Visa for foreign professionals, dependents

The key provisions of the law are listed below.

• Work permits for foreign professionals will be issued for five-year terms, instead of the current three years.
  • The Gold Card will be a combined work-and-residence permit that foreign professionals may apply for without needing an employer to sponsor them. Gold Cards will be granted for one- or three-year durations and will allow foreign workers to change jobs or look for a job without losing status. A new visa for foreign nationals seeking employment in Taiwan will be available with a maximum validity period of six months.
  • Foreigners holding permanent residency will no longer be required to stay in Taiwan for 183 days per year to maintain their permanent resident cards.
  • Foreign professionals who have been approved for permanent residence will be entitled to a pension under the Labor Pension Act. Full-time paid foreign teachers in the public school system may opt for a lump sum or monthly pension payment.
  • Foreign professionals whose annual salary exceeds 3 million New Taiwan dollars (about US$2.29 million) can deduct half of the excess (above NTD$3 million) for tax purposes in the first three years.
  • Dependents of foreign professionals with permanent residence only need to continually lawfully reside in Taiwan for five years and stay more than 183 days in each calendar year to be eligible for permanent residency, and they no longer need to show proof of assets.
  • Adult children of foreign professionals may apply for work permits without being sponsored by an employer.
  • Spouses, minor children and adult disabled children of foreign professionals are no longer required to wait a full six months after receiving their Alien Resident Certificate before being covered under the National Health Insurance system.
    Visas for visiting relatives are extended to a maximum of one year per visit, instead of the current six months.

Can someone please clarify the bold sentence at the bottom please?

1 Like
  • Foreigners holding permanent residency will no longer be required to stay in Taiwan for 183 days per year to maintain their permanent resident cards.

:point_up_2:
that is great!

Yes it is, but only if you went from a working ARC to APRC.
Going from a marriage ARC or an extended ARC to APRC does not qualify you for that. :worried:

It is said in Article 13 of
Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals

The visitor visas for the lineal ascendants of foreign (maybe special) professionals are extended to allow for a stay of up to one year at a time.

Home>Q&A>Family Visit Stay of Lineal Ascendants

https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/Content_List.aspx?n=A3F4CFF03E67E8D0

1 Like

Thanks that makes much more sense now. :+1:

Does this mean Permanent Residence is truly permanent in Taiwan? That I can go abroad for business for extended periods of time and return to Taiwan and pick up where I left off?

Also, while I appreciate the steps taken. We still want multicitizenship rules to be relaxed.

I am surprised the Taiwanese government only includes lineal family. Do they think they are the only ones with a million aunts, uncles and cousins?

you need to return to taiwan at least once in 5 years, iirc.

1 Like

You wouldn’t know for how long, would you?

Iirc, just need to enter. I’ll check it later.

Checked it now. Yes, just re-entering once in 5 years seems to be enough.

Article 18
Where a foreign professional, after having obtained approval for permanent residence from the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior, leaves the State for more than five years without re-entering, the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior, may revoke said person’s permanent residence permit and cancel said person’s Alien Permanent Resident Certificate, and the provisions of Article 33 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 4 of the Immigration Act do not apply.

2 Likes

5 years is a looooong time, I don’t see how someone would not return to Taiwan once in 5 years.

1 Like

It is a good deal :sunglasses:

Is this a one off, or can you get this multiple times if e.g. I leave TW after my first 3 years and come back 6 months later on a new visa? Also, if I change my JFRV to this gold card will the tax exemption kick in?

While this is good news, this news is about 14 months old …

That just means that we have some additional information :slight_smile: Some of the questions in this thread, including some experiences about getting relatives in under the Foreign Talent Act provisions, have been answered over at:

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/employment-gold-card-for-some-foreigners

2 Likes

From the text of the act:
https://ws.ndc.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9hZG1pbmlzdHJhdG9yLzI5L3JlbGZpbGUvMC8xMTM3Ny9mNjg0NjczMS1jNTA3LTRmYmItODBiOC1jZDg5NWI3NjAwZjgucGRm&n=MjAxNzEwMzFGb3JlaWduIFByb2Zlc3Npb25hbHMgQWN0IF9BcHByb3ZlZCBieSBMZWdpc2xhdGl2ZSBZdWFuLnBkZg%3D%3D&icon=..pdf

Where a foreign special professional is hired to engage in professional work, and has been approved for residence or permanent residence by the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior, a lineal ascendant of said person may apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or one of its overseas missions for the issuance of a visitor visa, valid for one year, for multiple entry, for a stay of up to six months, without annotation by the visa-issuing authority of a restriction disallowing extension or other limitation. In case of need to continue the stay, then prior to the expiration of the time limit on the stay, said person may apply for an extension to the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior, without having to leave the State. The total length of such stay is limited to a maximum of one year at a time, and is not subject to the six-month limitation of stay prescribed in Article 3 Subparagraph 7 of the Immigration Act.

Article 3 Subparagraph 7 of the Immigration Act specifies that “Visit: Means a visit in the Taiwan Area for the period of less than six (6) months.”The provision of Article 13 in this Act draws reference from Singapore, where the lineal ascendants of Employment Pass (EP) holders whose monthly salary eaches a specified level can apply for long-term family visitor visas. To enhance the inducements for foreign professionals to come to Taiwan, this Article stipulates that, in the case of foreign special professionals who are hired to engage in professional work and who have been approved for residence or permanent residence by the Ministry of the Interior’s National Immigration Agency, their lineal ascendants may apply to stay in Taiwan for a family visit, up to a maximum total period of one year for each stay, and this will not be subject to the six-month limit prescribed in Article 3 Subparagraph 7 of the Immigration Act, as cited above.

There’s some other stuff in there about dependent children. Worth a read of the PDF if you have the interest.

1 Like