Visa Extension Crack-Down!

one word…wanker…[/quote]

It’s not what he said, it’s how he said it.[/quote]

Then how should he have written it? Was there no truth in anything he wrote?

I was informed by someone who goes to one of the schools where you don’t have to attend, that the ministry (of what I don’t know)is stopping visa extensions from april 1st 2006.

The police station is giving out leaflets stating this will come in effect.

[quote=“cake”] I was informed by someone who goes to one of the schools where you don’t have to attend, that the ministry (of what I don’t know)is stopping visa extensions from April 1st 2006.

The police station is giving out leaflets stating this will come in effect.[/quote]

Perhaps this is the reason for the crackdown. Schools selling of places for non existant students who then use their visa’s to go off teaching or other things.

Australia closed the schools that did this to allow so called students to illegally work in Australia. Thats right guys, many of the ethnics are illegal here, sad but true.

Unfortunately all it does is harm to genuine students who now need to move into a university program to continue studying here.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“cake”] I was informed by someone who goes to one of the schools where you don’t have to attend, that the ministry (of what I don’t know)is stopping visa extensions from April 1st 2006.

The police station is giving out leaflets stating this will come in effect.[/quote]

Perhaps this is the reason for the crackdown. Schools selling of places for non existant students who then use their visa’s to go off teaching or other things.

Australia closed the schools that did this to allow so called students to illegally work in Australia. Thats right guys, many of the ethnics are illegal here, sad but true.

Unfortunately all it does is harm to genuine students who now need to move into a university program to continue studying here.[/quote]

If your from New Z or Australia there is a new 12 month visa (working holiday) there are some restrictions but I’ve found they don’t really check up on them…

workingholidaytaiwan.org.tw/

I had this visa for this year and there are very few hassles…working no problems, they say 3 months in one place but no one checks…as for study I’m not sure…

[quote=“cake”]I was informed by someone who goes to one of the schools where you don’t have to attend, that the ministry (of what I don’t know)is stopping visa extensions from April 1st 2006.

I’m confused. Does that mean that one can currently (before April 1st) acquire a visa extention by attending a non-university language school? I was a full time student at TLI from April to Nov and through my last extension in October it wasn’t a problem. I’m planning to sign up again starting January and was counting on those visa extensions.

I really like the methodology and text books at TLI and will be extremely dissappointed if I have to change to University classes. University = big classes, teacher centric teaching, and heavy emphasis on writing characters. :frowning:
I like TLI because classes are small and my listening, speaking and reading skills improved dramatically during my study there. I’ve done University before and they are so anal about making sure students can write characters from memory that it slows the learning process waaay down!

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“cake”]I was informed by someone who goes to one of the schools where you don’t have to attend, that the ministry (of what I don’t know)is stopping visa extensions from April 1st 2006.

I’m confused. Does that mean that one can currently (before April 1st) acquire a visa extention by attending a non-university language school? I was a full time student at TLI from April to Nov and through my last extension in October it wasn’t a problem. I’m planning to sign up again starting January and was counting on those visa extensions. [/quote]

According to the note you will be OK extending until April 1st 2006.

There will be no visa extensions allowed after that date for students at the Chinese Language Development Association, Chinese Langauge Institution of ROC, and Taipei Language Institute.

If you sign up in Jan you will only have feb and march for available extensions.

Best to ask at your school. I know the CLI are informing their students of this change.

The only way one can study after april 1st and extend their visa will be through one of the ‘legal institutes’
The note included two websites, to check for 'legal institutes:

edu.tw/eduweb/edumgt/bicer/e … 1/c263.htm

studyintaiwan.org/learning-chine … hinese.htm

the 2nd one is down.