Visa options for American spouse of a NWOHR

My whole family are US citizens. Through my Taiwanese parents I am able to get a NWOHR passport for myself, my daughter, and my son, but cannot get anything for my husband. We’re thinking about spending some extended time living in Taiwan and understand that my husband can come in on a special COVID visitor visa and on the 15th day after entry apply for an ARC because he is my spouse.

It sounds like to do the application properly he needs to have a criminal background check. However through some of the comments on the forum here I’ve discovered that:

1. Due to COVID, FBI background checks are halted and unavailable for the foreseeable future.
  2. State or local police criminal background checks are not accepted anymore for an ARC application

Based on these two things, it seems impossible for my husband to file for an ARC. So my question is, does that mean we’re just shit out of luck? That no matter what he can only come in on a visitor visa and will have to do a visa run after N days until COVID is over?

Additionally questions:

1. Does somebody have a link that lists the exact documents needed for a foreign spouse of a NWOHR? This link (https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-281-b948e-2.html) oddly lists that one of the documents needed to apply for a residence permit (which I thought was called an ARC) is an existing ARC and also doesn’t mention anything about a criminal background check.

2. Are there some limits to be aware of when doing visitor visa runs? Presumably if getting a ARC really doesn’t work out, can he can leave and fly back within a few days in perpetuity?

did you confirm this?

Good point, not yet but I will now. I think the bigger question is IS it necessary? According to this link (https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-281-b948e-2.html) there is absolutely no mention of a criminal background check.

Currently foreigners can not come and get a 30 days landing visa. It might change next month.

From what I’ve read foreigners can qualify to get a visitor visa under just a few special circumstances, one of which is being a spouse of an ROC national.

You may ask to your TECO to confirm it first. Then FbI if they say your spouse needs it.

1 Like

Do you have a Household Registration in Taiwan?

I do not though my mother does and she is currently residing there. Does a NWOHR not count as an ROC national?

I believe this isn’t possible atm. If it was, your husband would do 14+7 days quarantine upon landing. Fly out somewhere to Visa run (where he might need to quarantine) and then fly back again for 14+7 days quarantine in Taiwan.

Best to check with your local TECO and FBI what his options are.

1 Like

Household registration confers the rights we would associate with citizenship. A year of living here would grant you the household registration. With household registration, your husband would be able to apply for a JFRV.

3 Likes

Would my husband be able to apply under my mother’s household registration since they are technically related by marriage?

Spouse of a resident can be granted a dependent residency, as you may understand.

I am gonna say…no. It’s possible I am wrong but I’ve never heard of son-in-laws getting JFRVs.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, on dependent visa your husband won’t be allowed to work while in Taiwan.

You could look into your husband getting a visitor visa for the purpose of vising a relative (MIL)

1 Like

So it’s settled. @jozilla’s husband will be a house husband for a year. Then he gets his JFRV.

Kidding :grin:

Basically on lockdown with MIL in Taiwan doing chores. A dream! /s

1 Like

Jackpot!

Although, if he is from an English speaking country with a uni degree he could simply get the visa and ARC to teach for a year.

1 Like

for this, fbi check is mandatory.

lol, yes my husband would LOVE to be a house husband :wink:

I actually didn’t know he could be filed as my dependent. Do you have a link to any documentation so I can read up on this?

1 Like