Visa from Japan as a US citizen

:unamused: Hey, I have a dilemma for whomever feels like entertaining me with their wisdom. TECO (Osaka, Japan office) told me today that I would need to show a round-trip plane ticket in order to process my visa applicationā€“Iā€™m looking for a 60 or 90-day visitorā€™s visa, enough time to find an amployer to sponsor me. I do not have an employer (yet) in Taiwan already preparing my ARC. A visa, by the way, is $110 U.S. (12,000 yen). :arrow_right: Any other good ideas on how to get out of purchasing a round-trip ticket?

:arrow_right: Is entering with a one-way ticket on a regular 30-day visa a bad idea? A friend in Taipei got in that way but isnā€™t there a safer way? Seems like a crap shoot.

I do like gambling thoughā€¦

Thanks!
Jody

If you donā€™t have a visa or a ticket out of Taiwan, the airline wonā€™t want to let you on the plane. Buy a ticket from Taiwan to HK (or Japan - might be cheaper there), and then cancel it when you get back. Itā€™ll probably cots you about 1000 NT in cancellation fees.

brian

Dirty pool old man, no reason the old lady should be out of $1000NT when for under $300NT she can buy then return/refund a ticket from China airlines(buy it directly from them for HK). Personally I use the whole school thing for visas to avoid the hassle.

Go to CLI, get your school papers and then apply for a 60 day to study Chinese. If you find an employer in those 60 days then youā€™re home free, otherwise you have to use the whole round ticket thing which is cheaper, actually now that I think about it. I would go with the round ticket because it gives you more leeway for a lot less money.

Good luck and CHina Airlines main office is on Nanjing Rd near Nanjing MRT station

CYA
Okami

Is that a specific rule concerning Japan? When I came to Taiwan, I had a one way ticket in and a visitor visa. Eva let me on the plane and Taiwanese authorities let me in the country. This was from the USA.

Difference being that you had a visa that time. the airlines donā€™t want to let you on if they think immigration might turn you away, so you have to have a visa. Some places also make you show a return ticket to GET the visa.

Brian

:mrgreen: Thanks for all the advice!! Iā€™ve thought about signing up for classes with CLI but am planning on living in Taichung. Howā€™s attendance? Iā€™ve read on this web site and others about schools in Taichung offering classes, but the consensus seems to be that attendance is fairly strict at the 4 schools I read about (i canā€™t recall which ones at the moment).

:?: How about entering with a round-trip ticket and just not using the ā€œreturnā€ part of it? What are the chances that the airlines will report it to immigration?

:bulb: Since 30-day visitorā€™s visas are granted automatically now (i was just in taiwan a few weeks ago), it would give me enough time to either sign up for classes and make a visa run, or find a job and make a visa run. :?: Is this accurate? ā€¦Thatā€™s if I can get into the country at all :?

To clear things upā€¦in order to obtain a visa longer than 30 days (ie. 60-day, 90-day) from Japan to Taiwan, TECO in Osaka requires proof of a round-trip ticket as part of the application process and it costs about $110 US (12,000 yen).

Thank you thank you for any and all info youā€™ve got!!

[quote]How about entering with a round-trip ticket and just not using the ā€œreturnā€ part of it? What are the chances that the airlines will report it to immigration?

Since 30-day visitorā€™s visas are granted automatically now (I was just in Taiwan a few weeks ago), it would give me enough time to either sign up for classes and make a visa run, or find a job and make a visa run. Is this accurate? ā€¦Thatā€™s if I can get into the country at all

To clear things upā€¦in order to obtain a visa longer than 30 days (ie. 60-day, 90-day) from Japan to Taiwan, TECO in Osaka requires proof of a round-trip ticket as part of the application process and it costs about $110 US (12,000 yen).
[/quote]

I strongly recommend you get the return trip ticket and get a 60 day visa, otherwise you will have to leave after 30 days whether you take classes or get a work visa.

Brian

And how risky is it to come over on a round-trip ticket and not return?

Jody - If you are an American, you will want to avoid the Feng Chia University Language Center. The director there is an anti-American Belgian. Dong Hai is quite good, but it is further out from the city. Providence is actually in Taichung County. CLI is closer to downtown and in a very active are with students from local high schools and colleges. There is also a wonderful night market (which actually starts a little after noon) where you will never go hungry.

Arigatou everyone!! :wink:

In the past I have bought a full fare ticket one-way ticket TPE-HKG direct from Cathay which is instantly refundable, minus a few NT. Make sure you buy the full fare ticket at the office in Taipei, and they can refund cash. (Basically what Brian said) I think I paid around NT$8k, and it cost 200NT to refund. Show this ticket to the chaps in Osaka.

Thanks for the pearlsā€¦they go a long way. :wink:

I donā€™t think I was clear in my initial question. I am not in Taiwan yet and am in the process of finalizing things here in Japan (where Iā€™ve been living for the past 2 years) to move to that little island called Formosa. Iā€™m wondering the best way to get into the country ONLY in regards to plane tickets (iā€™ll worry about visa runs once i get there). The reason I ask is because a one-way ticket from Osaka to Taipei costs about $750US and a round-trip costs $350US. Obviously, the round-trip is a money-saver and I would rather purchase the cheaper ticket, of course. But will they hunt me down if i donā€™t use the ā€˜returnā€™ portion of the ticket (ie. not return to japan/stay in taiwan) :?:

Anyone have any insight or experience with this?
Thanks!

No.

OK! on my way to formosa then! :mrgreen:
Thank you!