Visa Questions!

I have overstayed almost a month whilst trying to sort out a new job with ARC, but that hasn’t happened yet, so I’m off anyway before I get into too much trouble. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I get a visitor visa? Can a landing visa be converted to an ARC? Can a visitor visa be converted?

2. How long do Brits get for landing visas and visitor visas? Thirty days? Sixty days?

3. Where’s the best place to get a visitor visa? I’d like to do Bangkok, but I’m easy.

4. What do I need to get the visitor visa? Cash, onward tickets, etc. ?

Many thanks in advance!

Stray Dog

[quote]1. Should I get a visitor visa?[/quote] If you can, yes.

[quote]Can a landing visa be converted to an ARC? [/quote] No. Note that landing visas have been replaced by 30-day visa-free entry but you may not be able to get this because of your overstaying.

[quote]Can a visitor visa be converted?[/quote] Yes.

[quote]2. How long do Brits get for landing visas and visitor visas? Thirty days? Sixty days?[/quote] 30-day visa-free entry, visitor visas 30 and 60 days (60-day ones are hard to get in Asia unless you’ve signed up for Chinese classes).

I don’t think that there is any clear favourite. Bangkok is a cheap place to stay but the office tends to be strict.

[quote]
4. What do I need to get the visitor visa? Cash, onward tickets, etc. ?[/quote] Yes

You’re pushing it.

They might not let you back in at all.

Brian

Forget about the visa-free entry/landing visa. Having overstayed, you can’t get one for a year. Therefore you need to apply abroad for a visitor visa. You should be able to get one if you show documents proving you have a job application under way. When you have gained permission to work, you can get your visitor visa replaced with a resident visa, which you then use to get your alien residence permit from the police.

Kuala Lumpur is said to be a good place to make your visa appliction. Good luck.

[quote=“Juba”]Forget about the visa-free entry/landing visa. Having overstayed, you can’t get one for a year. Therefore you need to apply abroad for a visitor visa. You should be able to get one if you show documents proving you have a job application under way. When you have gained permission to work, you can get your visitor visa replaced with a resident visa, which you then use to get your alien residence permit from the police.

Kuala Lumpur is said to be a good place to make your visa appliction. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks all; this had exactly the advice I was looking for, so thanks esepecially Juba.

Want anything from KL?

p.s. Documents to prove have application under way = what exactly?

Copy of application submitted by your employer to the relevant government department. Copies of any correspondence from the relevant government departments to your employer. Maybe a letter from your employer explaining that he/she intends to employ you, and a copy of the employer’s business license. The more, the better.

The Kuala Lumpur TECO office
Suite 8.06-8.07, Level 8, Amoda Building
22, Jalan Imbi
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
Phone: (603)2141-9558, 2145-2335
Fax: (603)2142-2186
E-mail: tecoid@tm.net.my

is next to the Melia Hotel KL
Jalan Imbi, 16
55100 Kuala Lumpur ( MALAYSIA )
Tf. (+603) 21 428333
Fax 426623
Mail melia.kuala.lumpur@solmelia.com .

It is a pretty reasonable rate hotel and well situated in KL to let you see a lot of city spots easily like the Central Market, Petaling Street, KL Towers, Petronas Towers, Bintang Walk etc.

Thanks for the advice. Got a 60-day non-extendable no problem from Bangkok.

Cheers for all the help!

Stray Dog

[quote]Got a 60-day non-extendable no problem from Bangkok.

Cheers for all the help!

Stray Dog[/quote]

Well done, Stray Dog. You must be breathing a little easier these days. Thanks for letting us know what happened. Did they ask to see proof of money and/or onward ticket?