Visa Run - Duration of 2nd Visitor Visa

Hi,

Couldn’t find the answer to this one by doing searches on the web, or on this site, for that matter… When someone goes outside of Taiwan (e.g., HK, Okinawa) to get a new visitor visa, do we only get a 30-day, or is it still possible to get another 60-day (which is what I came to Taiwan with)?

Thanks.

I only got 30 days from the office in Bankok. That was in 2004 though.

Hope this helps. L.

You most likely will hear different answers from different locations within and without Taiwan. I asked the same question to the TECO in Seattle.

Their answer: You dont need to do a Visa run if you have a 60 day extendable. You can just extend it within Taiwan.

If you leave Taiwan during your 60 day Visa and you need back in, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit before you leave. You will also need an outward-onward ticket from Taipei to some other location in the World.

If you have a “non-extendable” Visa and are visa running to get a 2nd Visa…well that is a whole different ball park…

In that case you are at the mercy of whatever official location you are applying at. Be sure to bring all the right documents to show why you need 60 days, rather than 30 days. If you can show proof of why you need to stay longer than 30 days, then you shouldnt have a problem.

Things that could help: Employment Offer/Contract, Enrollment Papers at a University or MOE approved Language School, etc.

Good luck!

Derek, Limey,

Thanks for the quick replies. TECO in Ottawa, Canada, gave me a “no extension” 60-Visa. I will be going to Okinawa with paperwork showing that I have an employer who’s currently applying for my work visa (we ran out of time, though).

Good news: You are going to Okinawa! Have fun! It’s a great place if you look past all the US bases… :raspberry: And I hear that the TECO office there is much easier to get things done at rather than places like Hong Kong.

Bad news: You will most likely (99% sure) get only a 30 day non-extendable visa in Okinawa. Why? Because that is what the TECO in Canada gave you and you dont really have solid proof that you must stay in Taiwan longer than 30 days (Their reasoning: your employer should get you a work permit within those 30 days)

But dont worry…as long as your employer gets your work permit, you can apply from within Taiwan to get your Resident Visa and to get your ARC. Just be sure to be on the ball here…you will only have less than 30 days to get this done, or face a 2nd visa run.

[quote=“derek1978”]You most likely will hear different answers from different locations within and without Taiwan. I asked the same question to the TECO in Seattle.

Their answer: You dont need to do a Visa run if you have a 60 day extendable. You can just extend it within Taiwan.

If you leave Taiwan during your 60 day Visa and you need back in, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit before you leave. You will also need an outward-onward ticket from Taipei to some other location in the World.

If you have a “non-extendable” Visa and are visa running to get a 2nd Visa…well that is a whole different ball park…

In that case you are at the mercy of whatever official location you are applying at. Be sure to bring all the right documents to show why you need 60 days, rather than 30 days. If you can show proof of why you need to stay longer than 30 days, then you shouldnt have a problem.

Things that could help: Employment Offer/Contract, Enrollment Papers at a University or MOE approved Language School, etc.

Good luck![/quote]

maybe stupid question :blush: , but…how do you know whether it’s a extendable or non-extendable visa you got??
I’ve got 60 days, and want to extend for 30 days more on a visitor visa.