —256 MB
Bandwidth --100 GB
Per Month–$19
Per Year----$180 ($15/Mo.)

I could get 1 GB of RAM, but it’s $50/month and really seems like it would be overkill for sites that don’t receive a lot of traffic.

I do like the fact that I’d have root access to install and configure stuff, but if there’s not a huge performance increase I think staying on shared hosting is fine.

Anyone out there have experience using Virtual Servers?

250mb RAM is fine, but 10gb storage could be a little low – remember that it includes the operating system and such.

I’m a big fan of Tummy – fair prices, awesome uptime, and first-rate support.

Just hope you don’t get on Digg. My site was using well over 600mb RAM a couple of weeks ago, and brought a few other sites down with it.

[quote=“Brendon”]250mb RAM is fine, but 10gb storage could be a little low – remember that it includes the operating system and such.

I’m a big fan of Tummy – fair prices, awesome uptime, and first-rate support.[/quote]

Cheers, thanks for the info. Gave them a look and pretty comparable to what I’m looking at now.

I’ve heard of the Digg curse before. Some hosts just turn you off if you’re on a shared hosting acct.

How about cloud hosting? A friend pointed out Mosso by Rackspace to me. He says it never goes down and it’s fast and accessible from anywhere. But at $100/month it sure is pricey.

What are you trying to do?

If you’re just having a little private site that uses just HTML and a few server side stuff then a shared host is enough, hell even free ones will work. Same with trying to start another web forum like forumosa.

If you are intending to do a high traffic site or site with high CPU usage (like online game servers) then a dedicated server or co-hosted solution is the only way to go… Co hosting is where you make the server and install whatever software packages on it then send it to a datacenter where they connect it to the internet. Anything that involves high bandwidth or high CPU usage will get you kicked off any shared host.

You could start your own server and put it up on a FTTB connection (assuming it’s available) but if you’re not good with security and stuff (some hackers will use your server as a node for mass emails, you are guaranteed to have the ISP kick you off for this!) then you should leave this to someone who knows what they are doing (co-hosting).

Yeah. Managing your own server isn’t as simple as using a shared hosting system.

Care to recommend any good co-hosts?

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Yeah. Managing your own server isn’t as simple as using a shared hosting system.

Care to recommend any good co-hosts?

Kenneth[/quote]

Here is an example of one: http://www.hostplan.com.au/content/?id=3

If you are going to co host be sure of the location of the host (this is dependent on the location of the majority of your audiences) as well as your location as in if you’re able to go there and fix things in case something doesn’t go the way you want it. Co hosting is basically sending them your server so you’re trusting them with an expensive piece of equipment (a server is NOT your average desktop) and trusting that they will keep it running at all times. This is where you get what you paid for applies. If you really don’t know how to manage the server go with the more expensive managed solution. Be prepared to spend a lot of money so if this is just a hobby you might want to give it serious consideration. Most guys host private game servers in their home or dorm with a fiber connection or even ADSL but you still gotta be good with securing your server and keeping hackers off your back. Don’t expect reliability if you intend to host your own home server on an ADSL. Many packages I have seen start at around $300 US a month and this is for 1U rack space and unmanaged solution. I expect a dedicated server will cost more. It looks like with what the OP is trying to do he is better off with a normal shared hosting account. You still get a www.whatever.com name and no one else will be able to know it’s on a shared host. You really don’t need a virtual server or semi dedicated or whatever unless you plan on using a LOT of CPU time.