Visa-exempt entry and round-trip ticket?

PLEASE GO EASY ON ME IF I’VE MADE SOME KIND OF FORUMOSA FAUX PAS BY POSTING THIS TOPIC HERE…

So it looks like I’ve secured a job at a private school in Taichung while living here in California. I plan on entering Taiwan with my U.S. passport. I know I am eligible to stay for up to 90 days this way. Shortly after I arrive, my school is going to begin the work permit process.

My question is: since I will have to already have a plane ticket back to the U.S. in hand in order to be eligible for the visa-free stay (is it even considered a visa-free stay, do I need to apply for a visitor’s visa?), what do I do with the ticket for the ride back, since I will obviously not be using it? I do plan on going back to the U.S., but only after the school year is over.

I really just want to know how I can convert this plane ticket to some sort of credit towards a return plane ticket back home to the U.S. for some future point in time. (I know this sentence sucks.)

Thank you!

Don’t buy a round trip ticket to the US. buy a one way ticket US to Taipei and then buy a refundable one way ticket to HK from Taiwan. It’s cheaper this way.

Great advice, thanks! Could you or someone else clear up the steps that take place up until I receive my ARC?

Do I need to get a visitor’s visa or do I go straight from getting the work permit to getting the resident visa to getting the ARC?

you don’t really need a visitors visa and can enter on visa exempt (90 days). In the end though you will pay about 10,000NT for your resident visa if you don’t have a visitor visa. Usually they are about 5000NT each.