Visa free to the UK for Taiwanese

I just heard from the missus and her eye in the sky that from 3rd March, Taiwanese citizens can go to the UK visa free for 6months

libertytimes.com.tw/2009/new … ay-fo4.htm (Chinese only I hope thats the correct link)

[quote=“Funk500”]I just heard from the missus and her eye in the sky that from 3rd March, Taiwanese citizens can go to the UK visa free for 6months

libertytimes.com.tw/2009/new … ay-fo4.htm (Chinese only I hope thats the correct link)[/quote]

Excellent! I had heard this was being discussed, but the thought of forged Taiwanese passports (from China) was putting the British Govt off doing this. Good to see they went ahead.

Can we expect a reciprocal agreement for UK citizens visiting here, I wonder?

Here it is in black, white and English: ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ … sevisitors

Finally, common sense has prevailed. The last time my wife and I visited the UK was a complete pain in the arse, visa-wise.

Damn it, my wife has 5 year visa and that was an expensive item - can we get a refund?

:discodance:

That’s going to save us $10K TWD on our summer holiday to England! Don’t have to get three visas for the family!

L. :smiley:

My girlfriend’s father told us about it this week - we were both ecstatic! The hassle and cost of getting the visa for Xmas was just so much. Glad now that when we get married next year, there’s no restrictions or additional costs for her family and friends to come to the UK party…

Really can’t wait for this to be reciprocated though… I guess it’s just a matter of time…

The UK should demand that TAiwan reciprocates. And if this happens I predict English English becoming more popular in Taiwan as more more people from the UK come to Taiwan and take advantage of the six months visa free and teach English?

Then TAiwanese wont just be exposed to Merican English?

You know what could also be a nice result from that? People not instantly expecting you to be American if you’re white! In fact if the floodgates opened, the tables could very much be turned…

Well for years, UK citizens got 14, then 30 days visa-free entry. During this time, the UK didn’t reciprocate.

And perhaps that’s why it won’t happen? Because of the risk of illegal working…

Anyway, I think its a good thing. It’s had zero coverage in the UK (I’m in London now). A real pity when those Taiwanese tourists start arriving and Brits muddle them up as coming from Thailand.

:laughing: No Taiwanese doing that in the UK. Oh no. None at all.

Anyone know what kind of documentation the UK officials expect to see when you go for visa free entry? The official website’s a bit vague.

Do they expect to see proof of each part of your itinerary? Or is it enough to show a letter from just one person among several you’re visiting? And does it make a difference either way if you’re accompanied by a real-life Brit?

Visa free to Ireland now as well from July 1. Ninety days.

asia.businesstraveller.com/asia- … iwanese-vi

I just entered the UK with my Taiwanese girlfriend last week, they didn’t ask for any documentation as I was standing there right next to her and they just asked what our relationship was, reason for the trip and how long we planned to stay (18 days). If it were longer than a month, they may have asked for supporting documentation, which we had prepared an invitation from my father, his passport photocopy and a recent bank statement of his (as the invite indicated he’d be supporting out stay).

Hope that helps,

Alex

[quote=“ALT83”]I just entered the UK with my Taiwanese girlfriend last week, they didn’t ask for any documentation as I was standing there right next to her and they just asked what our relationship was, reason for the trip and how long we planned to stay (18 days). If it were longer than a month, they may have asked for supporting documentation, which we had prepared an invitation from my father, his passport photocopy and a recent bank statement of his (as the invite indicated he’d be supporting out stay).

Hope that helps,

Alex[/quote]Thanks, Alex. That is helpful. Were you able to go through the same line in Immigration then?
I guess an invitation letter and bank statement would be a good idea anyway.

Well I lined up with my girlfriend for outside of EU entries (rather than her coming with me via the UK/EU entries queue). It’s quite a bit longer, but was fine. There were quite a few other Taiwanese girls in the queue who had either come together or alone and they were all being questioned more than us, so best you go through together.

Alex

I still want to take an invitation letter just in case. But if it needs to be accompanied with a bank statement, I don’t really want to bother my mum or dad for that. So I was thinking of writing one for my girlfriend myself. Someone else living here did that for a regular UK visa application for his Taiwanese wife last year, and it worked. Anyone else tried that?

Also, how much detail of the itinerary do people reckon I should prepare? In two weeks we’ll be staying in about five different locations; some with family and some at YHAs or something. I don’t really want to get letters from each family member, though.

Thanks for any more tips.

Me and my ladyfriend are off to England for a few weeks soon! Woop!

Now the question: We were thinking of taking a little trip over to Belgium for a couple of days while we were back in England, but when trying to get the visa she was told that she needed a letter of invitation from Belgium. Is that really necessary for a 2 night trip out of the UK? I don’t know any Belgians…

Also, anyone know if she can apply for the visa while in the UK at the TECO in London per chance?

Anyone up on the Schengen Rules?

EDIT: She’s decided to go for a visa to France, as Schengen Rules state that a visa to one EU country is good for all EU countries, but she thinks this means she has to go to (and i guess stop in or pass through border control or something) France first before she can use the visa in other EU countries. I thought that there weren’t border controls between EU countries on the mainland anymore. And if it’s good for all EU countries, why the need to stop in France first!?

Any clarification much appreciated!

[quote=“robinhood5000”]Me and my ladyfriend are off to England for a few weeks soon! Woop!

Also, anyone know if she can apply for the visa while in the UK at the TECO in London per chance?

Anyone up on the Schengen Rules?

EDIT: She’s decided to go for a visa to France, as Schengen Rules state that a visa to one EU country is good for all EU countries, but she thinks this means she has to go to (and i guess stop in or pass through border control or something) France first before she can use the visa in other EU countries. I thought that there weren’t border controls between EU countries on the mainland anymore. And if it’s good for all EU countries, why the need to stop in France first!?

Any clarification much appreciated![/quote]

I have tried to check info about Taiwanese citizens applying Schengen visas in the UK on various immigration forums but couldn’t find a 100 % sure answer. What I found though is that a Schengen visa most likely should be applied for in Taiwan and that applying in the UK will be impossible or at least a very complicated process. Once you have a Schengen visa it is good for any Schengen country and you can travel freely within Schengen without passport controls. Country of entry doesn’t have to be the country that issued the visa. The problem is the application process. When you friend applies for the visa they may deny her if they don’t think she plans to travel to their country. Invitation letters, hotel bookings etc may be required.

Greatbritain and Ireland already pushed forward …

I heard that all Schengen-countries also are in talks to give tw people free tourist-visas.
My source says that it would already have happened along time ago, if there would be not this China/Taiwan controversity …

Problem is that Schengen now has around 15 participating countries, and the decision has to be done by all members - if just one country pulls out, that would put the process years ahead …

Well, as a big country England gave their ok.
It is a fact, that there are hardly any tw people misusing the visas like overstaying etc.
Economics are not a concern at all, as Taiwan is by far the most advanced defacto country still needing a visa …
Political reason well could be a concern, but as far as I know there was never a recent case of political asylum of a tw in Europe.

Hongkong people don’t need a visa at all. Well, as China treats Hongkong and Taiwan more or less the same (one country - 2 systems) - where is the logic for the EU to treat Taiwan different than to Hongkong ??

Again, talks are on the way - let’s hope that this matter is finally done withing this or next year …

And before you ask, no I don’t quote my source here …

Ta very much for the info, ailixin!

I’ll tell her to get busy right away!