Visa-exempt stay=>student visa


I’m enrolling at a university in Taichung this September. I’d like to know if it’s possible to fly there on a visa-exempt entry (I have 90 days) then apply for a student visa there. The straightforward way, of course, is to apply for a student visa here in Japan before going there but it’s considerably cheaper getting a health certificate that’s required to apply for a student visa there than in Japan.

According to the MOFA website, visa-exempt entry can’t be converted to other types of visas except for work permit. … e=116&mp=2
However, the page is dated 2005 and I’m not sure if this is still the case.

Has anyone tried getting a student visa in Taiwan on a visa-exempt entry?